Suggestion: Color Names to Hex Codes for blocks (Hot Tan = 0x?)

It will be quite nice if the Devs could supply us with the exact hex code of the colors used for blocks in game (perhaps as an added information in the debug console, a large sheets\excel table, a global toggle between names and hex codes).

By having access to those, modelling work via third party applications can be much more color correct.

The colours are available in decimal iirc in the compiledcolourpalettes file

1 Like

Also you can find that on fourth page of this sheet:

Thanks @Nevir for that.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot everyone!
Being able to see the pure colors without (colored) light helps so much!

It’s not equal to pure colour of blocks ingame, because blocks have different texture+colour mixing. So you can compare “Cool Blue” as pure colour and as colour of Gleam block.

Yes, it’s really hard to compare block colors with colored light and reflections ingame.
The table helps a lot to judge the hue.

1 Like

Yup! Note that the list in that spreadsheet is specifically the color mapping for rock - other materials might have slightly different hex codes mapped to each color index, but it seems close enough for general use

Is it not a pure code from

?

It is - but each item type has a (potentially) different underlying color per color index

Here’s the raw source for that file: https://gist.github.com/nevir/0ec60cf2e13b83f400c5d79f0a68b8ed

and one sec while I generate all the mappings

1 Like

Here’s the full set of mappings parsed out for a bit easier consumption:

Most item/entity types use the same base colors, but have different highlights. And, for example, gleam uses slightly different base colors for each index

2 Likes

thanks guys! this is some great material!

My initial analysis shows all “base” and “highlight?” sets are equal for all material except Gleam. And “shade?” sets are different for most. By using that as criteria I found…

Breaking News! Our characters are made by Ice!

Seriously, the Ice “shade?” set is equal to character’s one as well as “base” and “highlight?” sets are for both.

3 Likes

Lawl. I guess that explains everyone’s frosty demeanor

3 Likes

Just dont use a dark magenta code. :#8B008B: it will bug out your chat box. Profanity filter takes control and thinks your saying boobs and screws everything up. Wherever I type “ok”, I get weird hex code that’s all *** out.

Here we discuss about blocks’ and items’ colours, not about chat.

I don’t see “blocks” in the title.

Doh, yeah - fixin’!

The thread is mostly about mapping block colors to hex codes

1 Like

Yea sorry. I didn’t see that until I think the 5th or 6th post. My bad. I was just trying to give people a heads up about that code. Sorry

1 Like

Having the colour codes is fairly close to useless for actual designing of things, since they get heavilly influenced by the atmosphere colour. So unless we know how that works, just having the actual colour codes is somewhat meaningless.

IIRC they’re working on making atmosphere tinting less aggressive