Testing 18: World Wrapping

You both don’t get my point.
Thing is not that I’m frustrated about the progress reset. I am very happy that so much updates come.

But if I know that in a rythm of 2 or 3 weeks server wipes are “planned”.
Then I will always just gather as much ressources as necessary to test new features and won’t collect far more (what I recently did). I expected the next update would come without server wipe so I can use my collected goods to immediately test new features and I don’t have to start with gathering before testing.

That is the only idea behind, why I would like to know if more wipes are planned in this high frequence.

1 Like

for me, 2 days was plenty enough to gather all the resources to craft what the game offers at the moment, different case is if you are looking to test something extreme like does 100x wooden shelves get locked by one lock in this version or is it bugged etc.

I don’t know how much hours of play time “a day” has for you. But when it basically has 1 - 2 hours, it’s not quite much.
Then you really think about how to invest your time…

As already said in the thread, if you want stability use the Live version, if you want the latest features (at the expense of stability) use the Testing version. (But you know this!!)

We don’t give any warnings about when wipes will happen on Testing. Because you should expect a wipe for every Testing release. This is the safest and clearest communication of what to expect.

I kind-of want to say that the coming development releases are unlikely to require a wipe of Testing. But I don’t want to make any promises that I’ll be forced to break. The recent features: World Regen, Resource Regen, World Wrapping - all required rebuilding the worlds. In the future instead of wiping the worlds we’ll switch to Migrating the worlds, where they’re converted from an old format to the latest format. This can be quite expensive, because the converting process can be tricky to code and expensive to run once we have many worlds live. (The conversion code is then thrown away - so doesn’t feel valuable.)

Ultimately I think this is best solved by migrating Testing to Live regularly. And Live having all the latest features to play with. Then Testing can quietly do it’s job of testing new features.

(I realise that I didn’t really answer your question @Smoothy!)

3 Likes

It’s incredibly difficult to “plan” releases and wipes. Bugs and breakthroughs can happen unexpectedly in the code. It’s not like building a house where you can lay a foundation, add a structure, add some rooms, decorate and paint and ta-da you have a house. There are many design meetings, different iterations to test through, snags that can be hit, more design meetings, etc.

1 Like

That answered my question pretty much :wink:
It gives me a feeling, for what you expect.

Basically I understand, expectation is no further wipe out soon.
But of course noone cannot say for sure.

Absolutely okay to me. That motivates me, to collect a bit more then currently necessary to try out current features. And if new come by update without wipe, I will use my goods to go on.

of course. It’s always the same with things under developement and in research. The plan changes. But people usually have expectations!
In a project (what Boundless for James and the team clearly is) you always have kind of schedule, so there are many things planned of course. And I guess server resets are also implemented, as far as they are expected of course! If you don’t have clear schedules, well that’s kind of death for every project. Especially if there are financial supporters in background.
However, I don’t want to discuss project and investment management here… but it sounded a bit, developing the game is watching in a glas ball and my question is bit out of place, what it was probably not.

1 Like

Agreed. But we’ve already seen on these forums many times where things can change and that’s all I’m pointing out. James does a good job of saying things like “we AIM to get this out in two weeks” or “we’re TRYING to get this out by the end of the month”. He uses specific language that prevents people from thinking “oh, this is definitely coming out on X day”.

My advice for you, @Smoothy, is to follow his weekly updates, take a look at what he says is upcoming, and just think about whether or not it’ll require a wipe of the world. For example, adding a few recipes probably wouldn’t. Adding new resource regen logic probably would. That will probably be the best way for you to plan, going forward.

2 Likes

If i press esc for inventory, then press q for quickbars and leftclick in the top square in left wheel when its empty, it crash game.

Putted an item in it and removed it again, now it work fine…

1 Like

True, …but personally I would go bigger then I think is needed to give myself a safety net, wilderness is good. Although for beginning world’s I guess a smaller more controlled environment is fine.

As there is no open pvp on all worlds, the possibility to set beacons and a regeneration of the world outside of beacons there is no need for “safety” … Also, the game will be focused on community mechanics like trade and shared efforts on crafting, so being all alone is a possible but not always good decision :wink:

Hissssss * Hides in his cave *

Yeah I understand. It’s just nice to have wilderness if you want it. If you don’t great, but you know.

Too much wilderness is depressing though. But, the wild frontier can also be exiting. Particularly if there is stuff to find. So I see both sides.

1 Like

im sure there is plenty to explore, and it wont limit to only 1 world, also the player progression will be one adventure it self from many.

Hmmm. Player progression.