Request to stop nerfing footfall

Particularly as the days go on without crashes or resets for patches. The last few weeks have been more stable than the first month, so the problem became way more noticeable.

Now that @lucadeltodecso found the, erm, minor mathematical mistake making it 24 days instead of hours, I’m sure it’ll be fixed shortly and everyone will go back to seeing footfall that is more proportional to traffic, instead of hitting the unique visits cap in between patches / crashes and then seeing a massive drop in footfall.

1 Like

Instead of 24 hours, maybe we can get it set to 24 seconds.

1 Like

I assume this is another one of your bait posts, Bruv?

3 Likes

Just making a joke. I mean they messed up and it made things worse. Why can’t they ever mess up and make things better? Like Bomb Mining was originally an error that people liked better.

3 Likes

Well, now that the mystery is solved any ETA on a fix? Before our beloved portal hubs have to downsize x_x

Seriously, portals ain’t cheap.

I wanted to get it into the next release straight away, but been pointed out that we do need to look at the balancing of the footfall first since we’ve been having footfall at unexpectedly uneven intervals, and putting it straight to 24hr would likely mean even “more” footfall coin than when the servers were unstable.

3 Likes

More!! :dollar::yen::euro::pound::moneybag:

Edit ok maybe more is not good no need to create inflation.

Perhaps switching it to 24 hours and then adjusting the footfall - settlement rank table as needed would be easier.

I mean, with the unpredictable (or stable but extremely long) cooldown, it seems harder to predict how to balance it, since the footfall information you’ll be receiving will be all over the place.

(Patch hits, settlements get 500000 coins in footfall in the next few days, then 0 for the next 20 days… etc)

2 Likes

Or, a different approach: if there’s worry that fixing the broken code might break the economy because of the high footfall earners, then it might be simpler to introduce a ceiling, some sort of daily (or weekly, or whatever) cap to total footfall that can be earned, which can then be increased or decreased as needed to finetune the generation of coins and prevent inflation.

1 Like

Or two other Suggestions.

First, just removing Footfall all together. There is nothing to balance, if the feature doesn’t exist anymore.

Second, is to remove the “settlement rank table”. Every person that walks into a Beacon is worth the same Footfall Coin, no matter how good or bad the beacon looks.

Prestiage, value of blocks, is a broken system. What one person sees as looking good, is different than someone else. What’s more, as seen with Gleam Towers, or Gleam Vaults, it’s a system that is broken and abused very heavily. So you should NOT have Footfall, or Mayor, or ANYTHING attached to it. Just let it be a fancy number, and nothing else.

Perhaps we should just scratch everything and make the game “Minecraft” creative mode. :confused:

Let “Boundless” have its features that set it apart. All the complaints I hear, I just keep thinking “then why not go play Minecraft?”.

Edit: to elaborate— when I first played Boundless, every feature/game mechanic I discovered I was like “oh hey! Cool!” “Ha! That’s neat!”

I like Boundless, because of what it’s NOT, it’s not Minecraft. I love MC, but after over 5+ years, I’ve had my fill. I would like to see the devs (and players) embrace the game and its features. Trust the devs. Let them make their game. Community input (a vocal minority) will just make everything convoluted and watered down. I would prefer to see the devs make their game with conviction.

RDR2 is doing quite well, and had basically zero input from pleebs outside the studio.

I’m sure Boundless can do the same.

5 Likes

Some people liked bomb mining better. Bomb miners made me very angry. So i’ve enjoyed them being gone.

1 Like

Then why not change it to 2 or 3 days. Would still be enough footfall for hubs to survive on without being too much :stuck_out_tongue:

Thing is that until this week we WERE getting footfall every 24 hours. But yes, over time there would be an explosion of coins possibly. However at present the price of almost everything is going down so we’re really close to balance.

What we truly need is a deathpit, a place for coins to go to die because no matter what balancing conclusion we reach there will only be coins pumping into the system forever and ever.

Perhaps we could have obscenely expensive cosmetics that are bought with coins instead of cubits.
Like pants, for example.

That way the coin sink would be desirable, but optional.

3 Likes

That’s an awesome idea! Or cubits for coins, 10,000:1

100%. Footfall has absolutely been stealth nerfed and it’s a shame. My beacon went from getting a consistent (consistent as in just about every single day) 3-5K per day to now getting like 800c per day.

1 Like

A bug rather than a stealth-nerf. Scroll up a bit to:

and then the discussion on how to fix it without breaking the economy starts from there.

1 Like

Personally I am using different portals after the floor leading to the portals was removed. Now you are force to run through a maze and go around, if I use it I usually grappler across the giant hole. Some folks may have the same mentality as me :man_shrugging:t4:

This is true, it was unintentionally stealth nerfed… and now the devs are like, “Hey that’s a good idea we should nerf footfall instead of fixing it.”

Can’t win :heart: