Rental Servers - timeline and suggestions?

Both of these are exceptionally unlikely, as it assumes that everyone in the game is either going to quit or start shelling over $20-100 each, per month. No one is going to pay that kind of money for a world just like any other world of the same tier, and similarly some people just wont pay that but love the game and keep playing.

If a large enough group of people start paying that kind of additional money (which WS is obviously going to profit on), they will be able to put resources into the game to make it better so more people play. If done well this seems like win-win.

I think the bigger fear is the game is dead before this can happen, not that this would kill it (if done in a not-stupid way).

There is no way private servers can be part of the main game unless you remove custom rules…and then, what’s the point?

You’re wrong.

I have a private server. I add my custom rules and colors and such.

What’s next? I need players.

Who am I going to invite?

Well, my friends and family, of course. But that would be boring. you need lots of people to make Boundless fun.

So I then go into the game and look for people to join. I’m not going to pick just anybody, I’m going to grab the best players, the best forgers, the best builders.

Now, multiply this by the number of private servers.

It’s called a brain drain.

The main game will still be there, but when 2/3 of the cities melt into the Earth and the portal hubs go away, who will want to play?

Private servers will kill this game.

2 Likes

But why are those players going to leave everything they have spent 100s-1000s of hours to build to come start over with you? Because you have a few shades of rock that aren’t in the main game? I don’t buy that for a second.

1 Like

Why does anyone want to play on a private server? Custom rules.

What, you think people on private servers are going to maintain portals or keep working in the main game if they have to maintain their private characters as well? Not a chance. The game is way too time consuming for that.

And how many “guilds” of like-minded players are going to pool their resources for servers?

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Okay, sure, but you specifically said “the best players” right? The top tier builders and crafters and such. Why do they care about custom rules, they mastered these ones? They don’t need the grind reduced, they don’t need creative mode to get their blocks, they don’t need upped spawn rates to farm their mats. So, again, what reason do these people have to leave the main game, to come pay an additional subscription with you (server fees), to then worry about you quitting and them losing everything. This is not going to happen in any real number.

Edit: What this may do, is get people that quit a week after launch because the game sucked to come back and try again in a private world that they can play with. These people are currently not playing the game, or playing very little. Them playing again is good for everyone, even if we never see them on Boori.

I have about 20 ideas for builds. I’m still working on gathering resources for my 2nd build. I would place myself firmly in the category of " I like to build (not saying I’m any good), I’ve mastered the mechanics on live, and I’d rather change them on my own private server (or rental server or whatever), provided the choice."

There is a market for sure.

1 Like

I’m not denying there is a market, simply that the market is large enough that it will instantly, obviously, cripple/kill the main universe. A lot of people want private servers, and if I can be done in a way that doesn’t stall the development of the main game, I am all for it.

1 Like

Alot of P2W that I have encountered is ease of access. you can throw money at the game to reduce the grind. mild or not, it is still P2W. The 2nd part of your statement I agree with but this is why I support micro transactions that give cosmetic perks and the like, along with an optional subscription fee.

Doesn’t mean we should try to make it even worse. inless the devs have given up on that aspect of the game ever happening at any point.

No that is not enough. If I can not control who can build on the world or visit then why connect it to the main universe? I might as well get some friends and form a private universe. All that does is reduce the population in the main universe but if that is the only option available it is the one I will take. I hope. The developers follow through with what they have stated and I can rent a planet in the public universe and control access, pick colors, and still move through the rest of the universe.

Why connect it to the main universe if you want to prevent people from even stepping foot on it? I can understand the argument about controlling who can place a plot on it and who cannot. I feel limiting access to who can and can not even step foot on that world is Anti-MMO just a little bit.

That’s not going to happen. Not unless you expect them to require you to empty your inventory of anything unique to your world before returning to the main universe.

Because what want is a place where I can build unmolested for years if I choose. I want to add colors to the universe that might not exist. I want to be able to design a planet and slowly fill it with my builds and builds of my friends without having to plot everything at once.

I want what was promised when I bought the game as much as the players that keep mentioning titans do.

1 Like

I will disagree, if something is that rare someone else will add a planet with it or the developers can add planets with any resource they want. And in any case how would this be different than someone buying plots and plotting all of an existing resource?

If other people cannot plot on your world, then how would you be molested by people coming to have a look around at what you built when they cannot do anything to it?

This dives back into the P2W topic we had a debate about a month ago. So I think you already understand how I feel or would say when done in combo with an ACL.

Colors you can’t get anywhere but your private world are, obviously, PTW.

Are they, though? Pay 2 Experience, maybe, but what “winning” is someone doing with different block colors? If the only thing people could control on these planets was the color scheme, I don’t think there would be a problem, but it also limits the market for who might rent one of these.

2 Likes

Can people come look, depends on if the can mine and gather. If they can mine and gather then I would not want them on the planet. Why do I want people destroying the natural environment around my build? It is something I already have to struggle with in the public universe.

I know you think it can be p2w. We are going to just have to disagree. You can twist buying plots to reserve a rare resource as p2w using the same logic.

1 Like

TBF, this doesn’t impact you at all, really. The world regen will fix it in a day if the tear up the surface, and if they go mining you will never even know.