Skill Trees: Megathread and Discussion

Minus the radar chart and the conversion, this is the intention for attributes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was hoping to see something like this in the final tree, so I did not bring it up sooner, but I would like to see a sort of toggled ability unlocked at the end of a tree that sort of helps define a class more definitely at the end of a tree. For example, at the end of the attributes tree, an ability pertaining to each respective path could set players apart.

Just as an example;
Toggle for Vitality tree- Indomitable: restores HP and Craft energy by (x%.) (Y cool down time)

Endurance- Second Wind: restores stamina by (x%) (y cd)

Dexterity- Uncanny Reflexes: for (x seconds), double tapping in any direction performs a fast combat roll in that direction (y cd)

And so on. Ideally, I’d love to see a game changing ability like this at the end of each attribute tree. It would help further define the various pve classes, and in some cases be beneficial to various crafting/building specs as well. As an added bonus, it adds for some awesome gameplay and meaningful spec decisions.

7 Likes

The Attributes seem unnecessary confusing … Power and strength, Dex and Agility, Vit and Endurance … they seem to be nearly the same when reading and also the effects seem to be unnaturally seperated. I would put them down into 4 instead of 8 (Str+Pow = Str, Vit+End = Vit, Agi+Dex = Dex, Int+Luc = Int) while leaving the dropchance out of the character stats (it will leed to frustration if people want to have the best to find chance and have to sacrifice other potential good skills/abb/atr/whatever for it)

I just don’t understand why I get stronger with power (hammering down creatures and blocks) but cant throw at a higher range which should be also linked to the same attribute. Why raising movement speed with agi but not action speed? They just seem artificialy and not thoughtful.

In total I have the feeling that most stuff presented in this thread is not satisfying me. It’s to liniar in total and also seems to be artificial and unreasonable in many cases (like i wrote before) … Hope that I’m wrong and it may make fun later … but atm I have a soggy taste while looking at the trees/waterfalls.

5 Likes

pretty much agree with this 100%

Vitality - Increases the amount of Health Points and Crafting Energy to craft harder items
Endurance - Increases the amount Stamina Points
strength - Increases the amount of damage dealt to creatures and blocks, it also improves crafting skill to improve crafted item stats and Increases throwing and block placement range.
intelligence - healing potency
Dexterity - Increases movement speed, crafting speed and Increases action speed and block placement speed
Luck - Increase chance of items dropping, critical chance to craft powerful items and critical chance to deal more damage per action

• i think that if strength gives only throwing and block placement range there would be much better choices to place points since we have limited points to spend so high chance it becomes useless attribute for most of the people.

• intelligence is always related to “magic” in all games i played so crafting speed would suite for dexterity better.

• Agility would be the crit attribute but luck would get less popular with that setup so i placed all crit related to luck and speed related to dexterity since there is no point for 2 or 3 different attributes to increase different speeds.

OR

Vitality - Increases the amount of Health Points
Endurance - Increases the amount Stamina Points
Power - Increases the amount of damage dealt to creatures and blocks
Intelligence - healing potency
Strength - Increases throwing range
Agility -Increases movement speed
Dexterity - Increases action speed
Luck - Increase chance of items dropping
crit - critical chance to deal more damage per action

• crafting attributes

attribute1 - Increases crafting Energy to craft harder items
attribute2 - improves crafting skill to improve crafted item stats
attribute3 - Increase crafting speed
attribute4 - block placement range
attribute5 - block placement speed
attribute6 - critical chance to craft powerful items

Yes like a scope, just that a discoverer / scout should not just be able to benefit from a tool, but from his own eye sight.

You can in example see details like ores on a mountain wall much better then someone else, who is no scout. (I actually wished for that many times, when I ran through the deserts and saw all those ores unsharp on mountain walls. was never sure, if it’s worth to go there, because iron / silver, gold / copper, tech fragment / component are on distance really hard to differ).
Or you see an incoming thread earlier then your comrades, because visiualized items and creatures will be visualized in double of normal distance.

Of course it makes sense to be able to toggle on a different view distance since the resolution of your screen makes many things automatically not definable anymore. You could do it in a way, as if you put on a sight glass.

Of course, if we will be able to craft sight glasses additionally, both (ability and sight glass) should add to each other.

But would it not be something nice to integrate as skills as well? like:

• elemental attributes are 10, 20, 30% more efficient on tools / armor / weapons / machines / engines (damn, I would really love to buy stuff from that guy!) → craftsman skill
  • increase attack damge / defense against certain elemental creatures → assassine / tank skill
  • final attacks in combination with elemental armor / weapon like (frostnova (ice) → freezes creatures around you, thunder strike (electric) knockback to all your enemies.
  • special abilities on tools for miner: thunderblast (electric), activate and your next hit will crush a hole of 3 x 3 in front of you in static environment (x cd)

How did you design the skills and attributes of boundless? did you just think about what is easy to balance, or did you think in the way boundless is designed - new, innovative, different from other games?
Because I feel like there is lack of innovation yet. The true potential of boundless for me is not reflected in the skill trees yet. You could add more decision making, more complexity and of course huge amounts of different skill ways (since we do not have races and classes, which in many other games create much more room for diversity).

I don’t want to critizise too much… I bet you spent your time on it and you had reasons why you decided for this structure yet. I know you also have a schedule… but Maybe think about it. I’d just like to see the true potential of boundless shining over other games.
Is it not wish of every game designer to create a “milestone” of game history? I think this is just possible by innovation.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

We’ve taken notes and we’ll look at what changes need to be made within our budget and team size. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s the worst thing I ever read or listen about games. :dizzy_face: Leprous child of damned effectagementality, which take roots deep in most minds of people in USA, lesser in Europe, and more lesser in slavic countries.
In every MMORPG you can find a guides “How to build the Invincible Warrior”, “How to build the Most Powerful Warlock” and so. And thousands of players, who sold their souls to the god of Effective Management, doing templated heroes with identical sets of skills, abilities and attributes. You don’t create, rear, train you character, you mechanically build a legion of soulless tin puppets. It’s the dead end. :skull_crossbones:

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but it sounds Metal as #<:(!

4 Likes

A little off-topic but I just can’t resist

Hurr Durr, told ya that this arcade-like respawning is :poop:

1 Like

I mean what “interesting builds” is a dead end in character’s evolution.

Didn’t tell me I don’t think.

Hope my critics didn’t hit too hard or were too negative. I actually appreciate your work and a lot of great stuff came out already. But that’s why I try to motivate for more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think he’s saying he’s against min-maxing but doesn’t seem to understand that so long as stats exist in some form in any give game that min-maxing is always going to be around and that true 100% balance on the dev side can never exist but is always a goal to strive for.

Well, now is a time for a kind question. :blush:

Could the Hammer Profiency and Natural Profiency improves crafted Wood Hammer stats?

They improve the stats when you equip it and have those skills.

If I am a toolsmith, and I have high Hammer Profiency, I must know how to make comfortable and useful hammer = hammer with improved stats. So on with material profiency. Is’n it right?

At the moment, proficiency is more about how well you can “use” that tool or material. However, it could also improve crafting capabilities. One to add to our notes.

1 Like

Another issue that hasn’t been mentioned yet is how such Skill Trees would affect the economy of this game.

With the proposed mechanics I see trading & economy becoming as neglected as in other MMORPGs, which kinda ruins the entire premise of this game as I thought that the need for trading and & economy would be the key- and core part of this game.

Firstly, I think this is caused as there are barely any eligible options besides of maxing the crafting branch. The rest of the trees barely feature anything that would justify the inconvenience of not being self-sufficient.
One could think that the Attributes might be a reasonable choice as well. but dependent on how significant their impact is they’ll either

• be a ‘must have’ for anyone planing to fight creatures, effectively locking everyone who has spent points on crafting instead of stats inside his/her beacon (I overexaggerate, I know)

or

• be nothing but a convenience thing, resulting in everyone skilling crafting as I already wrote.

I think, as the system stands now, it will be borderline impossible to balance this out.

Secondly, even if it were perfectly balanced you’d end up with this:

Which is not bad, but I was hoping for more.

Maybe adding actual ‘proficiency’ to the Proficiency Tree would help here. What I mean by that is to add a chance that a player without enough proficiency has a chance to break an ingot/gem/tech instead of harvesting it. This way you’d at least get something similar to a ‘Collector’ profession:

Which would already be a huge improvement of the cope of the economy imo.

6 Likes

don’t you think the luck / power profiency also supports miners (collectors)?

Of course everything also is matter of how many tree lines you can max out.

Also in your scheme i miss the traders!