Rendering Multiple Portals

If you watch the Boundless trailer from the Paris Games Week, you will see that multiple portals are being rendered at once. (go to around 0:55)

The game in its current state, however, only renders one at a time. I was wondering whether we could have an option to render multiple at a time, or whether that is impossible.
@james will probably know :joy:

I believe they used to, but it was a performance hit as you’d be downloading and rendering several worlds worth of data at the same time

1 Like

I get that, but it would be cool if there was an option, so if your PC and internet were good enough you could render multiple.
But the fact that this happened before means that it is possible, so I guess this is more of a suggestion now…

2 Likes

Believe me, they are still all downloading all at once when you enter a Hub. My harddisc is really loud, I can hear when something is downloading. (Don’t ask, it was cheap :rofl:)
You can also tell by the fact that you can switch portal views immediately once they are all loaded.
So i guess its only a client hardware concern.

Which brings me to another issue: They don’t seam to care for any priority while downloading. I have to wait a lot in hubs because other portals load before the one I’m looking at.

1 Like
  1. Engine supports rendering many portals - it’s a config option. We plan to expose it. (If you know the param you can control it now.)

2. Next release contains and updated portal rendering and selection heuristic which includes the portal you’re currently looking at. This will give players more direct control.

5 Likes

I’m always one thought late behind the devs. Hahar :rofl:
Thank you so much!

Sooo what’s the parameter? :joy: Regardless, sounds good to me :+1:

1 Like

Theoretically… @james, is there a way to find all parameters for config.json? Asking for a friend :joy:

2 Likes

Well I suppose you could examine the executable and look for any strings that sound like they could potentially be part of the config.json and assuming they are at the root of the json object try and poke it that way, may take a long time though ;p

1 Like