Solo Universe question

Hey I am really enjoying my time in this since i found out I can host and play my universe solo on my machine and play at my pace and leisure. The one thing I am having issue with I hope someone has an answer for.

When I generated my planets I had 3 mixed worlds, I then got to the point where I needed specific worlds for some resources. I encountered a problem then where Every planet i generated ended up between 33-38 blink/sec away and thus was out of max portal range.

My question is, is there a way to move the planets closer to each other by editing some settings or something as it has now halted my progress in my streams etc.

Also I know about using the debug to instantly travel to worlds but that doesn’t solve my issue as it is kind of a cheat and i am trying to keep my progress as true to actual game play as possible. Also the portals are a major feature to me.

1 Like

I think there’s a way to do it, I’ll test a couple of things maybe today or tomorrow and get back to you :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

If you create something like a T6 and try to reach it from a T1 lush - that wouldn’t be possible in the natural Known Worlds (I can see that you are playing in your own Universe though). Portal networks usually hop from one nearby planet to the next, so that they are reachable. ie: T1 > T2 > T3 > T4…

Do you have enough planets to create a portal network?

In the map above, you wouldn’t be able to create a portal or hop from Storis II (T1) to Alcyon (T6). They are too far away. You could create a portal from Storis to nearby planets like Angel and Grovidias Te. Then create a portal on Grovidias Te to planets even further away.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you all info is really helpful. I am new enough and like I said am really enjoying it. It is like crack😂

2 Likes

So what I gather from what you are saying is that the “Tier” of the planets involved dictates the distance from the last one generated? If so that is good to know as I will have to generate the planets in succession by tier and create a portal network like that. Nice one I will try that tomorrow. Thank you so much for the info.:smiley::+1:

1 Like

This is the portal distance/blinksec chart for the 50 Known Worlds in the live universe for reference:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/12k1fy2gO54PCdZn-J_EJsSBtJL7_6C7c8f-PoCqaHz8/htmlview#

And here is some more info:

1 Like

You sir/madam are a legend. Thanks for all the details and charts and all. I really thought I was screwed and I really didn’t want to find a new game to play/stream since I have been enjoying this so much. I will definitely mention this interaction and you in my coming streams as to how helpful this community and this forum has been already. :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

No problem, you are quite welcome. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it :+1:

1 Like

Try to play in the Live Universe while you’re at it! The community’s pretty nice.
Was going to give you some help but major beat me to it

2 Likes

Ah Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I amn’t really into the MMO vibe but I did put 60hours into the MMO portion and it isn’t for me. I am more of a lone player and occasionally do co-op on some games, very rarely. I am glad that they have the solo though as I can still enjoy this great game :smiley:

Thank you again I am glad that there is nice people out there willing to help even us lone selfish players.

2 Likes

So the config file which seems to control the distances would Boundess/discovery/universesettings.json.

Basically I think if you decreased the values in these arrays:

"layerSiblingDistances": [1, 1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 14, 20],
    "layerCousinDistances":  [2, 2, 4, 8, 14, 20, 28, 40],
    "layerParentDistances":  [3, 3, 6, 12, 21, 30, 42, 0],
    "exoPlanetDistances":    [3, 6, 12, 21, 30, 42, 42, 42],

within that file then the next planets you generated would be closer (keep the minimum values at 1, decrease the others) - although I haven’t tested it. I’m guessing the position in the array is to do with the planet tier since there are 8 entries :man_shrugging:

The method I was intending to use didn’t end up working because the server seems to protect against it :confused:

2 Likes

How about increasing max player blinksec skill or changing the portal fuel cost?

1 Like

Yeah that’s definitely feasible - should be possible to increase the base blinksec distance you can warp without needing to have the skills and should be possible to make portals free (or whatever you would want them to cost)?
But to make the client play nice it would probably mean modifying files on the server and the client, which would make playing on the live mmo a little weird because in that case the server would disagree with you

3 Likes

Nice one man, that is definitely something I will try. Managed to get my portal network running now thanks to @majorvex who told me that the blink/s seems to be related to the planet tier that determines the distance that the planets spawn. But your info will definitely be useful If i want a higher tier planet closer to me to save on cost if I just want to warp to it etc for quick resources. Thank you so much for testing that and finding the actual strings associated with the planet distance. Must have took a bit as I couldn’t find them in the files (admittedly I didn’t know the terminology they where using for the planets) thanks so much again for taking your time to test and troubleshoot all that.:+1::smiley:

3 Likes