Suggestion: add dueling mechanic

Basically i’d copy ESO’s mechanic
One person proposes the duel
The other accepts

This could be done the same way a trade is proposed and accepted.

There is then a 3 second countdown and duel starts. It ends when either player dies. No death penalty in duels.

The community can then take it from there with dueling courses and wagering and tournaments etc. I think this would be a nice way to slowly start working towards PVP without anything too crazy or complex to start with.

@james @lucadeltodecso

2 Likes

Yes please.
I have a terrible joke that I won’t verbalise.

Anyway, would be good, could have totem fights, wooden axe wars, all the way up to wasting forged umbris slingbows.

Start duels just before doing a hunt = no death penalty risk?

Would have to atleast prevent xp gain or something too i’d say.

5 Likes

Don’t allow duels to take place inside the radius of a meteor and if people enter the area of a meteor the duel is ended in a draw, win, or loss. It doesn’t need to be complicated. Nothing in this game does.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: luca has seen so much from us evil players… Maybe it has to be done within a beacon and if any player leaves the beacon, they lose and the duel ends.

4 Likes

If a participant takes damage from a mob, end the duel prematurely?

1 Like

Well that’s a little encouraging to hear a little bit communication back from a dev about some form of pvp.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Nice to know that it could be a possibility

You can also end the duel when health hits 1 hp so a revive is not needed. WOW does that

I would think if it is worth adding then there needs to always be a cost to the players that decide to duel. If you die then you get the death penalty and loose your bet. Use the same trading mechanism suggested and you each need to place a bet (bet can be anything or nothing). once it is accepted then start your timer and go for it.

I would also suggest that a player have the ability to set their character to never duel so they do not have to deal with other players constantly asking them. If they set it to no then the player that wants to propose a duel does not even get the option when looking at the other player.

edit: and maybe a player below a certain level cannot duel to protect new players from the kind of stuff I have seen in other games where more experienced players prey on the newer ones.

9 Likes

Yeah, I think if this is allowed, then only in a beacon borders and it ends if leaving the beacon plots. This could let people have colisiums to fight like gladiators or events. But as said above, maybe have a win-loss effect some how

I think the best way to implement duels or other forms of PvP is to make it on the beacon level. Even if there was an Advanced Beacon made that allowed for these settings it would provide players the ability to create controlled PvP environments.

So basically the interior of a battle arena could be all one beacon while the outer edges and seating area would be a non-pvp beaconed area. It would all be one settlement but allow for spectators to be unharmed from any sort of AOE attacks, like bombs or multi-shot slingbows.

There could be an interactive prop that players could interact with that they could use to place bets on who would win. Those who bet coin on someone who wins gets a really nice buff while those that lost the bet maybe get a buff that isn’t as good. This way everyone at least gets something. All of the coin goes to the winner of the fight.

Not only does this kind of system allow players to be encouraged to have some friendly pvp events, but it also brings people together. This feeds into footfall, shop stand sales, request basket sales, etc. that could be placed at the battle arena.

It’s also 100% opt in pvp that gives other players who don’t want to participate in pvp a chance to see it and interact with it while not having to die to another player. Everybody is winning in this. PvP worlds can come later on if the developers really want to explore that but I think pvp settings on a beacon isn’t really asking a whole lot and isn’t forcing anyone into anything.

This x 100000.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe a special pvp beacon shaped like a trophy or something

Problem with beacons is I cannot necessarily see them when crossing one, so how would I know if I was in a dueling beacon or not? And if I entered one accidentally what happens? If it covers a large area, do I have to go around it? Based on these concerns, I would prefer a setting on the character. I am not sure it matters where players duel as long as those that have no interest are not bothered by those that do.

Also to expand on the loser does get the death penalty, I would not allow a player with the death penalty to duel. They have nothing to loose so they can work off the death penalty before dueling again.

1 Like

I think it’s fair to include some sort of brief 10 second timer that flashes on the screen when entering a pvp beaconed area.

No matter what, the players involved (individually or not) need to be informed that they are being flagged for pvp. It’s a mandatory requirement IMO.

1 Like

personally, I think PvE and combat in general needs to be fixed as far as I am concerned before anything in regards to PvP is touched on. and a new stat should be added on to all players, to try to keep PvP balance isolated from PvE balance.

The joys and wonders of all the actual traps I can make with such things. Dropping people in to one via portal for example.

This would make dueling pointless in my book, people who like to duel, tend to want to do so over and over and over again, to practice, by trying to define it so after one duel they are done for a little while, would damage the function quite an amount, It would also destroy any player hosted tournament that requires redueling winners and/or losers of the prior round.

Furthermore it makes no sense, if you are going to do that, then you might as well also do the following,

People who have the death penalty should be kicked out of a meteor zone and not allowed to reenter because they also have nothing to lose by dying again.

1 Like

OK so what do you loose if you lose a duel? First time you get the death penalty, what happens subsequently? And I think you should get the death penalty. After all you specifically engaged in activity that could lead to death just like hunting meteors. Your health is reduced by a percentage each time? We go back to the old death penalty and you loose a percentage of the tool durability?

So I set up PvP beacons around resources to entice players to have to engage? Or traps as @Trundamere suggested. I do not think players should have to avoid areas on planets in order to not engage in PvP. Once private/rented planets are introduced then do what you want. Make the planet all PvP with a warning when you warp or portal in. But in the rest of the universe I still think that tying it to a players setting is best. why would this not work?

1 Like

Not saying it wouldn’t work. I would prefer that it’s implemented in multiple ways is all. I like to have variety in the game features. It’s what makes a game designed elegantly.

Why is that not enough? There is no other PvE focused game that I have played, where dueling a player to the death causes damage.

If you enjoy the sounds of 1/2 the player base screaming bloody murder as they hunt you down and [Graphically Violent Data Redacted] then yes we could do that.

What a fantastic way to determine plot war issues!!!

Have them duel for rights to the plot boundary! lol! Have a tick box in the beacon setting to allow or disallow dueling for ownership.

Hell, if beacons or a new beacon type could be created we could plot out entire zones that allowed dueling/pvp as soon as they entered the zone. Oh boy I like this,

1 Like