Testing 22: Warps, Planets, and more!

You always Warp (1 directional doorways) to the location explicitly defined by the Location Marker. So if you want to travel back to your home on another world then make sure you have a location marker for that destination. When you create a location marker with the totem on a planet in the sky - we send you to the exact point you picked on the planet.

1 Like

do warps work 2 ways later on or they always work only 1 way when the game releases?

It was described in this devlog: Weekly Dev Update: 2016 September 16th - Worlds, Warps, Golf, and more

Warps are 1 way - “go somewhere only”
Portals are 2 way - “go and return somewhere”

You need to Warp somewhere new, before you can build a more permanent Portal back.

3 Likes

how power cores work? when i place coal in it it starts to produce sparks but how do i collect them?

1 Like

You need to connect the power core to a machine with a pipe.

1 Like

alright thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

i see, warps are different from portals. now it makes sense :laughing:

2 Likes

proposal:

since we have “smart stack” now, you could also visualize several stacks on a shelf i.e.
Seems there is enough space to visualize more then one object.

2 Likes

you can find it in flowers

When world maps are projected onto planets/moons - what sort of projection is used? And do specific edges/points map to the poles (z0?)

Mainly, I’m curious how I would want to set up biomes to have ice caps, etc.

The worlds are square, and so are their textures and it’s not possible to have ice ‘caps’ per say.

To make it look like a sphere, the square is first pinched into a circle shape (more strongly towards the edges to avoid obvious ‘edges’ on the diagonals where the distortion is strongest) and then warped to make it look like a sphere rather than a circle, and finally uv-scrolled to ‘rotate’ the planet.

(visualisation of a 20x20 square tiled planet texture going through the uv-operation)

You can make your world have ice biomes running across the middle of the world lets say ( a strip on the square) and depending on how the uv-rotation is set at that particular time it may look like a strip across the middle of the planet, or it may look like a pair of ice caps at the top and bottom.

The uv rotation is in both axes (we don’t bother with an additional third axis spin) so that no part of the world is more ‘prominent’ than others, at some point every part of the world will be at the ‘centre’

6 Likes

when are randomly generated structures going to come out

1 Like

As far as I know, there won’t be any randomly generated structures… but both the community and devs have been creating prefabricated structures (prefabs) which can be randomly placed on worlds and within specific biomes.

1 Like

I’m afraid that no one knows when those will be released but I don’t think that they’ll come anytime soon as the developers are probably busy with fixing bugs and making creatures in the near future…

@Stretchious

Suggests otherwise.
Anyhow, I think he’s talking about randomly generated structures like the Temples & Titans that have been mentioned.

1 Like

I’d say that bold text just defines what prefabs are not to be used for, and is not a definitive statement as to what is coming in the future :wink:

Ah yes, I’d forgotten that they were going to be randomly generated! My mistake!

The sky box and the new tree model’s look really nice.

before titan/temples comes there will most likely be updates for progression/skills and weapons, majority enemy’s and loot system and many more

when will the game hit launch

https://forum.playboundless.com/t/q-when-will-boundless-be-released-on-pc-and-ps4/4950

1 Like