Request to stop nerfing footfall

My friend wasn’t able to generate footfall on my beacon last week, so we are definitely not getting credit for footfall in some cases. No permissions, wandering through other beacons, etc. etc. And it worked relatively fine before. Thanks for staying on it!

1 Like

Please be quick about the review and be sure to get it right… the last thing we want is the portal hubs that everyone relies on shutting down due to lack of funds which will result in more players leaving as they can’t move from planet to planet without some convoluted journey that takes half an hour.

On a side note as far as I can see in the mean time it should be as simple as:
if (historicAverageCrashPerDayPerServer > 1) then fixTheSimpleBugWithoutCausingProblems = true;
and you can take more time to do a less rushed analysis on footfall.

1 Like

Until I see some data that convinces me that recent server uptime has not increased I’ll stick to the idea that the near zero footfall is a result of the beacon visits hitting a plateau for the current player population well before the 24 day cooldown kicks in.

Frequent server resets and crashes were a factor, and that factor did change in the last couple weeks as far as I can tell. That is a good thing, but I still think it contributes more to the observed change in footfall values than concurrent player statistics from Steam.

Unless @Lyrical was saying that a 4.14% loss of concurrent players in the last 30 days equates to a 50% drop in footfall. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Large portals hubs are surreal and do not fit player’s population anymore. These hubs are empty most of the time.

Injecting massive free AFK-coins into the game to please player’s wet dream will sink it even faster.

Dunno, I don’t want to not have portals. And I don’t bother shopping at portal hubs much any more because there are usually better prices away from the main line… and if the shop isn’t owned by the portal owners they get nothing anyway…

Yes - uptime and restarts will also contribute to the variation. Hence it’s quite a complicated system to analyse. I wasn’t suggesting this wasn’t a factor.

The aim is to return footfall to roughly parity.

3 Likes

Portal hubs are transit stops not bars. You don’t see (normal) people going to train stations or airports just to hang out and chat with friends. Airports and train stations usually are funded by fees/taxes added to tickets of those travelling which is more or less the same as footfall. Given the expansion of the universe when all the new planets were added for launch and the resulting peak of new players which is now slowly falling off, for the more widely dispersed remaining population getting from A to B is more important than ever. Without the portal hubs it would be near impossible to find the few shops in the 37 odd planets that have the rare thing you want to buy/sell in the quantity you want at a good price or to run a successful shop without having to run a huge number of portals to at the least the capitals of all the tier 1 worlds.

If what I was told a few weeks ago is correct, people on your friends list will not produce footfall for your own beacons.

1 Like

It’s all about the beacon permissions, we’ve never generated footfall on shared beacons and unintentionally discovered that footfall was bugged while trying to determine when footfall resets. The 20 coins isn’t a big deal but showed a much larger problem.

I just had a side thought not directly linked to, but related to, the footfall bug. Maybe there should be a nominal (fixed) charge on portal transits (say 1c per journey) which goes directly to the portal operator. This would give more incentive to run useful portals than footfall as the direct link between usefulness and reward is clearer as well as offset some of the oddities of footfall (like the once per day per player no matter if they visit once or 100 times).

2 Likes

Lol set a portal price per use :joy:

Friends list doesn’t seem to make a difference in my testing.

But people that you’ve given permissions to will not generate footfall on those beacons.

Since people only trigger the footfall generation code in one beacon belonging to your character per settlement, if your character owns two beacons in the settlement and the people with permissions enter the ones that they have permissions to before entering the ones where they don’t have permissions, then they won’t generate footfall in the other beacons that your character owns in that settlement.

If that makes sense?

2 Likes

I dont really get the «portal hubs will shut down without footfall»

I mean, im a 100% solo loner, that just recently have started getting costume deals and own private supply lines (real cooperation)
And im not having any trouble fueling 9 portals on antar vi i have:

serpen-alnitans-shedutier
Antar-ultima
Antar-lamblis

Antar local slide 4x4
Antar local 2x1
Antar local 2x1
Antar local 2x1

And all the portal hubs i have seen except the planet hubs on Ultima are shop portals where the portals are all fueled by the shop owners.

I mean the only portal hub ive seen that have more portals and upkeep then what i do all by my lonesome on Antar Vi are ultima guild.

Do Ultima fuel the planet portals?
Maybe a little bit of topic but who decides where the «planet» portals on Ultima go too?

A week ago my road was getting nearly 50k a day. It’s steadily gone down massive amounts each day. Today it’s at 2,300. Tell me it’s players disappearing.

All of the Ultima Leaders discuss and decide best locations for the portals. And it’s not just one hub we fuel. It’s every single planet that exists. Some can’t be small because of distance between them.

Using this system, the portals with the least use would be closed in most places. Nobody would want low pop planets taking up oort.

but we wont be closing any planets, even when they are not earning for their own upkeep. we did the portal hubs for players. and we will contibue to do it as long as we will be able to afford it. we have some hubs that earn more coins then they need for their own upkeep, but some planets hubs dont earn enough for their upkeep. in the end all coins from all hubs goes into oortstones for all hubs equally, and rest of the coins go to community via request baskets that hubs need for builds or directly to players who contributed their help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am not against network and fast travel.
But it should not become an industry who only survive on footfall, fake Oortstone prices and devs unbalancing the game to support mafia gang (lol!)

The early beta system was waaay more heatlhy:
People used small portals in their shop to various others settlements/planets.

It’s more fun, because you should adapt your path (portal open/close randomly) and exploration / knowledge is required.

1 Like

A lot of people have stopped playing I have noticed a massive lack of people in ultima compared to 2 weeks ago. Maybe people don’t like the new layout? Or maybe people have had enugh of the blue screening that happens to a lot of us in built up areas.would definitely say it’s down to traffic and not a nerf . Just my opinion

puts on fedora see, give us your money or i’ll give you some stone shoes. Not gonna ask you again, see.

3 Likes