Request to stop nerfing footfall

@JackRabbit same thing was happening with my bridge settlement. See people, lots of people, coming and going. Check the beacon that night, 80 coins.

This is an actual problem and not a simple matter of defective perception. Footfall is not something that appears 6-8 weeks later.

i literraly shed a tear image

first time someone actually though about how much work we do ^^ thank you !!

15 Likes

Dude, Can i link up with you tonight to set up a portal? I was listening to my bro set one up 2 nights ago (Davanzati) and he said you were really easy to work with. (Also very busy)

I read that yall are only relocating “existing portals” right now, so i understand if i have to wait. I’ll get on discord tonight.

In about 24 hours we will be opening the remaining shop portals to everyone. Cause we gave current shops enough time to reserve spots by then. Although I can’t promise there will be any avail right away, but portals are constantly closing, so if that’s the case just keep an eye out for “available” portal signs.

1 Like

ive seen many people running smaller hubs those links take away footfall as well maybe

I think the problem was already tracked down in the other topic about this, linked earlier:

And also because of how the cooldown is saved: its not a permanent save and gets cleared in case the world with the beacon, or all servers in the case of patches, goes offline for whatever reason, or crashes, etc.

So, my hypothesis is that with servers crashing less lately, it became more obvious that the 24 hour cooldown was not working as intended, leading to the decreased footfall we’re seeing recently.

3 Likes

Honestly i’ve just restarted last week and there are many hubs i’ve been exploring, just to find my routes and shops i like.

There are a lot. Several smaller ones too alongside the multiple big hubs. Eventually the hubs will need a draw to them, well organized, multiple reasons to visit (Hint. Hint. FREE MINES and reserved gathering spots), small bits of entertainment mazes whatever etc.

A collection of shops is nice. But if that’s the only draw, you’ve more competition coming every day. Did I mention free mines? And Whatever happened to the hunters highway from beta? I could do these whatever happened too’s forever :D. A chain of portals to remote (even reserved) FLAT hunting areas would also boost your traffic from hunters, as it always used to.

1 Like

Aye. And if it’s really 24 days cooldown atm, that would explain massive drops in footfall as the days go on.

This is all fine. At least for me, I look forward to other hubs appearing. It takes pressure off the other hubs.

Particularly as the days go on without crashes or resets for patches. The last few weeks have been more stable than the first month, so the problem became way more noticeable.

Now that @lucadeltodecso found the, erm, minor mathematical mistake making it 24 days instead of hours, I’m sure it’ll be fixed shortly and everyone will go back to seeing footfall that is more proportional to traffic, instead of hitting the unique visits cap in between patches / crashes and then seeing a massive drop in footfall.

1 Like

Instead of 24 hours, maybe we can get it set to 24 seconds.

1 Like

I assume this is another one of your bait posts, Bruv?

3 Likes

Just making a joke. I mean they messed up and it made things worse. Why can’t they ever mess up and make things better? Like Bomb Mining was originally an error that people liked better.

3 Likes

Well, now that the mystery is solved any ETA on a fix? Before our beloved portal hubs have to downsize x_x

Seriously, portals ain’t cheap.

I wanted to get it into the next release straight away, but been pointed out that we do need to look at the balancing of the footfall first since we’ve been having footfall at unexpectedly uneven intervals, and putting it straight to 24hr would likely mean even “more” footfall coin than when the servers were unstable.

3 Likes

More!! :dollar::yen::euro::pound::moneybag:

Edit ok maybe more is not good no need to create inflation.

Perhaps switching it to 24 hours and then adjusting the footfall - settlement rank table as needed would be easier.

I mean, with the unpredictable (or stable but extremely long) cooldown, it seems harder to predict how to balance it, since the footfall information you’ll be receiving will be all over the place.

(Patch hits, settlements get 500000 coins in footfall in the next few days, then 0 for the next 20 days… etc)

2 Likes

Or, a different approach: if there’s worry that fixing the broken code might break the economy because of the high footfall earners, then it might be simpler to introduce a ceiling, some sort of daily (or weekly, or whatever) cap to total footfall that can be earned, which can then be increased or decreased as needed to finetune the generation of coins and prevent inflation.

1 Like

Or two other Suggestions.

First, just removing Footfall all together. There is nothing to balance, if the feature doesn’t exist anymore.

Second, is to remove the “settlement rank table”. Every person that walks into a Beacon is worth the same Footfall Coin, no matter how good or bad the beacon looks.

Prestiage, value of blocks, is a broken system. What one person sees as looking good, is different than someone else. What’s more, as seen with Gleam Towers, or Gleam Vaults, it’s a system that is broken and abused very heavily. So you should NOT have Footfall, or Mayor, or ANYTHING attached to it. Just let it be a fancy number, and nothing else.

Perhaps we should just scratch everything and make the game “Minecraft” creative mode. :confused:

Let “Boundless” have its features that set it apart. All the complaints I hear, I just keep thinking “then why not go play Minecraft?”.

Edit: to elaborate— when I first played Boundless, every feature/game mechanic I discovered I was like “oh hey! Cool!” “Ha! That’s neat!”

I like Boundless, because of what it’s NOT, it’s not Minecraft. I love MC, but after over 5+ years, I’ve had my fill. I would like to see the devs (and players) embrace the game and its features. Trust the devs. Let them make their game. Community input (a vocal minority) will just make everything convoluted and watered down. I would prefer to see the devs make their game with conviction.

RDR2 is doing quite well, and had basically zero input from pleebs outside the studio.

I’m sure Boundless can do the same.

5 Likes