Swimming - Feature or Bug?

Hi,

I noticed that you do not swim with constant speed after one of the latest updates.
It feels like you gain speed, lose speed, gain speed, lose speed. It kinda feels like “reallife” swimming.
Do we really need that in Boundless? Its very hard to build from water now due to that speedthing.

3 Likes

Hi! The swimming Is not a bug. Its just swimming! :swimmer:

I personally like the realistic swimming, but thats just me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you build while swimming?

Im actually building an underground base that can only be accessed through a series of underwater tunnels. So yes!

Sounds cool. I’m an underwater builder myself. I’d love to check out your build sometime

unfortunately it’s not a bug … it’s a feature :confused: … i hope they remove it till release @ben .
i already wrote a topic about it Link

2 Likes

Im not a huge fan of the realistic swimming.
It’s nice to have it realistic, but building underwater is a struggle with it.

3 Likes

If we were doing freestyle instead if breaststroke, it’d probably feel more natural

I hope they keep the swimming behavior but introduce “motored boots” for swim at a constant and faster speed. That would satisfy all people the most :wink:

1 Like

IMO it’s more that we need a way to have the swimming transition into “slow mode” where you move at a constant (slower) speed as I agree it’s a bit of a pain to do fine manuevering in the water, however I wouldn’t want to get rid of the breastroke feel personally as it makes me feel like I’m actually swimming and not magically gliding across the water surface / through the water.

8 Likes

The unrealistic swimming have never bothered me in, say minecraft, but it might bother me now that i’m used to B>

hehehehehe :wink:

2 Likes

The breaststroke is definitely a good idea that I fully support, it is just not optimally implemented, but theoretically there is a really simple solution for that:

At the moment a graph of the speed over time of a swimming player would look similar to the blue line (at least it feels like that) if you would change it to something similar to the red (or even the green) line it would greatly improve the ability to move more precise and also still feel realistic (maybe even more than it does now :wink: )

PS:
I know that with the graph above the overall speed over long distances would increase so here is the “balanced” version :wink: :

Perhaps the gliding in water could be the perk of an aquatic race?

1 Like

well actually, a breaststroke looks more like this: https://swimmingcoach.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gs81.png?w=604

:wink:

2 Likes

Close enough :sweat_smile:
Did you really implement it with that pattern?

Maybe one of the water races will have the ability to swim with ease so all of you underwater builders can go about your business easily. :grinning: Or maybe there will be some special piece of equipment that will allow you to swim more easily for the other races, when that stuff is implemented of course. :sunglasses:

1 Like