Resource regeneration around claimed plots

Hi @olliepurkiss / @james,

I’ve noticed a potential issue with resource regeneration around claimed plots. Based on 150 000 rock of mining I established that the average spawn rate of diamond is 1 rough diamond voxel spawned per 83 rock voxels. Using this information I constructed a mine on Serpensarindi in the same area.

The strategy I used to work along with the known regeneration mechanics is a criss-cross of plots where claimed © and unclaimed (U) result in all XY being reserved but only 50% of it claimed:
CUCUCU
UCUCUC

What I’ve found is that the spawn rate of diamond in the unclaimed plots between the claimed plots is now down to closer to 1 rough diamond voxel per 8000 rock voxels. This is with me visiting it daily (of course it is impossible to determine other visitors except to state that there is no footfall and that the rock regenerates each time). Other resources are accordingly scarce.

Not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but I do feel that we should be encouraged to build infrastructure to extract resources and that this strongly discourages it. Since I was planning on building mines and expending thousands of plots on this over the next several months I am hoping that this warrants an investigation before I abandon my efforts :frowning:

Details about the mine here: https://www.oortianfoundation.com/diamondmines1

2 Likes

I think you might be getting tripped up by the chunk vs plot distinction. It may behave the way you expect if you instead grid like:

CCUUCCUU
CCUUCCUU
UUCCUUCC
UUCCUUCC

(aligned to chunk boundaries)

1 Like

My point is that where I plot should not affect resource generation in unclaimed area around me at all.

1 Like

Hmm, wasn’t there some info about the resource generation algorithm being tweaked to favor locations that haven’t been recently mined? If so, I’d expect lower than average density in your mine. Though the numbers you posted seem a bit extreme.

I mined exactly the same area before on the same schedule and got 100x better results - this definitely has something to do with the claimed plots impacting resource regeneration.

1 Like

Bump. Any feedback on this?

Can someone please tell me the exact definition of a ‘chunk’??? I asked before but I didn’t get a specific answer…

I was a bit paranoid about this also, but then came across an area beneath a settlement and it was the richest vein I’ve ever come across… I think it’s just ‘random’

Wish it was. Day after day the area had consistent high spawns as per atlas, now its barren day after day. I suspect that the claimed plots are affect the regen algorithm’s calculation of blocks below surface or similar.

My second mining project is showing exactly the same result. In its current state any attempt to build infrastructure to gather gems is fruitless.

We haven’t seen this with terrain regenable resources like gleam, dark glass, trees, etc as there are many community mining setups for those resources. So this would be something specific to how mineral seams regenerate.

I forget all the rules for those regenerating but it’s possible something about your build is violating them and so the regen doesn’t kick in.

The community builds depend on regen bombs to make them viable - which only works with blocks.

If the bombs aren’t thrown do those plots similarly take longer to restore than if no plots we’re near them? There’s two forms of regen. The voxels restoring and then the mineral seams getting added in. I’m saying they might work differently such that your setup allows the voxels to regen but not the seams. We don’t know at which regen stage things are not working as expected

No real point in speculating. This does not work as was explained in all previous posts about regeneration (rock regenerates as usual but resources take 100x when plots are in area) and I would have liked the devs to investigate the issue.

Chunks are 16x16x256 volumes of the world, which are conveniently sized for the game engine; so it bases a lot of operations off of them.

Each of our current worlds have 288x288 chunks

2 Likes

Ehh, sure, and what is a 16x16x256 ‘volumes of the world’ in plots or blocks???

Each plot is 8x8x8 blocks - so each chunk can hold 4 plot “columns”

The 16x16x256 for chunks is the number of blocks wide x deep x tall

2 Likes

So volumes of the world was just blocks! Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, sorry for the confusion there!

When you plot through resource spawns, anything that would have spawned in the plot is now just gone forever. I wonder if being adjacent to a plot forces smaller vein sizes to spawn? As in it would have been a 6 gem vein, but 5 of them fell into plotted territory and therefore didn’t spawn. Or it could be that plots adjacent to plotted segments don’t consider adjacent plots to be what the game considers fully regenerated until you are so many rocks or plots away from there - can gems even spawn in a voxel directly adjacent to a claimed plot?

The regeneration considers each chunk and looks at the last time that the chunk was edited, the last time it was visited and the last time it was regenerated, and then works out whether it should be regenerated again. As nevir said the chunk is made up for four plot columns, and I’m not sure that you can see the alignment of them in the game.

After the balance changes to the regeneration the visited threshold has been reduced to ten seconds (although note that a chunk is deemed “visited” if you go to a nearby chunk as well, so it’s a bit woollier than that) and the edited threshold was reduced to four hours. After both those thresholds are reached the chunk can be regenerated if enough time has passed since the last regeneration. Obviously the contents of any beacon plots will not be regenerated, but their presence in the chunk will not effect the regeneration of anything above, below, or to the side of the plots. When regenerating, the non-resources are regenerated first, and once all of that is done, the resources are injected.

So, I can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be seeing the expected level of regeneration in your case. Maybe @lucadeltodecso might have some thoughts.

4 Likes