Since server update

So since the update on all the servers the other day, I notice hoppers are not dropping any blood. I have killed at least 10 of them, strong and elites, and no blood. This is on live server not test.

Finding 10 hoppers can take some time to. Is this one of the Rare drops they speak of that will get balanced? It’s a major item needed for bombs like gems are for hammers and should be a little more plentiful. Right now I am striking out completely. Anyone else out volatile blood hunting?

EDITED: just got one blood out of an hour and a half and 15 hoppers. I think I am done harvesting until the live balance update comes. fingers crossed.

Well, it’s working in testing regardless, no if there is an issue, it is fixed there and will reach live pretty soon

I go hopper hunting once a day but cannot say i have the same issue that you are having. Do you perhaps have your luck maxed out? Im seeing maybe 3 blood every 2 kills

I was told luck doesn’t do anything for creature drops. It affects non creature items only. And I can’t confirm it affects all gathering drops actually.

Can someone confirm this plz. Because if this is the case ive got plenty more points i can reallocate on my hunter. However on that note i find it kinda absurd to not work on creature drops as well considering hoppers no longer drop gems.

I will also note Zina that i hopper hunt while region unlocking and tend to find them a lot more often this way.

2 Likes

Before 188 Luck never worked when creatures like cutter and hopper dropped gems. I never saw a difference from animal drops when I tested it. Infact it only worked in those times, on low level harvesting materials like coal and copper and iron but not silver and up. So I was actually surprised it helps on gems now on t3 worlds. That bit was new to me. As well that it helps with plant drops.

It is new to me if it does work on creature drops, because it use to not. @luke-turbulenz Would be nice to get a dev to post some % numbers of what luck affects, or at least is going to do in the next update. I get inconsistent numbers every time I test it, especially in between picking like 2-3 levels compared to maxed out luck.

1 Like

@Zina You start out with 10 luck, and then can level 8 skills, each of which add 10 luck to this original 10, making a maximum of 90.
Then, the “Drop Rate Modifier” is calculated with the formula:
Drop Rate Modifier = Drop Rate Modifier Base + ((Luck - Attribute Base Value) / (Attribute High Value - Attribute Base Value)) * (Drop Rate Modifier High - Drop Rate Modifier Base)

If we substitute in values (for maximum luck) we get this:

Drop Rate Modifier = 0 + (90-10)/(100-10)*(1-0)
                               = 0.8888...

This then gets turned into 88%, which is then added on to the original proportion of drops, but for the sake of multiplication we will call the modifier 1.8888.

Then, this modifier is what you multiply the probabilities of block drops by (maybe creature drops too). For example, the probability of a fibrous leaf being dropped from a foliage block with base luck is 0.029999999329447746, which is roughly 3/100 blocks broken (for simplicity’s sake).
If we then multiply this by 1.8888… we go up to a chance of roughly 5.66/100 blocks broken.

There is also a relatively small change in drops from one level to the next: for example having only 7 luck levels would give you a drop rate modifier of 1.7777… but multiplying this by small probabilities gives a very small change:
the drop rate of fibrous leaves would be 5.33/100 blocks broken, as opposed to 5.66, which is a negligible change.

In terms of whether luck affects creature drops, I’m not entirely sure, but I am pretty sure it does, and always has done?
(obviously maybe not, as quite a few people say it doesn’t…) BUT the description in game does say:
“The amount of luck you have affects your chance of receiving rare Drops from Blocks or Creatures.”

EDIT: (thanks @OmniUno) max luck is 100 using the all attributes skills, which overall would double the chance of a drop (pretty much, if we round 99.9999999… to 100)

1 Like

You can actually get 100 luck by taking the + attributes points too:

3 Likes

Ah, good to know, that would be why the attribute high number is 100 :joy:

1 Like

Uh… yeah this is important to me as well. Can we get somebody who knows the code, or one of the developers, to chime in on this? Does Luck affect drops from creatures? I’ll absolutely reskill my Hunter if it doesn’t.

Of course it does. Same for meteorite. Just remove Luck and go to the big hunt today and you will see.
I did hunting both with and without Luck recently and there is a big difference in loot.

3 Likes

Yeah, as I said above, the description of the skill says creatures too.

Awesome work, and thank you. Seems I was right in thinking that its kinda pointless to fuss about with just a couple skills into luck, you need to almost max it out to actually see much diff. I knew it felt a little weak between the levels of luck. It seems I would do it on a gatherer but not my hunter.

boundmore, I’ve tested with a friend about 3 months ago, and one of us maxed luck and the other with none. After 2 hours of killing meteors and the mobs, he had a total difference of about 5 gems from me. I think things have changed for luck with creatures since, but it never seemed to help me in the past that was noticeable enough to spend that many skill points.

1 Like

During big hunts you can’t really control that much how many creatures you miss looting. It could be that difference would be bigger than 5 diamonds if you looted exactly same creatures. Other than that thing is gems were only one of the creatures drops so it would be better to check total amount of drops not just gems, and also see if Luck gives you higher amount of more valuable drops.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure luck should just affect everything the same…

1 Like