Some thoughts from a play session with a new player

Yep :slight_smile:
Also I heard so many times “you can punch wood” etc comments from people starting minecraft, so I guess it goes both ways :smiley:

1 Like

With all Minecraft influence you might see in Boundless, this is a completely different game. People who get disappointed that mechanics and ideas are quite different at times and whose first reaction is “I want this to work like in Minecraft”, simply need to get out of their Minecraft habits and try to look at Boundless as a new experience and a game on its own rights.

The sooner they do it, the sooner they will enjoy it. And if they still don’t then I can only feel sorry that they got lured here through Minecraft associations they got from reviews etc. I hope no one really feels they’ve been tricked to get the game that way though. And that any features they find hard to accept or get over, can easily be outbalanced by features they like (even if its only how amazing the game looks).

4 Likes

The comparisons are made not because people necessarily want it to be “like Minecraft” (though I’m sure some people might want that) - rather, because Minecraft set a lot of standards. Some of those standards are more arbitrary (hand vs totem) - but some standards are more substantial and important.

Change and ‘being different’ is good - as long as it has a purpose and is productive. Change for the sake of change is rarely beneficial. I don’t see an issue with Boundless having a totem - and it seems, imo, to be more immersive than your hand. That said, there’s still plenty of other things from other games (like MC) that I would be fine seeing functional clones of - no need to reinvent the wheel.

Guys, I’d like to ask we stay off the topic of mc vs. boundless. It’s been brought up many a time here and if you really want to discuss it there are likely more suitable threads. Not trying to be rude, just want this thread to be used for new players to post their thoughts or for me to further document what my friends think of the game.

2 Likes

It kinda naturally went from some suggestions that were like:

The simpliest answer for me was to say that Boundless is not Minecraft. :wink:

All suggestions and impressions from new users are very welcome, of course. But when I see that people expect things to be like somewhere else, I will always try to make them look around in the forums etc.
And thats why I also mentioned game's lore. Get to the lore and forget any other games of the genre. Boundless, in my opinion, don’t try to be different for sake of it - pretty much everything (item ideas, art etc.) revolves around the lore and is consistent with the core idea that the game evolved from. When you immerse yourself in the ideas, a bit at least, your experience during game play is going to look different too. And most likely your suggestion will be more to the point as well.

1 Like

The easiest way to do that is to link to other threads where the explanation/lore has already been discussed :wink:

1 Like

@boundmore @Spoygg
I might have expressed myself wrong.
The Totem is used to gather basic material, right? A tool that is unbreakable, used when you don’t have better tools (or don’t want to expend them).
By my experience so far, tools are not that easy to get and they don’t last so long (no problem here, that’s a game design). I didn’t find any Iron yet and the best tool I could do is a Cooper Axe. This Axe is entire wasted in a single tree chop (taking a 60-70 logs) so when it breaks I need to use the totem. Till now that’s all fine… The problem is that the totem ocupies a slot space in your inventory and you need to keep draging it to your hand (if is not ocupiing there too).
Oh my… I can’t express myself well at all haha.
That’s the think: I think if should be a tool to gather just the base material, things like rock should not be gatheble by it. Why? Becuase there’s wooden tools. This will make you always be prepare with your tools.

Anyway… I see there’s a update comming for tools, maybe it will change what i think about it.

1 Like

I find stone tools good enough as you can make a lot of them quickly. Copper and iron tools need fossil to be made so the process is more time consuming.

Remember its all pre-release time now, I think I remember one of the devs saying there will be upgrades available to wooden and stone tools that will make them more useful and better option than they are now.

Can you tell me if you playing live or testing version of Boundless?

EDIT: I actually use totem to mine a lot whenever I start from scratch - before I obtain enough iron to produce tools in big numbers. Due to involvement in testing version I played from start 3 times now and I really found totem very useful until more copper and iron become available.

2 Likes

We’re playing again tonight. The newer guy found a bunch of gold so we took off for the ring world! Upon arriving we instantly came face to face with a cuttletrunk. I’ve never actually seen one in game before so it was exciting for all of us. One of my friends said we should revere it as a local god and not harm it. So of course, the other guy and I had to kill it on the spot :frowning: .Anyway, here’s more stuff from them:

-Smart stacks are really not very intuitive and should have an objective associated with them. The guy who was struggling with them finally understands them and their usefulness but was very confused yesterday.
-One of the guys started talking about how he felt like a cave he was in could be the set of a horror movie. I shared the concept art of the hunter. He lost it and is super excited for those.

2 Likes

Had the same thought yesterday when in caves near lava. I imagined one of the promised monsters attacking me out of nowhere. Either a hunter or one of those rock worm things.

Such eerie moments and if a hunter jumped me I would get a heart attack. It would be the coolest palpitation ever. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

We’re playing again today. Didn’t expect them to be this involved in a pre-alpha test server but they’re enjoying the game so far.

-Noise indicator for picking up blocks would be useful (I don’t agree with this, but I’m writing it anyway)
-Getting 10 spark per second instead of 1200 all at once would be nice.

Also the newer guy took a picture he wanted me to share of the setting of his horror film once hunters are introduced:

8 Likes

That screenshot is BADASS!

4 Likes

I might actualy steal that shot for my PC background:p

4 Likes

behind you!! :joy:

11 Likes

ok so i would like to expand on this point - maybe add a quest as like - build so many blocks high get XX xp then build so many blocks wide get XX xp the build an enclosed room get XX xp then add a roof get XX xp the add a door get XX xp then you have now completed your house get XX xp/levels/skills makes building more intersting (i have experienced a similar quest iin another building game but cant rem the name)

3 Likes