Stream with Cookviper!

Video from my stream yesterday with @Cookviper. This was one of the most fun times I’ve had in the game so far and it was a lot of fun running around to different planets and communities looking for players to give gleam too. Special thanks to the Dev’s for giving some awesome prizes to hand out during Cookviper’s Chisel/Sculpture contest and also huge shout out and thank you to Cookviper not only for putting together the contest but also for being such a stand up guy and giving away a lot of this special gleam to random players in the game. Can’t wait to stream or record with you again man.

10 Likes

Btw @Cookviper the issue you experience at the start of the stream where you’re running around 1 block deep should be fixed once Testing hit’s Live. The issue is that the game is showing you a higher LOD to help present the world faster. This system works ok for distant chunks, but clearly just looks broken when you’re able to walk around in the wrong LOD.

We’ve done a lot of work on the world loading and portals in Testing - which will hopefully make a big different to the loading performance (and fingers cross) eliminate a particular class of rubber banding for players. If you have a good connection and can’t work out why the game still rubber bands sometimes - then we should have eliminated these cases.

7 Likes

I was never worried for a second. I knew there was a fix on the way. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah I experience the LOD issue a lot, but so long as it’s getting a fix it’s all :ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

Oh also:

• you can only grapple friends. (We disable grappling non-friends to stop grief pulling players into lava.)

• missing tool in 3rd person is a known bug.

7 Likes

By the way @james, when this third person tool bug is fixed, will we be able to see the light from other people’s torches they are holding? That would be nice.

1 Like

Not at the moment.

The problem with this is that if N players all have light sources should the game render all additional N lights? At the moment it’s limited to the light the player holds.

We could add support for more lights be it would require refactoring a chunk of the rendering.

Ok, that makes sense, especially when there is a larger playerbase. What if it is restricted to friends? Or maybe people within your guild? Or maybe just the N amount of players closest to you that the game can handle?

The problem is that we’d need to rework a large part of the rendering just to ‘allow’ many more dynamic lights (without it being far too expensive) and never mind that we’d then start needing to implement dynamic shadows for it not to just look silly with lights just going through walls (it happens for your own lights, but the light position is generally close enough to the camera that it doesn’t really matter).

Restricting to friends/guilds doesn’t change anything since you could still have 100 friends/guild members stood next to you (and we already still have a bunch of performance work just around having so many characters close by to begin with, especcially with creatures and more and more complex props on the way)

Actually thinking about it, rendering 100 shadows for everything at once does sound pretty expensive!! I get it completely :grin: @lucadeltodecso

Hello, I’m not OmniUno, thanks for the gleam. :kissing_heart:

Sorry I was afk :sweat_smile:

4 Likes