Rng forging something else …

If you were going to completely redo how we “forge” and “upgrade” gear how would you do it? The system we have now is not enjoyable and I think that hits harder than bad rng so what would be a more enjoyable way to upgrade gear or should it not be a thing at all.

Should you have to bathe your gear in the blood of cuttle trunks to get more durability or go visit a dieing star to acquire additional damage or stick it on a box and roll the dice to see what you get. Their has to be a more enjoyable way to upgrade gear. Any thoughts.

Invest more time in forging and forge in the creative world to find out how it works.

No need to completely redesign the forging in the game.

5 Likes

Just a quick thought as I am in a hurry (lol).

Could adding more gums and reassigning one trait to each gum (instead of one gum having mutiple traits) solve the issue? Then, you are basically fighting rng of either getting your gum or not rather than the current case of fighting rng to get your gum or get something totally out of the gum and when you get the gum, you get one of several traits of it (which might not be what you wanted - i am looking at hard hitter boon vs dmg haha). This kinda keeps the rng aspect, kinda removes some uncertainty, and pleases everyone? Or not?

Edit: This might make some specs more difficult to acquire as now they require more gums. For example magnet + aoe would now be 2 gums instead of 1.

3 Likes

I myself dont mind it the way it is. I forge my daily gear easily and forging has such a wide room for skill/luck for me to respect those maxed out lucents and admire them even when i myself think i am a decent forger. That wide room of (daily forger level to master oortian forger level), i like it.

I wouldn’t mind seeing it mostly redesigned personally. I have had better luck with RNG in FF14’s Jumbo Cactpot then I have had with the forge.

1 Like

I’d have to agree here. Again, if we didn’t have an economy that would totally be affected by the removal of RNG there wouldn’t be much issue. Forging max gem tools isn’t very hard once you get it down.

1 Like

Invest some time testing forging in the creative world.

1 Like

I don’t touch creative worlds,

And I have already invested a lot of time in forging before creative worlds even existed, I been in this game quite a long time. So when I say I do not like forging, that wasn’t from some shallow half baked attempt.

I would argue that this means the Economy is already messed up. The Economy should be supported by many aspects of the game, not just forging.

2 Likes

Forging isn’t hard it’s just boring main point is what would you do to make it more enjoyable.

Then maybe forging is not your thing in this game. Enough areas to specialize in and make coins from to buy forged stuff.
This is where different classes help each other out.
Specially in Guilds where people can specialize in something they want and help each other out that way.

It sure isn’t, But I still think how it is designed relies too much on RNG, which is something I dislike in general outside of card games.

4 Likes

Ok, I see.

I disagree it is too much RNG as people are capable of forging what they want. But hey, we all have an opinion I guess. :slight_smile:

I left Boundless for 5 or 6 months. Before I left, I had some hiccups when forging but more often than not I was able to make what I wanted with no issue. But since I’ve come back, I swear my forge has been HEXED. I cannot forge even the simplest things. And when I say “cannot,” I mean like 8 or 9 tries to get something tolerable, which maybe isn’t a lot of tries but I find it infuriating. I’ve pretty much sworn off it for now and will just buy, but I resent being forced to do that as I enjoy crafting much everything in game.

1 Like

I am also capable of forging what I want, but if I decide to do so, by the time I am finished, I lost all interest in playing boundless and log off for a few days,The Forge mini-game wears me out in a way that repels me from the game, so it isn’t a matter that I am unable to, it’s that I hate every moment of it, due to the RNG aspect. and that, I personally consider to be bad game design when something makes me want to flat out play a different game, I understand that some people enjoy the RNG aspect, But I still think it is a flawed concept.

“And even if when I am perfect, and even when I get to the end, and even when I have a chance to win, I lose because it’s random. Like it’s up to random chance sometimes, and I hate random chance, because I hate when it’s just, it’s not entirely dependent on skill, because that means that no matter how hard I try, it’s every possibility that I could lose every single time if it’s random, and I don’t like that.” -Markiplier

4 Likes

Being able for everybody to make what they want would destroy the market, also the game as people will get bored and only use maxed out tools.

Also the forger class gets obsolete in this MMO game when we all can forge what we want.

A bit of gambling element is nice to have.
Forging the good stuff feels satisfying, lets not take that element away from the game.

I think Monumental has a lot of other things to attend to taking over the game.

1 Like

Again I would argue that the market is already trash, and shouldn’t be mostly held up by a single aspect of the game, since you claim that the market will be destroyed if forging was made less-RNG?

Then improve the market if what you say is correct. Don’t destroy the market even more by altering forging.

If I was a dev, I would. Thou people would hate me for it, Since they disliked my ideas of how Exo worlds should have been handled that would have improved the market value of Exo-Exports.

Nobody is doing anything right now. There’s basically no (active) dev team on either side of the pond here it doesn’t hurt for people to chat about their likes and dislikes.

I’m saying this because it’s 100% the stereotype when any mentions a dislike of the forge. Like there’s a group taking turns.

Still I swear one of the best responses here ever :rofl:

1 Like

I am all for improvements, when done correctly and if there is a need for it.