Roads: How to merge or not merge settlements?

If I recall, 1x plot wide roads won’t merge settlements… but what width is required to merge settlements? Will a 2x plot wide road cause a merge, or does it have to be at least 3x wide?

Also does anybody know the minimum distance required between individual settlements for them to retain their original identity if connected by a 1 plot road?

Not counting guilds etc, only true settlement identity. I tested these many months ago but didn’t make any notes :frowning:

I heard that buffer plots are now a thing to help prevent jerks from force merging. Trying to get a few friends back together to return to Boundless in a friendly settlement building competition more or less all restarting from scratch.

The rule for carrying settlement status is 6 plots in the adjacent 9 plot columns.

The can be vertical, horizontal, whatever. Prestige doesn’t matter. Any break in that density will cause either a split, or “bridging”.

2 Likes

This has recently increased from 2 to 4.

1 Like

Ty =D
Tenchars

?? I don’t know what you’re referencing here, help me out? I don’t think they’ve changed anything related to this since Empires.

I quoted what I was referencing.
A few days ago 2 cities on Lasaina merged with no input from players.

This settlement merge was noticed within 24 hours of the glass and lattice update being released.

1 Like

There’s something less obvious going on there with the depth of those plotted areas, which is not shown there in the analyzer very well but clear because none of those plots (appear to) have “Road” status.

I could re-read the release notes but I didn’t see anything about changing settlement mechanics. I am curious though because AFAIK the beacons shown in that pic should be merged. It’s hard to tell there’s so much layered into the plot viewer now.

I’m legitimately curious because since @lucadeltodecso clarified the 6 plots/9 columns rule post-empires it has worked as expected for me in every situation. Would you share coordinates?

Luca is there a situation in which two adjoining plots, both with valid settlement status, should not try to merge?

Is it possibly because the reserved plots touch? (forming the needed 2-3 plot wide connection, when you can only really see one plot?)

He’s saying this connection does NOT merge the settlements.

Also just to note the plots can be vertical, it doesn’t have to be wider than one plot to merge.

1 Like

But that is still the case in the screenshot?
In the above SS, the settlements are no longer merged.

Unable to give coordinates sorry, as I am about to run out the door to an 8yo b’day party.
Yes, I can haha. BL-maps to the rescue.

Accessible via PS hub Lasaina, then head East to the first bridge.
Right about here:

You’re correct, there’s no mention of it at all, except for the beacon viewer thingy. They do also usually say the release notes are not extensive, and who knows what other code may have been bumped with this, or any update.

oK.

This one 1x1x1 plot has road status, not really noticeable in the other pic. That’s for sure why they’re not merged right now.

There are a bunch of vertical plots here that appear to be unbuilt it probably could have been fixed by dropping some of that but I’m not sure how it looked before. If there was honestly no unmentioned/forgotten change to plotting around the release time it might still be something of interest to the devs.

I got the answer to what was puzzling me though about the current situation, thanks for letting me know where it was. There are several small beacons there at the join now, one or more of them should be showing a “bridging multiple settlements” status right?

EDIT or maybe not enough prestige to have settlement status at all possibly.

1 Like

Interesting. Settlements have always been a little weird anyway… I accidentally broke Gyosha Mall once - whoops lol.

1 Like

Yeah I would think the join would be separate to prevent the bridging settlements issue on the main parts of the road either side. Not my settlements though, so sorry I don’t have all the info.

@econodog @MrAndo
There were no changes to the bridge that might have caused the merge, right?

Yeah even if the original bridge was 1x1x2, adding a single plot vertically on the third row that had 2 plots could have caused a merge.proper side could have merged them.

The one end of the bridge (sydney side if I recall my brief visit correctly) currently has 5 plots in the three wide section so a single adjacent plot would extend settlement status.

1 Like

I did move my plots back just before the patch hit and I believe it was the same layout as before. @MrAndo was able to un-merge the cities, I didn’t look into the specifics of the issue.

Did you hang around for a minute afterwards, and double-check that they hadn’t merged?

Based on you having moved plots, it sounds like maybe @Nightstar is on the money. Just a single extra plot high or wide adjacent to the old 2x1 section could have caused a merge, and would explain why Ando had to extend it to 4x1 to remove the merge.

Odd sounding numbers. I’ll see if I can find Luca’s clarification in case it has more detail.

Sorry for derailing your thread @Krollbar. It has been enlightening!

1 Like

It was right before the server shutdown so I didn’t get a chance to check anything… got booted from the game.

I think it’s correct, a road plot (red) in the settlement map turns in to a proper plot if it has 5 other plots in the surrounding plot columns (or in the same column as itself)

Ahhh ok, thank you for helping my mind unravel this concept. So 6 plots in the adjacent 9 columns, including itself.

That makes the patch being the cause seem unlikely, given that plots were being moved right at that same time :rofl:
I think we can call that mystery solved! Thanks everyone!

No worries, the thread isn’t derailed. If anything this will help keep us from accidentally merging.