So... bored

I’m really happy to hear the game isn’t boring for you, Etcher, it’s not for me either but there are lots of things still to come.

So while we’re busy developing new features, it’s good for us to hear from a large range of players who like and dislike certain parts of the game.

5 Likes

I think this happens a lot with any game. People burn out because they play too much, too fast. I appreciate that we, the community, and the devs want to keep the game fresh and interesting for as many people as they can and all the time, but it’s not realistic. I think sometimes that’s why people suggest taking a break and coming back. I’ve done this twice since launch, and I’m still excited to play Boundless every time I log in. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, to be honest, man, I’ve been playing this game since alpha. I have a to-do list that’s a mile long, but the tasks that I have set up for myself just aren’t satisfying. I’m 50+ (if it was counting past that, I’d be like 70+) on two characters and over 30 on the other eight. Alts aren’t really doing it for me, since I set up a little factory to grind out my early game feats and get over 30 (with Teaching Pies) with relative quickness. If I really wanted to, I could delete a character, and take another completely ridiculous name. Currently I have some gems; Hand. Head. Gas. Bojack. Craft. Etc… but, TBH, there’s no point in deleting and remaking characters. The skill sets as they are limit the usefulness and uniqueness of alts passed the point of 2-3. I make all the best foods, all the best brews, all the best tools. I have a character that is a max level miner, and breezes through resource gathering, which is great, and is working as intended, since I earned that. However, at a point, there’s nothing to do. Even if I get the rest of my build done on Cardass, there’s nothing to populate the whole thing. I wanted to build some facsimile of an NPC village, maybe not with NPCs, but at least to look like it would function as one. I think I’ve done an “okay” job of it, building it myself, but it still lacks the energy that I feel like it should have.

So, to make this point at my own expense, and much to @Etcher’s shagrin, I am bored. The game boasts many features that it doesn’t currently have, and I have made several posts alluding to this, but let’s just go with the big three. The ones that are literally the taglines of the game itself.

Build: Yeah. We can do that, and with the sculpting update, (however long ago that was) we can make some impressive things. But they all lack life and diversity. Designing out something that is impressive and large doesn’t actually use the space that it occupies. With the exception of major hubs and easily accessible / marked capitals, they don’t get any sort of appreciation. It really limits the world size and scope. Which actually feeds into the second point.

Explore: There is nothing to explore. Every planet, whether a T1 or a T6 offers so very little in that regard. Repetitive biomes and textures leave an overtly homogenized feeling. There’s no nooks or crannies that offer prebuilt structures or unique locales. The worlds feel flat, and once you’ve seen about 10% of the world, you could pretty much walk away knowing that’s all you need to see. Apart from filling the atlas, which provides a marginally entertaining distraction, there is no real unique resource or experience. The gems change, sure. The surface resource allocation may vary, but there’s no actual indigenous or exotic thing that grabs you. The exploration should actually get you enticed to do it. Some easy suggestions would be journal entries, that could be a line or two of text that explain how / why that region came to exist. Or even a beastiary that lets you see the different premutations of creatures. Something. Anything. There’s no story in this game, so there’s no imaginary exploration. There’s no reason really to delve into nifty fissures or caves, because there is no actual uniqueness. I remember reading that you guys individually curated each planet. Maybe you could give us some insight as to why you did X, Y, or Z.

Craft: Well, you guys got that covered. There’s a good and extensive list of things to craft. But… there’s nothing that differentiates my iron chisel from anyone else’s. There’s no brand. Again… no uniqueness. I feel like there’s a thousand other shops doing the exact thing I am, and apart from forging, I can’t make something that is truly a find. It’s just one of the many.

So, why I’m bored of Boundless, in a nutshell, or TL:DR: I feel like my impact on the world doesn’t matter, and even if it did, the world is so vanilla as it is, it just sort of blends into everything else.

Oh, and @Steggs101, to answer your questions, there’s a post that answers the dungeons question pretty well.

I can tell you the exact moment I got bored, and that was right after my friends stopped playing because they thought the game lacked content.

13 Likes

Would be nice if we had Minigames we could play in the game. Like able to actually use the Chairs to sit at the table, which could have say Chess on it and play chess with other players. Or Poker, or many other stuff. Like add some Playstation Home stuff! Stuff where we can do little activities in the game, like Play some Pool on a Pool board and other players can see and watch too. That would be amazing. Especially if adding more decorations, animations, games, and can get people to actually do roleplay stuff too.

6 Likes

That’s a really good write up, thanks for taking the time to do that and keeping it nice and constructive.

Everyone here always looks through forum posts, and I often point a load out to certain developers here to take a look at (without mentioning that on the thread itself), but I will (along with many other threads) point people to this. I’d also be interested to hear from other people as well, if you agree or disagree etc (just keep everything constructive and on-topic).

There’s a lot of room for more content in Boundless, the end game at the moment could certainly do with more, and even early-mid game could be made more engaging with some extra bits too. The good thing is that a lot of this boils down to having more stuff to do in game, from cool little bits of Lore to massive new features, and we’ve got plans for both of those and everything in between. It is going to take time, but we’re not going anywhere; we’ll be hard at work for the next few years getting more and more features (and fixes) into the game.

Thanks again for expanding on this, and to everyone reading, please feel free to share your thoughts (constructively). :+1:

15 Likes

Well folks, plying a game is much like making love. You can rush through to the end as fast as you can and then turn over and do something else. Unfortunately, you’ll get bored really fast and take up some other hobby. Or, you can be slow and methodical and enjoy every moment, making it last a long, long time and keep interested in it night after night.

Then it’s also enhanced greatly if you do it with other people. It’s a social game, after all.

That said, we could all do with more exploratory content from time to time. I mean, ancient temples (or abandoned headquarters or rocket bases or whatever). A mystery to leave speculation.

4 Likes

So those T7 planets, are they coming soon? :smiley:

What would also help me from getting bored in a few weeks would be simply more planets, more T5 and T6 would be a great start for instance! I know the amount of players isn’t high enough to support such things I suppose but if it helps to retain the ones that are still playing it could be a wise investment!

And yes, more new content besides T7/8 planets would be great! (and if you add higher tiered planets, please one of each in every region! well, US, EU and AU)

1 Like

Dude, although it’s a great analogy, this game and forums are supposedly be kids friendly. :wink:

You still referencing love making? Right? :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Bruh. I’ve got several other hobbies, a job, and a social life. Just because I get it done quickly doesn’t mean I should enjoy it less. There should still be some reason to come back. I’ve written lore for this game, given my ideas and tried my best to contribute how I could. But it’s not rewarding to me. Even if I was with a clutch of friends, (which I am, most times) it just is fundamentally lacking.

The higher tier planets are coming, I don’t have a specific date yet though.

5 Likes

Well for me it’s not boring yet, but I already feel I will get there in just a few weeks or sooner.

I have a wishlist of things that I would love to see added/changed, so here goes:

• like I mentioned above: more planets, more places to find the same gem types
  • new planet tiers
  • change in how surface resources work, I get they need to be scarce but if I have a list of places to get my sweet beans, bitter beans, glow cap, exotic yams, etc. and I go there and 9 times out of 10 it has been completely picked clean by someone else is rather annoying. With the animals they keep re-spawning over and over, so if you’re hunting animal parts you don’t have such issues at all, not saying I want surface resources to respawn endlessly but something else, perhaps like with the looting of dead animals, 1 players picks a plant but it still exists for the players who did not?
  • not boredom/content related, but a change to the communication system is needed, I would like a group chat/PM to the people in the same settlement. Also being able to leave messages to people that are on another planet or offline would be rather awesome.
  • a more intuitive shop UI would be nice, having to walk past all shop stands to see if something was sold is not al that handy, all shopstands on connected plots on the same beacon in 1 screen would be awesome!
  • change in crafting menus, my crafter alt alway has a full inventory and still can’t take everything with her that’s needed often, a way to hook up specific storage boxes to ALL machines would be very nice
  • chaining of crafts, if I want to craft something but the machine is currently crafting one of the items needed allow me to queue it anyway, when making pies this happens a lot (Fortified Milk, then Butter).

There is more, but am hungry, so going to eat something first, will reply with more later!

3 Likes

The thing is, will these T7 planets have anything worth going there for except more of the same but in a higher difficulty environment? I would rather that content is created to make what we have right now more interesting than just higher level worlds with the same resources ( in varying amounts) and harder blocks to hit.

1 Like

I 100% agree with this! One thing that sucks about being a Shop Owner, is that when customer looks at a Shop Stand they see ‘X number of Items being Sold for Y amount’. Meanwhile the Shop Owner, or alts with permissions, just see ‘X number of item, Y coins to pickup’. It would be nice if we could see the whole shop’s inventory at once, instead of having to go to each stand. But also would be nice if it tracked how many of each item were sold.

^ Being a Iron Tools seller, it would be nice to see at a glance, how many Iron Axes sold yesterday so I know how many to make today. Instead I have to go to each shop stand, remember how many was in there before and how many are there now, and manually math it out that X number was sold and needed to be replace.

Another issue I have is specifically with Request Baskets. The Customers can see ‘Buying “X” Number of item for Y Each’. That “X”? The shop owners have NO WAY of know that info, without using a Calculator, punching in how much money is in the budget, and divide by the price set for the item. It would be nice if the UI told you on say, the Budge Screen, or the Price Screen, how many items you’d ‘Buy’ with the amount set on the Budget.

5 Likes

I’m nowhere near bored with the game but after Chev elaborated I can see his point

Yeah, that’s just it. That’s where it really gets grindy and why I move on from most games after a while (oh, great, another mob just like the other mob).

I think instanced dungeons programmed content and the ability to form ephemeral groups (content is instanced by groups; there is a group chat) would add nice variation from time to time. I imagine subscription (private) planets could provide something similar, as long as they could provide user-programmable content that’s not just grinding for resources just like grinding for resources everywhere already is.

It comes down to the fact that the only way to keep something fresh and new is to keep it fresh and new.

There are the 3 gems that are in game already, but just don’t drop yet. Blink, Dark Matter?.. and something else.

Rift is the third one.

There definitely is a need for some end game content but I know it is coming down the pipe eventually. For now I enjoy building my megaproject of a tower and I enjoy the chill times I have with this game so it’s always got a place for me.

Though if I am looking for a more active and involved experience I have other games I play. Instanced dungeons/planets/raids would be a good addition to this I think.

EDIT: Randomized temporary planets with higher teir monsters or bosses could also be cool for exploration and a fresh experience each time. As long as they don’t have unique resources that can only be found on that specific version of a planet during it’s limited lifespan.

EDIT 2: Probably the biggest thing driving me to log in every day is the guild I’m part of. I spend a lot of my time hanging around in voice chat doing stuff in game with other guildmates and having a great time. If I was on my own I would be more disinterested for sure. I think an in game guild system could also help a bunch with keeping people engaged. Every MMO i played for any significant period of time i stuck with because of the awesome people in guilds I joined and I know this is the case for many other players in MMOs as well.

EDIT 3: I also hope that new materials make tools and such with unique flair and purpose instead of just doing more damage. Bombs that teleport you to the impact point ala enderman orbs in minecraft (maybe friends as well through forging), hammers that are the only material able to gather other high teir blocks or grapples that let you mount cuttles.

Sorry for all the edits I didn’t wanna make more posts.

2 Likes

My only concern with concrete guilds is that as long as their is not a physical bonus to joining a guild that would work, other wise it would put solo players at a disadvantage – due to any type of ‘allowance’ system.

This is of course out side of player to player transactions. That is of course fine, but just as long as it’s not like you get coins or materials specifically for playing in a guild vs solo.

I think chances to find unique events would be interesting, whether it’s a ruined oort spaceship that crashed landed and you can scavenge from the wreckage or find like lore pages that explains what is happening out in the cosmos and what the oorts are up to in space.

Similar to what meteors do now, except pre crafted ships that wreak and skip across land?

And you can grab like iron bits and smelt them down to base iron or gold or copper, or find some gems the oortian was hauling?

Or have temporary “portals” that open up to hidden worlds or caves for say a bunch of glowmushrooms that drop shimmering orbs.

You mean copy the idea of Wormhole Space from Eve Online? Portals opening and closing randomly around on different planets, leading to spaces you can explore and even build inside of, but the exist portals can lead to anywhere and everywhere, including other spaces to explore?