Simulated water

In the absence of being able to use actual placeable water that flows I was wondering if as an interim solution it was possible to have simulated water blocks that can be chiseled. Basically a variation of the slime block with a flowing texture, perhaps even in a few different colour variations. I know some people use blue gleam but I was thinking of something a bit more subtle rather than glowing and has some movement to it so we can create our own fake waterfalls and streams within our builds.

2 Likes

Some of us have water, it is coming to the game, the Devs are just working on it a bit more.

I was just wondering if it would be an easier solution to implement as it could just be a modified slime block … until water is finally introduced as I understand there are concerns about it being used for griefing.

1 Like

A chiselable water block would be (kind of) simpler for the game and it has been suggested in the team as an alternative to resolving the griefing potential of flowing and spreading fluids. But I’d always found the idea a little disappointing as it felt like a step backwards.

I’d personally prefer us to find an acceptable solution with the current fluid implantation. Which currently sits at:

• Fluids solidify at beacon boundaries: lava to rock, water to ice, etc. This would restrict players from flowing fluids into beacons.

I had some additional thoughts to allow fluid flow between beacons where the source beacon owner had building permissions into the target beacon. This would allow communal fluid systems but would make the rules conceptually more complicated.

10 Likes

Thanks for the reply James, I personally would prefer flowing water too but this was just a suggestion as regards to a stop gap until flowing water can be implemented … plus it could be used to recreate fountains :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just to add +1 to water being solid non-flowing block, tbh water physics are always a hassle and most people don’t get it. Maybe an interesting solution would be that water only flows downwards so you don’t have to build columns out of it.

3 Likes

I think this is a really interesting idea.

3 Likes

Maybe water could flow in and out of beacons as well, right until it touches someone else’s beacon. Do you think this could present any problems with griefing?