Some sort of player fly mode just for plotting

So I’d personally really love some sort of very limited fly mode for beacon plotting (don’t think it should be allowed for anything else).

It could be a remote control drone or something that can only fly only within 16 blocks or so of a plot.

The thing is, plotting right not works loads better when you’re outside of the plot, and as you build higher into the air it gets quite tricky if there’s not much to grapple on.

I find myself building huge gravel/sand towers to get the right view for plotting, but if a fly mode could somehow fit into the game style and be limited just to plotting, it would be a whole lot easier.

Another option would be some sort of plot overview that you could add/remove plots using a gui, but i think that’s a bit too much and would detract from the game style…

1 Like

The issue I’m more concerned about is plotting underground and into a mountain (say). It’s currently hard to visualise what is going on - especially if you’re inside the plot. I’d be interested to hear ideas about solve both problems.

Did someone just say jetpacks?

4 Likes

If it was some sort of drone then the view of the drone could have opacity turned down on blocks and turned up on the plot markers.

The drone could even walk through walls, but once inside the wall all you see is fog and plot lines. (No resource cheating etc)

I mean jetpacks would be amazing as long as they weren’t too powerful :smiley:

Maybe a jetpack connected to a powercore with a flexipipe? :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I (we) don’t know how the map will look like in 1.0 but you could do this with the map maybe? It could be a map that you can rotate and scroll up and down, so maybe you can add plots via the map? I don’t know but anything that helps us with plotting would be awesome. Sometimes if I stand in a plot I don’t know if the plot next to it is also mine because of the grey/white overlay. I have to go outside and check, yes it’s mine.

1 Like

i like the drone idea, some sort of magic creation pet familiar you can send up for a duration, see through its ‘eye’(s) and then has a short nap (cooldown) before it can go out flying again!

perhaps an upgraded version could even carry and deposit a beacon! and perhaps a way to upgrade the duration of time or distance from the player it can travel

Maybe changing the colour scheme from the grey/white if it’s your own beacon plots - similar to the compass - should help to differentiate between other players plots and your own.

+1. If you accidentally fall from a wicked gravel tower it’s crazy tedious to remove from the bottom up.

I found plotting underground difficult indeed.

Life Is Feudal use large zoom while in plotting mode (well, its not actually plotting, but the idea is there’s activity that needs better perspective and you can really zoom out a lot in that mode getting a good bird’s view). It was my thought right away when I was trying to add some plots and couldn’t get the right perspective.
So:

1. using plotter would switch you to plotting mode with zoomed out bird’s view of a larger area.
  2. all your equipment would be disabled - the only things you’d be able to do is to move camera around plus zoom in/out and add plots with simple left click.
  3. that would mean removing current click-to-place-new-plot while holding plotter; you would only equip plotter to click once to move to a different mode and then the whole equipment menu disappears and you only have the view plus clicking on visible areas to place new plots.

I’m ignorant in programming and such so forgive me if the idea only sounds easy but is too difficult to implement (there’s still an issue of displaying underground areas the way that would make it visible and still not opaque and obstructing the plot grid etc. - I can only imagine :wink: )

Maybe it would be all easier for everyone if we only place plots in horizontal plane and each plot would actually stretch vertically to infinity (well, its enough if it stretches beyond largest possible height and down to lowest possible point. No more problems with figuring out if the tip of my tower needs additional plot on top or if I just dug that one block too low and I need to add a plot below. Only width and lenght of my empire would bother me. Of course, you would need to balance number of plots available to players while levelling up as one would need less plots if vertical plotting is removed.

Jeez… its getting too long so I better stop ;p

1 Like