Rock to Stone XP - A critical look from a Root Cause Analysis perspective

If this is one of the main issues, then why not let 1 char have more skill sheets? Legit all my exp is on 1 char, I got 1 alt, which is like level 20 but all that is from mining except a very small chunk. Maybe the problem is not the mass crafting, maybe it’s people having problem and disliking towards leveling alts?

I do understand your point, but I can fill up 1500 crafting tables without having to use pies. However, I always keep XP buff on in case a bug happens and XP is given. So during those 4 hrs of filling up, I use 6-7 pies. But this again, this has nothing to do with mass crafting, this has to do with the way pies work.

If the problem is exp not being given while not in close proximity, just change it so that exp is given the very instant the craft is complete. Then I could be on a t6 world mining when I get a random XP drop of 200 when a mass craft is complete, but I would always have to have a pie up.

1 Like

I’m planning to expanding the number of skill sheets per character.

But clearly this doesn’t fix the exploit.

5 Likes

Thank you for the Clairification. I do better understand your perspective of this. I agree it’s pretty easy, but it actually makes me more interested in playing the game. I want an alt with each skill set for all the game tasks. But after I’ve already completed the tasks to get there I don’t want to rinse and repeat it all at the beginning with a new character just to have a focused skill set. I like grinding but it’s too much to do it all again. Basically I want to add alts that are skill focused to help me build, gather, craft, explore, hunt, mine (I love pounding them rocks to my Spotify playlist). This is what keeps me excited about the game, that I can litterallly do everything. My xp gains are not huge, it is typically to get to the mid 20s so I can then focus a skill set.

I personally don’t care about the crafting times. I’m fine with an adjustment to the xp values given for crafting stone. Make it fractional of what it currently is, or adjust the mass craft quantities. Make it more inline with the refined stone quantities. Or a combination of both. But please not 0.

1 Like

One idea for the teaching food I think could work, insure of feasibility on the coding side, is to have teaching food give a set bonus for X amount of XP gained. Essentially an inverse operation of how the death penalty works with the xp debt minutes the link to character level. So a teaching porridge gives a bonus of say 10% extra for the next 10k xp gained (this is just an abstract example).

Thank you for the reply, I’ll need to reread a few times before addressing the other points. The open communication from you guys is greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

I agree it doesn’t fix the “exploit”. But clearly a huge part of us want and “need” a way like this to fully enjoy the game. I think one of the conflicts here between the devs and players or player and players is that while some find this “exploit” an exploit, others like us find it as a solution to another problem (e.g. too slow leveling / too difficult to get mass amounts of cubits for plots etc). So if you take away this, some people will be satisfied, but some will be very annoyed and saddened.

If you take this away, you need to simultaneously give us something new, efficient to do (but this again then defeats the purpose of removing fast ways of gaining xp, as the entire point of this is to remove it). I personally think this should be polled. This has been in the game ever since I started playing at least (December) and is such a major thing to remove without at least a clear majority of PLAYERs voting for it to go.

Very nice, looking forward to this.

2 Likes

This would be an alternative system that does seem resistant to the exploit.

“Double XP for the next 20k XP earned.” - with no rush to collect.

We could still have a time based XP buff, but this could expire when leaving the game.

Maybe having both would cover all the options.

13 Likes

I’m alittle reluctant of the idea that the pie expires on leaving the game. Simply because my game play can be short and frequently interrupted from home duties and kids. Most of the time I can go a full 30 mins, but there are a lot of times when I can’t. But I’m ok with the xp cap.

Edit;

On a side note, After a character reaches level 50 the additional skill points have to be used on another skill page. How about the possibility of useing up to 10 or 20 of those points to start a new alt to reduce the initial grind?

2 Likes

@james
I know for me it makes me feel that the devs are taking into consideration how much this has affected players, even those like me who aren’t into building feel that it was not a good thing to do.

Seeing you give more information, to clarify the reason behind the choices helps a lot to make not just better understanding, but feel that you want to see all sides; your reasons for doing so and ours for not taking away the xp. I do believe that it isn’t to force players to buy cubits, but sadly, I doubt all will believe that, but that is human nature.

There has to be a middle ground in this, the loss of xp for the builders is the major concern, at least to me. The using the pies, logging out to extend the time, that can be a problem; just please don’t punish the builders who need the xp and many didn’t even use the pies.

1 Like

Either that, seeing as this issue seems to mostly revolve around teaching foods…

Why not just remove them altogether … that way no extra balancing is needed and people will not always be looking to exploit them to game the system.

runs and hides

12 Likes

They will, regardless! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Increase the xp gains by 20-25% across the board to make up for the pie loss.

Turn them into death penalty reduction pies. Reduces the death penalty by 50% per pie on use instead of active buff… Great for the exo planets.

Edit: This still gives exp, but only in specific circumstances, while giving active actions more benefit.

11 Likes

Pew… pew!!! You’d better run!!! … lol. I never understood the teaching food use other than leveling… but now I’m addicted to them!!

2 Likes

a great big HUGE YES ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Would love something that would take away the death penalty, it is way too much as it is, I would buy pies for that.

Even if it reduced it for just 25% or great for 50% I would love to have them.

1 Like

I appreciate your clarifications.

I would have made a suggestion but to be honest I like the idea of getting rid of the teaching pies and substituting them for a Death Penalty reduction pie. It is a good point that the Exo Planets are fairly dangerous, so I can see there being demand for something like this. Heck I have fallen enough trying to help with Exodus and my own build to be willing part with coin for something like this.

Hopefully by doing this, you would not need to make any changes to the xp. Unless you feel the pies were addressing some issue with xp. If that is the case then I like @Stretchious other idea, boost all xp by 25 percent.

3 Likes

total agreement in this also. I don’t buy the pies or even make them as they are too expensive for me just to get advancement for the short time they last.

But, to buy to help remove some of the death penalty, which is way too much in my opinion, I would shell out the coins. To many kills from critters, from falls, from hunting meteorites, from lava (hate lava). Raise xp from 2-10% in other areas, turn the pies to removing some of the death penalty and that would be fantastic!

I like removing them too; one set of xp values for all players. No more haves and have nots.

Also agree a compensation should be added. Maybe a rested xp system rather than a full time buff across the board.

If the pies must stay, rather than mapping to death penalty explicitly, just have the pies give some fixed amount of rested xp. It’s the finite pie solution from earlier so it still helps you recover from death penalty quicker. But we’ve only introduced one known MMO concept.

3 Likes

When I did do my rock stone experiment last year, where I did level with new toon from 0 to 50 in about 4 hours, I was thinking that you might have had cap on how much XP can be doubled with one pie.

Many games do have some cap on good buffs and that Boundless didn’t have it did look cool that I was able to do that leveling like that but same time feeling wrong that there was missing this safe measurement.

2 Likes

I spend a lot of time doing XP-less stuff in-game too :(. changing signs, making portal tokens, scanning shops.

The only thing I can think of is maybe have an easy to make tool for these actions that has durability (kind of like a beacon plotter), then using the tool gives XP. I’m not a game designer though so maybe this is a bad idea :(.

Please my inventory is too full as it is :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There does seem a determined effort to reduce (through “balancing” current food systems, crafting “exploits” etc) the overall xp for crafters and such like.

Even if some kind of middle ground is reached, it will ultimately lead to less plots I’m able to purchase, with cubits from gained levels, and so slow down the pace of building.
I’ve become used to a certain pace and now this could change.
I don’t like change, unless it involves farming…or changing my oort face (this…)

I’m not feeling too confident in my future with boundless, where the emphasis seems to be on continual adjustments to established systems, which only the devs, and not a majority of players, seem concerned with.
A lot of discussion happening on these issues so maybe it will turn out alright in the end…

Anyhow, looking forward to the reaction to the prestige changes coming up soon :kissing_heart:

3 Likes