Terminal Velocity Portals no longer seem to work

I made this about 4 months ago and its worked fine.

However more recently this started to happen with out fall.

Did something change in regards to how portals load recently? and can this be fixed?

1 Like

They made portal load distance based on size of portal. So the smaller the portal the closer you have to get before it loads. It’s slowed me down on PC, waiting where I previously didn’t. But it’s apparently a huge saving on bandwidth and I don’t pay that bill so.

You may be able to fix that build by making the portal larger but I dunno if it’s worth it.

I think it would be nice if the devs made portals not count for fall damage, like sponge and others. That way stuff like this doesn’t kill ppl

See the following release note:

2 Likes

It was done to help client performance around portals.

The engine was originally preemptively loading the other worlds. But in portal dense areas it would spend a lot of time loading worlds that were ever used.

This hurt the performance for many players.

It’s all a trade off.

2 Likes

Not sure how hard it would be to only trigger when 5+ portals nearby or something.

Low priority I guess but the game needs as many fun random things as possible.

Builds like this should be seen by new players to entice them in my opinion.

1 Like

Might try playing around with a 2 X 2 or larger set up later and I’ll report back, unless someone has already tried !?!
Had wanted to do a 1 X 2 a while back but had realised it would probably end in death or a least a very sore backside.

Ah, I must have forgotten about that one. Thank you for the response

What is this block material please?
2019-03-03

1 Like

Thanks !
Just about the only thing I’ve never made…

Nah, I can’t get the portal to open in time :frowning: and maybe mileage would probably vary anyway if peeps were prone to lag.
It’s a niche pastime and the greater good must prevail but still, shame, as portals have proven to be quite fun and versatile in the past.

If the only concern is client performance, would it be possible to get an ingame option to switch between current loading behavior and old one for people having the machines to support it?
Default being the current system of course.

I image every portal owner in a hub will enable the quick-loading behaviour because their portal is important.

I don’t think he means it is a setting on the portal but a setting in the client, the behavior would be per player, not per portal, it doesn’t matter what other players set, only what you set.

Ah, yes, I see that now.

I suspect the volume of data flowing from the servers has effects that can not be compensated for by having a more powerful PC at home. If enough people are special and have a powerful PC at home (I know I have several) then we’re back to square one where the servers just can’t serve enough data to keep up and there are 10 minute waits to get through portals at hubs. Same cause, same effect, different locus.

There was at least nothing mentioned about servers being the problem. Nowadays servers normally have 1GBit connection or more which is enough to serve many players and after first load it gets cached anyway.
The problem is likely more the rendering of all those portal worlds in your client which can be getting a lot in portal hubs.
So even better would be a client option for old loading combined with an option of portal loading distance. Would be the icing on the portal cake :slight_smile: