Sandbox Creature Ideas

I like the notion of a fast underground desert terror, and the armour drops.

I’d suggest making it come in various sizes (bat/dog/rhino/elephant sized). all aggressive and dangerous.
largest highly territorial, solitary, and (provide the drops). smaller = faster, hunt in packs (the smaller size = larger pack and no drops: say small=group of 6-10, med 4-8, large 2-3, XL =1

The smaller is not really worth much to seek out and larger not worth the effort to actually killl, but the “sand plate” drops of the largest ones can be collected as a light strong material for crafting. Not a high number of drops, and after a few failed attempts it would become less actively aggressive, and seek retreat under the surface to heal (but still may ambush from below- so careful retreat would be needed).

Of course without the right tactics (or if encountered away from a rocky area), they would remain very dangerous indeed.

Would make for:
a) a very dangerous hazard when travelling desert.
b) require special tactics to receive the drops.
c) would involve exposure to smaller groups to seek out largest
d) are a resource to be sought out.

1 Like

I had an idea for a creature with antlers and a practical use as well. I mentioned it in the post here

I had a simple idea for a mouse-elephant. A tiny pet, which could roll around a little, if accidentally poked on.

6 Likes

Giant sand Worms it makes a huge under ground system where it lives if ya find a huge hole in the sand ya know it is there. The creature is curious and not aggressive it always live in deserve ofc and in rare ocasions in mountians so you maybe find a mountian wiht huge holes in it

1 Like

A hardened skull/skin. Requiring a player to hit with a hammer or other blunt item to stun before using another weapon to get better hits/crits in.

Spines/spikes that would deal damage back at close range. Requiring a weapon with reach or range to mitigate.

High speed/agility requiring luring to a trap to cripple or a confined space to reduce their advantage.

Creatures that increase plant growth in vicinity (could be difficult to contain or require large amounts of feed themselves.)

Creatures that emit light or glow.

Pets!!!

A giraffe that eats grass and leaves. It’s also a pet and can be mounted. :smile:

1 Like

Hostile flora. Fight for your fruit. High risk, high gain. Non hostile creatures that turn hostile if you get too close to their young.

@Ben or @james
Do you still collect the ideas of this thread? There wasn’t any feedback for some time.
Just curious, if you are fed up with creature ideas and now already have kind of fix plan or if it still makes sense to give more feed in here. :smile:

1 Like

We’re still making and designing creatures so anything ideas are really valuable. Some new concepts coming soon.

6 Likes

i remember i saw a picture of some concept art of a sheep wiht square wool is it comming?

In general i still think wildstar did creature design best most of the time, or TSW. Basically just forcing people to be quick on their feet and dogde or they will get wrecked, problem for me is just when you say creature i cant figure out if we talk about normal mobs, mini bosses or bosses, because i think that normal creatures are kinda hard to make interesting without making them seem OP or like a boss.

1 Like

Think that’s not counting that much in here, how complex a creature is, is it?
I mean, it’s meant to be everything. Dev’s can fish out what they want and mix it in a completely new way. I guess it will (whatever we post here) work out like that.

We are more an idea generator or brainstorm.

there are a lot of ideas going on, soon we will have in boundless all tipe of animals and creatures. Hope that would be mounts and companions

2 Likes

How about a giant Oort eating sand worm.
1.It only lives inside sand
2.Only attacks things it thinks it can kill
3.When it bites,it saps stamina from the player
4.It’s teeth are super valuable,because of the poison inside them that can be used to put on arrows,for OP stamina sapping arrows.
You can tell where one is by looking for two holes next to each other,one is just a little bigger than the other.
The bigger the hole,the more powerful the worm.

1 Like

like in Gears of War 2, an underground worm eats you and you have to kill it from the inside by slaying its 3 hearts xD. that was a good freaking part of the game, would be nice to put something like this a giant creature that you cound only defeat from his inside and avoid its immune system to survive and get unic materials and the get out of it heroicly.

34 posts were split to a new topic: Fan art and creature design

I think it it is very important to have water animals. In my opinion there needs to be at least one water animal up to release. Like a Nessy, Doesn’t necessarily need to be an octopus like in Minecraft or popup-fish swarms. But sth. needs to be in the water, and I’d be very happy if it would not attack you (for now).

4 Likes

I like to have kind of dolphine as a mount, which moves fast under water to travel faster :smiley:
(If this is not against any concept, which prefers to use machines to travel under water)

2 Likes

I think they’re cooking up something aquatic. I’ve seen a very stylish fish design by Jess. Looked rather like wild (non pet), but decent.
I love your dolphin idea!

A giant hulking creature standing on two legs, is full of muscle, and has a crumbling looking skin. Cross between a rhino, and a lizard. To defeat it you can keep damaging leg armor, shoulder armor, mouth piece, and chest. Once give enough damage the armor parts fall off to reveal blue glowing flesh. Shoot most damage in order: Mouth, chest, shoulders=legs. A tier below/=titan. Will send sketch next week