Save the economy

Personal idea my friend and I were going through when trying to save the economy. What if there were times when certain items would become more or less rare throughout the worlds. What if, supposedly, that fibrous leaf was now valuable and people could sell it for more. Also I think there should be ways of losing money maybe, and not to other people, similar to the tax rates that we have currently on our shops… Food for thought, seemed good enough to share.

Hmmm, maybe:
Saturday - double XP day
Sunday - double meteorite loot day
Monday - double coin day
Tuesday - double beacon traffic/coin day
Wednesday - double rare drops
Thursday - double gathering loot day
Friday - double shop stand coin day

(or 25% more)

5 Likes

That would force most people into the same daily routines and cause many casual players to complain that they can’t play on X day and are missing out

3 Likes

Just wanted to say I like the suggested ideas on paper but I feel you are exactly right; when I was playing Trove (which has daily bonuses to specific things), I felt “forced” to do those activities (even though I was not forced at all).

1 Like

i think the problem is much deeper than people think as it emulates our own economy very well which is an issue. The only way i see past this is to
increase coin output through activities,
cap footfall coin on both a local and global scale (reducing the rate at which every beacon earns footfall when the cap is hit)
create a coin sink that is not reliant on player interaction where coin is the only currency required.
create a real time price comparison tool whereby shops that sign up to the “device” get reduced tax as incentive and players can compare buying and selling figures to play the market enabling currency to shift from person to person.

none of these are easily executed by any means but if one is done properly the economy will stabilise. Growth should only be factored by the number of active players so in my eyes a coin sink is essential.

I think they should add a recycler machine: place items in that you don’t want, and you get coin back.

And/or: add coins to creature/gathering/block drops

I play Trove too…I liked it when they added the daily rewards. They also do reward weeks & special events.

I like the idea of a recycling machine. It would be difficult to balance though. Maybe if it could keep track of the average sell price of each item and give you 10% of the value. Make that scale with power up to a total of 50%.

Got some dirt you don’t want? Throw it in the recycling machine for 90 -450 coin per smart stack. Maybe have a spark cost for higher coin output or higher tier items.

It would give people a means of generating coin without having to set up our own shops.

This is basically a different skin on the same mechanic i was trying to figure out in this post; with the added benefit that it is player centered and doesn’t involve NPC’s. I like it.

How would you feel if “recycling” were limited to dropped resources and excluded basic mineable blocks? Such that you could dump any stacks of flint you dont need into it, but you can’t go stripmining areas to crush sand back to coin…

My reasoning here is that almost all the dropped blocks have function in building (yeah tangle, thorns, growth etc still disappoint me), and building is a rather large part of the game. Resource drops however accumulate and while they have uses, its limited to well below the average rate of production…

Mind you, if the rate is low enough i suppose it won’t be abused by stripmining all the time…

My thinking was it needs to output an ammount of coin low enough to deter people from grinding for it. If they’re grinding they’d be better off selling to other players

Yup 100% agree :+1:

The problem with money printing solutions controlled by players is that it won’t deter grinding.

It will just encourage people to grab AOE hammers and mine up thousands of rocks to turn into stones then into refined rock. Even if it’s just a raw resource and that person is mining up thousands, that’s basically thousands in free coin faster than they could get from footfall in a 24 hour period. It would supplement shop sales from all the other stuff they’re gathering up and crafting.

If the concept of the idea is to have items convert into coin, then just put it on the gathering level of it. Mine 1 rock, have a 20% chance of 1-5 coins dropping. In the mean time, just fix the cooldown on Footfall so it’s 24-72 hours it rewards coin.

I really hate the idea of everyone hollowing out worlds for the easiest to get coin just so they can reap the benefits of having to do literately nothing when obtaining the resources they want, aka coal, ore, gems, tech, fossils, fragments, etc.

Players in a MMO should never have their own currency printer. I see it creating more issues for those that care about the economy than it does help it.

Just make coin minting a thing.

Copper = 5:1, all recipes mass craftable

Iron = 10:1

Silver = 25:1

Gold = 50:1

Titanium = 75:1

Gems = 100:1

More advanced recipes could go higher. Also may have to set these values a little higher, this is a lowball estimate. But if these rates existed Day 1 nobody would know any different.

This way people aren’t turning sand into coin 1:1

No money printing of any kind. It isn’t hard to get ore or gems or any resources really in the game. If the conversion rate isn’t good enough then nobody will use the feature in any serious capacity and then ends up being a waste of developer time and money; which is a net negative to everyone.

Just don’t like the idea very much. Last thing we need is to have an inflated money supply which causes prices to inflate higher than they were in the first month of the game just because people are able to make an endless amount of coin.

At least with footfall someone is getting rewarded for bringing value to an area, even if it’s a road. Breaking down items in a machine to convert into coin brings zero value to the table. All it does is promote grinding.

Footfall cooldown needs to be fixed and shop stands and request baskets need added barter functionality. I think then we’ll be fine as people will get to do what they want then for their economic activities in the game.

Historically running a printing press has never been good for an economy (speaking more of real world here). Let’s not try and attempt to make it work in a video game we all love and care about. I don’t think it would end very well for any of us.

I still think we need to really just have patience when it comes to footfall getting fixed. It has a stupid long cooldown cause of a bug. That’s what we need to be asking for to get fixed. Not a bunch of solutions that could ultimately harm the game and ruin the fun for a lot of people. The economy is a massive part of this game after all.

I can agree that we do need multiple reliable currency generation though. :+1:

It worked for trove

2 Likes

I believe if fixing footfall was an option it would have been done by now. Attaching coin drops to an action just cuts out the middle man of having a machine convert it, which seems too simple for this game. People are STILL going to grind for that and so what? If someone decides their purpose is to create coin doing a mindless task and throwing it in a machine giving less than half the item’s market value, let them. It’s good for the economy.

1 Like

So if it’s the main way to bring coin into the game then people are just going to blow through resources by breaking them down into coin. World regen would need to happen a lot faster which results in more server lag. We’d need better storage in the game too so people can also have more space to put their tens of thousands of units of items they’re gathering. Also, chunks don’t regen if people are constantly smashing through them with shovels, axes, and hammers. So then the player base gets resource starved. We had a taste of that with gems.

And the thing is, they can fix the footfall cooldown. It’s not a matter of them not doing it. It’s more of a matter of how long should the cooldown be and how much coin per unique visitor during each cooldown period reward. Too much and you have inflated money supply. Too little and shop taxes basically grim reaper the whole economy and we’re back to square one with hand trading.

Do you really want to start seeing threads popping up with people complaining that they can’t find basic materials cause world regen isn’t happening often enough?

A few people, myself included, have suggested something similar to this:

I think something along these lines would really help, maybe if people get behind it, the devs can come up with something that would be workable in game.

+1 to your suggestion :+1:

Funnily enough, with the introduction of the new planets, some of the few remaining resource gaps have been filled. Everything is rather abundant now which should drive prices down some more. The more this downtrend happens, the more it makes footfall not so broken after all. It makes it all seem like the economy is collapsing but really, things are just normalizing… hard. I mean come on, 1/10th of my footfall for a mushroom you picked up while doing other stuff? Nah. There was a bit of scarcity, but that’s gone now.

So essentially, you have less coin, but what your coin can get you is increasing week-by-week as people scramble to find a price that moves merchandise. It’s an awkward period. It feels bad to go from making 100000s to 10000s. I was upset too; now I’m more curious.

Now whether or not that’s fun and/or going to be well received is a totally different question. I think people’s lizard brains definitely enjoy larger numbers. 1 million coin is more “fun” than 1000 coin, even if their buying powers were to be the same.

Like it or not, I think waiting and observing is the correct call from the devs here with the new planets.

That being said, I think some sort of recycler would be great for sure. Some sort of rock bottom price exchange for when stock isn’t moving. Having an incentive for goods to exchange hands is a bigger problem than coin value IMO. Dwindling player counts add a major curveball to the equation.

could be random - not even the same for all players; upon log in you would have a coffer to open with your daily double: you could get double xp while your friend would get double gathering loot

2 Likes