Spark Thievery

This is a bit of a PSA. If you either build with spark link or place your spark generators on the outermost blocks of a plot, it is possible for someone to place a beacon and use spark link to connect to your spark generator. They can siphon off all of your spark from another beacon using a character without any permissions.

So, for now, everyone be careful about the placement of your spark generators and spark link. FYI, a machine can be provided power from a power coil across plot boundaries also.

Not sure if this is an intended feature, but I can see how it might lead to a problem if abused. If it is an intended feature, then might I suggest adding the ability to charge coin for spark? How about charging for power coil usage? I would absolutely love to build the first utility company with power lines and generators, etc. I can see it now (written in huge gleam script):

BOUNDLESS POWER INC.

It’s already technically possible in a sense with hand trading coin to the power provider to pay them to fuel the generator. I just think it would be neat to add a coin cost to the machines when you are connected to a generator that does not belong to you and also to add an interface to the spark generator where you set the cost per spark. Same thing for power coils.

Wouldn’t it be neat to not have to dig for coal? Or to have to worry about repair of your spark generators? Wouldn’t it be cool to have millions of spark available if you had the coin? I think it’s a neat idea and would work very well to add a feature to the economy.

Edit: @Steggs101 @james

7 Likes

lol Good to know.

I one up this idea for spark business opportunities!

1 Like

Yep, the business opportunities for this are huge! Just think, there could be Miners that sell their coal to the power company, the power company sells spark to the Crafters, and the Crafters sell the tools to the miners. Boom! Instant economy! Also, this would make Spanner Mastery worthwhile for the power company. Let’s get industrial, yo! It might be nice to raise the limit on the number of spark links that can be connected together to really make this feasible. Otherwise, I’d have to build sub-stations. But maybe that’s OK.

In the meantime, this is an easy way to provide spark and power for your friends without giving them access to your plot.

2 Likes

I had a theory about what would happen if you connected to someone else’s spark links. Crazy that it actually works.

1 Like

makes me wonder if storage will connect as well tbh… but it would be cool if you could provide other people with spark… or even heat/power for money

Oh! I’ll have to give that a shot. Also, doors and signs.

I remember reading in an older thread that this functionality was intentional, so players could share spark between each other

1 Like

Which is great! But the spark links should only connect if both players have permissions to both plots.

1 Like

This is a feature not an issue :joy:

It could be an issue if someone pirates all your spark because you placed a spark link on the border of your plot. I am not really saying that it should be changed, per se. I just wanted to let everyone know that it’s possible. Also, I think it’s awesome and that it actually should be expanded to allow for charging for power.

It’s easy enough to not get your spark stolen long as you know this is a thing. Not many people are gonna post a beacon, plop a machine, build spark links, steal your spark and leave.

cant have more than 90 spark wires in one single circuit. So there goes that idea for the power company thing…

1 Like

That’s like 11 plots radius or a 23 by 23 plot area, that’s enough area to house a decent sized community settlement

That is assuming its headed in a straight line with no branches coming off of it.

Storage is cut off on beacon boundaries, even between two beacons you own.