Spark Generator screenshots please?

Didnt know it was limited to 100 blocks, good to know.
On a guess, if you put a Generator at block 99 connected to the others you should have a connected Network if you continue 99 more blocks and repeat.

You can’t connect a spark generator to an other unless they are touching each other. So if you want to carry spark from generator more than 100 links further you can’t you have to place a new circuit.

And I believe by touching its 16 genarators.

If you need to cover 200 blocks you could place the generator(s) in the middle.

I was thinking i would have to do that. Make different circuits that is. Maybe I can build a “Transformer” with two ends running into it only for visual appeal. Then build another generator 200 away from the first.

1 Like

The spark from each stack of spark generators is only available to machines that touch a spark link extending from that group of generators.

So if you build a line like this:

G-------------------G-------------------G

Each machine on the line will see spark from two generators.

Also each park link count against the total for each spark generator it’s touching. So you can’t create a 200 long line of spark links between two generators. When i expanded my original workshop I did manage to make a loop that allows all of my machines to see both generators but it’s somewhat limited i can’t really have max coils with this setup.

You can see the double spark there on the machine interface.

16 generators is the max in a group that will behave as a single unit. You can stack them up sort of how you like but no row or column in the stack can connect more than 4 generators in a line.

The 16 generator stack can load spark more quickly, and with more durability, than a single generator. However in the end it doesn’t matter how many generators you stack, the set can only hold something like 16777777 spark.

3 Likes

how many geny’s do you have in each corner? 16 ?

Yes, I was editing the post to include more info about stacking them I’ll throw some fuel upstairs and see if I can get it to generating zero spark.

Here we go:

This stack is basically storing fuel now it’s full. It won’t consume a piece of fuel unless it can contain the entire spark so the “max” amount it holds in practice is always off by a few spark. The smaller (less spark) the fuel you include the closer it can get to it’s actual coded limit.

Just since I’m adding a bunch of detail for people doing research later as well, the generators joined in the stack are decayed and repaired as a single unit by tapping anywhere on the entire stack with a spanner.

And a WARNING if you run spark link in the corners of your build, through a wall, or in any spot adjacent to a plot line, someone else can connect to them and use the spark in your generators. This sounds minor, it even supports what the OP is wanting to do. You just need to remember that a large run of something like poles and beams can consume hundreds of thousands of spark in a flash.

2 Likes

Wait, can you put multiple generators together ???

1 Like

Yes you can stack 16 total

This, I will have to be creative with

no that’s a myth :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can combine them but it doesn’t add to the amount of spark it can hold, or the number of spark links you can connect in a line. Those values stay the same for a stack of one or a stack of 16.

It does, AFAIK, change the number of lines you can create by giving you more faces to attach to.

So how many links do you have between generators? about 25?

This is an old shot before all the machines were in . Four pods of 16 generators to minimize the spark links

1 Like

No this ring is very close to its limits. It runs around the inside edge of the outer ring of a 5x5 shop and including the links up to each machine and the links required to close the loop I’m just a couple of links off the limit on both sides.

There are only two stacks in this workshop - my design goal was to have all spark in the shop available to all the machines at all times. When I initially tried it with 4 generators I found each machine could only see two at a time.

I’ve considered trying to integrate a third or fourth stack without breaking the loop but TBH - Maybe when i need more than 34m spark in a day :rofl: As it is I’ve never actually burned more than 4-6 million spark in a day that I can recall.

This isn’t a guild or shared facility though just a private shop.

This seemed logical to me at first but Iearned quickly how much it hurt to have all the spark you need over by the workbenches but just really needing it at the refineries right now (for example). These days I just keep them topped up so it doesn’t matter nearly as much as it used to.

I do like having the circuit in the shop though I think it was worth the iterations. The fact that each link in it counts against each generator stack means that I could possibly get a third and even 4th generator onto this ring (I have honestly not tried) without breaking the circuit, they couldn’t be used to actually expand the ring at all.

Had you tried a longer generator setup? Have you made one longer than 4 somehow?

you can connect 16 spark generator direct in a grid of 4x4

In the end the group appears to need to be within a 4x4x4 to operate.

You can see that even though adding new generators is possible here, if they would extend outside of this space placement is not allowed:

Even though that last placement would not extend any row or column out past 4 generators, it would expand the placement overall to be 4x4x5 and that’s not allowed.

So for each stack of generators acting as a unit you’re allowed 64 positions for the 16 generators, as long as they are all connected on at least one side they will all act as a unified generator.

1 Like

Thank you so much. That will limit designs quite a bit.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m thinking about a larger workshop, maybe not more machines but fully coiled ones, and it’s quite a puzzle to have them share a communal pool of spark like this AND be in a pleasant/open configuration.

I haven’t gotten to much experimentation yet I think I may offset a couple of piles vertically to minimize spark links lost to the joining of the units.