Servers offline? [Resolved]

why put the update in the downkload list (steam) if your still updating?

just downloaded the update… i load into the game as i have not played in about a year and then for the past 45 minutes of trying to reload/reinstall/etc (even restarting steam) i am still greeted with servers are updating Retry? Quit?

How long is this going to take???

final patch before full release is being uploading now. keep calm it will be done soon :slight_smile: this update includes centraforge and rewamped things from test server. :slight_smile: finally :smiley:

1 Like

yea been down for 3 hours

yes! FINALLY!!! ehem sorry :slight_smile:

ANother valid point? is why has all the this is whats been updated news stopped being put to steam?
And why even put the update in the download tray at all BEFORE servers are available? (think about it… fan bois - like myself - see a download available of their favorite game… and then they FORCE the download - because obviously they think well it must be availible… its already in the list But then cue salty people like myself who rage for ages about not being able to play because its still being updated!)

Sorry… i know i am ranting… but can you see my point?

It can take a long time to migrate server world-data and character-data, the game cant be played whilst that’s happening, and there’e be no point in taking entire copies of the universe for people to play in the interim, because any changes to the worlds/players would just be dropped after

5 Likes

Well… i guess that is a very fair point… but as i say, why have it in the download list before its available? Is that a steam thing?

And also as i say above… if we still had the this is whats being updated news via steam, maybe the confusion like this would stop? (i doubt its just me who thinks the way of this?)

(edited: think i need a new keyboard)

online now

2 Likes

Hey Shendonis,

Sam, James and I have a meeting scheduled next week to get communication across our channels sorted out (this includes Steam), this is going to be increasingly important after 1.0 and we need to make sure we’re all on point with it.

With regards to the download being ready before the servers are live. It’s more of a subjective one here… Currently the download gets to you before the servers because we want people to be able to download the game ready for when the servers are up. Some might prefer everything coming at once, some might prefer the way we do it at the moment.

I think really all this needs is some better communication about the updates, which is something we’re working towards :slight_smile:

6 Likes

wow… @Steggs101 replied (i feel honored!) hey man, nice to have you back with us!

As mcuh as your reply goes, i can understand this very well… One thing i (personally) think would be best (as most other steam games do) is to download everything server side first (update) and then roll the download to steam?

Ofc im no dev and i dont work for valve, so i may be wrong here… but it seems that in some other games, they have them updated dev-side first… and then cache the files into the download/update steam side (meaning that yes… although the game HAS been updated dev-side… your still playing the old version until the Steam Update finishes) - if that makes sense?

And of course… as much as it is annoying (for clients - and also? - devs) to go everywhere to hunt for/post news (i mean we have steam AND this forum… some other games do this as well… i get it… but also those other games are also just as active steam-side as they are forum-side)

Meaning that although it may be more work for the team, its just common courtesy to keep us updated on both sides of things :slight_smile:
Once again, glad to have you back man

Well, they have to update the servers first, which may take longer than updating the client.
In order to achieve perfect timing, or updating on the Dev side first, they would need to make another copy of the entire universe so that people could keep playing, as updating the servers means they need to come offline. That would probably not be viable.

1 Like

It is probably no big problem, if we get a message before the patch that a update is coming.
So ppl know why the servers are down.

3 Likes

When said like that thats a very good point

And how long for? (also maybe as i say… a periodic in-game warning?)

Thank you for the expected complteion time now :slight_smile: