Stupid question: are nights longer and more frequent?

Hi,

this is one of those silly questions again, but recently I had the impression (roughly since the last patch) that the nights are occuring much more frequent and feel much longer than the day. I am on Circapous and happily building my base, but ever so often notice that I can’t see a thing as I feel it’s constantly night.

Bearing in mind, I don’t use any luminous skills, brews or tools, hence I notice this much more. :wink: I was recently provided with a totem that shines a bit of a light (thanks to Combustive), but I still find it slightly annoying. Am I the only one or are there others that feel the days have become way too short and rare?

5 Likes

Yeah, and perceptions are deceiving, I tried to time the length already but waiting is boring, so I do stuff and when I do stuff I miss the daytime/nighttime change. It’s annoying. :smiley:

2 Likes

Nothing really changed. The thing is when you need day, nights take forever. And that goes the other way around to. The most annoying thing is when you have the time you need it seems to fly by in seconds.

I now need to build during day time and see the results during the night… verry frustrating if you need to tweak things. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure both night and day are the same length, but I get this feeling too. Bottom line is you notice more when something is bothersome, and time flies when you’re having fun. One thing I try to do to remedy is consciously look up from what I’m doing every now and then and catch myself in the good time.

It’s just so weird, I’ve been playing this for sooooo long and my play style never changed, all I do is building and I never noticed it so badly like in the past couple of weeks. Maybe my mind is going crazy. :wink: I NEED A LIFE! :stuck_out_tongue: Or maybe because of the bad weather, it’s dark outside here as well so I notice it even more in the game… did I mention I might go crazy? CRAAAAZY… :smiley:

1 Like

If you’re on PC I think there’s a file you can edit to make it always night or always day…

Wouldn’t that be cheating? :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s a cheat, but a legal one

“Modding” or something

1 Like

Haha, I didn’t know there were “legal cheats” :smiley:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Most anything client side is allowed. Things like item duping, flying or griefing would be the only things that aren’t.

There’s also a quirk to make it always night or day as you hold an item. U got one but for the night setting?

I don’t think there is a quirk that makes it night or day permanently…There’s a quirk that reacts to If it’s night or day…

1 Like

Lately it’s always night on Lasaina… :cry:

1 Like

Yea and it’s daylight saving in oz…so days should be longer. And no snow…lol

2 Likes

All i have to say to this is: LOL! :rofl:

1 Like

I use to run game servers and the number one complaint on any game that had a day/night cycle was that nights were too long…

literally it could be 45 minutes of day to 15 minutes of night and people would complain left and right that they were too long.

The issue isnt that nights are too long… its that you have to invest 5 skill points or carry a torch.

only torches kinda suck because the block your vision and dont allow you to carry a 2nd tool.

I really wish we had miner hats with a light source that also required fuel because the nights are effective enough that people hate the dark…

I think i need to really say though, As much as i hate the dark and night it needs to not be changed or removed… there are not many games that actually have effective darkness that cant be cheesed by turning up the gamma or contrast.

2 Likes

Strangely - I ran game servers as well - night time was never and issue on mine. Weirdly - as I said - I also only noticed it recently, my play style hasn’t changed and it never bothered me before. And yes, I quite often have a lantern with me - or nowadays that neat shiny totem that Combustive made for me (because I do not wish to waste 5 skill points, hehe). But again, never bothered me until recently.

I actually do really like the night time in Boundless, particularly the colourfulness (is that a word?) of the landscape at night and the gleam shining. So it’s not that I don’t like the night, I just have the perception it had increased in length and amount.

I dont think that nights are longer i think the issue is that when you are in doors, underground or outside at night, the level of light is roughly the same…

where as when you go outside during the day its like:

Im not saying it needs to be changed or anything, just this game has a super hard contrast between night/day. I physically feel my character’s irises as they struggle to adjust to the point that i honestly hate being outside during the day some times.

1 Like

Only in the northern hemisphere, it’s called winter :wink: For our Aussie friends it’s the opposite.

Oh wait you meant in boundless :wink: I am pretty sure they are exactly equal.

I wish the Boundless planets had defined equators and north/south poles. That would be cool.

1 Like

The balance is alright between day and night I enjoy the lighting throughout the worlds at night.

1 Like