šŸ” Rental Planet Terrain & Formation

Especially since a lot of us are already paying for Gleam Club.

1 Like

That was my thinking exactly - if there is a GC that we pay for, than adding excessive price for renting world(s) would defeat the purpose and could become a ā€œGC or renting a worldā€ dilemma for a lot of players.

I suppose it makes sense to offer a world renting price that can work with GC cost for most GC subscribers.

1 Like

If theyā€™re $5-10/month Iā€™ll be quite excited as that means Iā€™ll grab a few of them!. I guess I have tempered expectations

I donā€™t change my characters a lot or have a ton of random beacons.

I canā€™t find Jamesā€™ comment but if I didnā€™t have to fuel beacons on my owned world I would consider rolling my GC expense into the cost of a world, and just fuel my relatively few remote beacons.

Iā€™m not sure. Overall though Iā€™m more happy for the space likely to open up on public worlds than I am for the thought of my own sovereign world. Thatā€™s been the case for me since the beginning, though. I did come here attracted by the opportunity for a persistent presence in public worlds.

Regardless of cost I personally donā€™t see myself ever paying for a fully private (even creative) world. The reason Iā€™m participating in discussion on these worlds is that if I find the cost reasonable I might want to add to the available public/semi-public space and available colors/materials.

It would have to be a planet I find pleasant though and thatā€™s why Iā€™m more interested in discussion regarding biomes and terrain than colors. I find the color situation acceptable, even generous, as shown.

3 Likes

We can all speculate and talk about our preferences or ideas as much as we want. Iā€™m just hopeful that once the weekend ends we get answers to our many questions over the next few days!

5 Likes

I think my biggest concern/fear? of it being more money is if itā€™s $5-10 then it will be quite easy for people to throw $100 a month or whatever at ā€˜cyclingā€™ worlds to unlock colorsā€¦ thats 10-20 new worlds cycled in/out to color/biome hunt.

If thatā€™s a possibility I think we would certainly see players doing that.

But like you and Clexarews just said, the speculation is all over the place until weā€™re able to get some facts to actually discuss. Though I must say, the not knowing what is ahead is both exciting and well exciting :slight_smile: Regardless it seems to be something enjoyable.

2 Likes

I just hope thereā€™s a spot with rolling hills, a bit of forest, and a lake or river :blush: on mine.
(It would be great to be able to select atmosphere color/tint and water color/tint. )

2 Likes

Yup Iā€™m expecting them to be around $20-30. And will happily pay that for 1or 2 consonantly. But if itā€™s in the $5-15 range Iā€™ll be spinning up a bunch and probably keep more than 2. But either way there will be some that I get only for a month as Iā€™ll be on the hunt for my colors.

1 Like

Am positive they will be below 20 for the cheapest option

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to envision how the biome selection would work hereā€¦ Clearly, Ross canā€™t sit there with each new applicant and go back and forth on every detail:

ā€œHowā€™s it look now?ā€

ā€œEh, I was thinking of something with more mountainsā€¦ā€

ā€œā€¦ OK, how about now?ā€

ā€œEhhhā€¦ OK, maybe some more cowbell too.ā€

ā€œā€¦ OK, how about now?ā€

I imagine that any Wonderstruck employeeā€™s time is too expensive to be doing that with every single person when thereā€™s a chance they might only rent for a month or two. So I figure that this thing has gotta go down one of only a couple different paths.

1. Allow for an extremely personalized level of customization and customer care (as above), but require a minimum subscription length in order to fully compensate them for their time.

2. Allow for a selection from a handful of unusual biome types that already exist in their library and can be easily replicated on the fly. Say, submit your top 5 and then let the world builder algorithms work their mojo. This library would probably grow over time as they get more feedback from exoworlds, etc.

3. For those who will settle for nothing but perfectionā€¦ Take the Do-It-Yourself approach and tinker with the world builder until you find something thatā€™s just right, and then submit that along with your entry fee to get things started. This could also draw from the ā€œbiome libraryā€ I was daydreaming about in #2.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEASTā€¦ AS YET ANOTHER ARGUMENT IN FAVOR OF UNLIMITED PLOTTING ON RENTAL WORLDS:

You can always go around and smooth out the rough spots whenever and wherever you find them!

2 Likes

i want a pretty river valley on my rental planet. if not im cancelling immediately.

Pretty sure a conversation like this would probably end up leading to an ā€˜fuā€™ emojiā€¦

-or-

IMG_1852

4 Likes

Some of us used a trick learned from Jiivita.
ā€¦ Dig in the wall just above the water level a few blocksā€¦
ā€¦ Get in the hole and then go back to the Sanctum.
ā€¦ Reenter the world, Eh voila, you are back on top of it.

Next, we learned how to build bridges of dirt to go across them canals.
No need for them fancy grapples :+1:

We were smart then ā€¦
and we stayed on [Beckon] :sunglasses:
Nowadays it seems I have got the entire planet to my self.
ā€¦ almost like a free rental :grinning:

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping to get a planet like this with floating islands :pray:

2 Likes

Literally LOLā€™ed. :rofl:

On terrain, Iā€™m thinking now of keeping two rentals if I can at all afford it, with one of them being a T6 - on that one, terrain would be critical, because Iā€™d be doing that to create a big public gem mine world, basically. With exos, seen HUGE variation in gem counts due to terrain. Iā€™m leaning towards toxic or corrosive - with those, Iā€™d want as much water as possible. But considering Burn too for rubies (Alcyon currently best but still not that good) - for that, if I could make it an ā€œAridā€ world, I could hit the jackpot, the rubies spawn well under the desert biomes from what Iā€™ve seen.

For my other, a T3 or 4 lush, really as long as I have a few flat biomes to build on Iā€™d be happy. :slight_smile: Would sort of like a nice variation on that one. That will be my main, and be all about looks (the pink Barbie world). :grin:

2 Likes

BarbiePakaā€™s home world! :joy:

Just to be sure:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ā€¦ Hey, you think if I asked real nice, theyā€™d bring back Amatis :heart: and let me rent it? :thinking:

Big floating glass and gleam hearts should TOTALLY be a terrain option! :grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

The primary ā€œNodeā€ in the World generator is what the color options plug into. On this same ā€œNodeā€ are slider gauges. One controls the biome noise, or how scrambled things are and one controls the biome size, which to me almost has an effect on how sharp the individual biomes are. Since these are all in the same ā€œNodeā€, I wonder how hard it could be to add them to the same interface used to select color?

Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s something theyā€™re saving for creative planets, or if itā€™s something they are planning to add later to rentals. I wouldnā€™t image itā€™s going be a feature for rentals when they 1st come out (could be 100% wrong though).