Settlement Revamp - Opt-in Versus Forced

I can appreciate the attempt but as expected the answer is still, “No buffers do not solve anything” in the existing settlement or anything where plots start to touch. The original post idea still stands as the answer.

If that is the case would me droping a row of claims inside my claim area so I gain the reserve at that time then drop claims where i want to break off from another players claimed land work? or if the other player then claims up to my reserved area do they then get reserved rights on what i had there ? or is this based of plot claim time and not beacon claim time?

It is based on the beacon, so you should be fine

Edit: nope actually i’m st00p

If you drop plots and a nearby beacon has it’s buffer on & was there 1st, you will lose any plots beyond your 2 plot buffer - and possibly right up to your beacon (if you unplot them)

We are having trouble in our town/mall with people losing plots

2 Likes

Yes, you are correct that these cities call themselves by their own names, but you’ll also see that they are also part of LA. There are no huge divide between them… you can go to all the the cities in the general area and they all blend from one to the next and to those passing through, other than a sign welcoming you to their city, you may not even realize the city name has changed. How many cities do you go through just driving the length of Sunset Blvd? Locals will use the city name they are from to differentiate and let people know the city they are from… or because it sounds a lot better to say you’re from Pacific Palisades than LA.

Also, LA is a county and a city. So, saying you’re from LA can mean a lot of things.

In the case of Boundless, and your comparison, I think it proves there does not need to be barriers or empty plots to separate cities. You can be “attached and connected”, but still keep your name and identity like a city does with a county. Think of the larger being a county…perhaps?

2 Likes

I thought it was based on the plots and not the beacon it self.

2 Likes

What Kal said, actually. Listen to this guy and not me. I read it as beacon age priority but not factoring in expansion plotting factor. Duhhhhh

1 Like

Maybe I am not explaining myself correctly or people keep getting confused as to the issue at hand. I am not at all bothered by people touching plots or cities being surrounded or flowing from one to another.

Everything you said in your post was completely correct… there are two key differences basically in what many people keep brining up in regards to this situation and your post helps to highlight them.

1. In real life we don’t always see the signs saying we moved from one town to another yet we did. There is a clear border and clear definition (somewhere) that this side of the street is X and that Y. In Boundless we get warning on screen for this and even if we removed them there is still a clear boundary and it is documented.

2. In real life a town gets to choose. They have a say on what they want to get from the larger city, county, state, etc. They have the rights to decide that name and how they share it and whether they share taxes, services, or whatever. Ignoring all the details or specifics there still is choice. In Boundless we don’t unless we move and that isn’t fair to those that have already set their build up and are in a city that grew around them or was intentionally annexed.

I think it is pretty clear that adding choice hurts no one and things can be put in place to protect both sides of the coin. It makes no sense to me why people (not trying to direct it to you and mean in general) keep fighting the ability to have choice in who you align your settlement to instead of continuing to enable and support a system that creates conflict among players.

This should have been a very easy thread and suggestion - add choice option please. Answer by community - YUP do it. End of story.

1 Like

thanks Kal-El for points that out. that is a bit better then being based on beacon dependent. :smiley:

I would agree it would mean the first beacon on a planet always wins even if the other players have been more active in expanding? That would seem wrong to me so the way the developers set it up seems best.

Well need remove plot and retain reserve on plot part and then PLOTWARS will be all good!

to me all the buffer zone thing des is create chaos for already setup cities and put more emphasis on prestige wars now you got to compete with other players to hit 10K first

I do wonder if the developers would consider changing the setting to default to off. I understand players that want the buffer might have to go back and turn it on, but to accommodate the existing settlements is that maybe a small enough request?

I have one beacon where I want the buffer and I would be ok with having to go turn it on.

1 Like

if it was still in testing i would say sure but we may have passed the point of no return on that they would need to go and set all the allready on ones to off and that in its self could create problems with people who just assume its on only to come back(maybe even days later) and find that someone else who logged on before them now has the buffer zone

1 Like

This exactly. Cats already out of the bag. It’d just create a new set of headaches in this example and maybe more vitriol as a result since people thought they did what they needed to do to get things set up.

Why are you all talking about buffer plots in the wrong thread. Please stop.

Probably true. . oh well.

we where talking about it cuz buffer zones == settlements some people in the thread felt that the buffer zones fixed the issue so no need for a revamp while others like my self where saying that your revamp was still needed.

2 Likes

For transparency sake. I augmented the feature request.

1 Like

I continue to see post from a variety of people that basically say the same thing as above. They just dismiss my and others views that there is a problem. I get we all do that a lot in the forum, but when people keep saying something, it likely means something is up. So instead of just shooting down the idea maybe try to gain more clarity and information on why the person is feeling that way.

So people will understand that the guild update solved nothing for the root of the problem I am talking about:

(Note: This is not to call out any person or city or anything. We are merged by accident [not intentional] and the system makes this happen.)

Yes in the top of the screen shot my Guild town has the name. But you can clearly see that our Guild settlement is part of a larger settlement that we do not want to be part of. Additionally, our prestige is helping another city gain ranking that it should not technically have because we did not approve or are allowed to keep our prestige. Lastly, we have now lost our ability to compete on a city by city prestige level because we are not being given the option to opt-in and choose who our Guild Settlement (same for SOLO settlements) is aligned to.

We have no chance to become capital again because some people intentionally and others accidentally stole our prestige to use for themselves and their gain. And lets be clear - if we wanted to be capital we could, but we don’t want that - we just want our own identity and the prestige we worked for. Plus under the system we would be using other people’s prestige for capital status that might not have wanted to give it to us. That is unacceptable in our book.

Maybe I need to describe it another way for people to understand and get where I and my guild are coming from:

In our area I placed down 8,500 of my own plots to protect our space using my Oortian account (which I paid for fully alone, and other money to purchase plots). This does not include the countless other plots our guild members placed. We were almost certainly were the first people on Biitula and Circa because we had the first Capital on Phem and were jumping planets within about 2 hours of game release. We were definitely the first Capital on Biitula. We are now basically surrounded and have from the 2nd day of release had people build beside us instead on other parts of the planet and for all of that time had to fight to keep the name of the city we want and the prestige we worked hard for.

If people cannot understand why my guild and others want this feature, then I just don’t understand where they are coming from. But, I can certainly see why people would leave this game and never come back because of conflict situations that are forced and created every day.

For the record - we are the illuminoorti. I am speaking for them. @Havok40k is the leader.

1 Like