Testing 249 Can't create a world

Created a universe just fine.
But every time I would try to create a world, the universe would close and I’d get:
[ERROR] Failed to assign to process job

Join the universe again and click create world, universe close and same error message. After multiple attempts I just gave up.

When trying to return to the live universe, I got a message about needing an update. So exit and started the update. Update paused. Start again. Pauses again.
Restart steam. Still won’t update.
Try to join the game, get an error message about Boundless.exe not working.

So I had to uninstall the game. Now in the process of reinstalling…

What was the outcome of this?

I kept getting the error, over and over again. And when I finally gave up, I tried to return to the live game. Went to steam and switched back from testing. It hung on trying to patch. Every time I restarted the patch, it would pause.
After restarting steam, and restarting my computer, I gave up.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I may try again. Next time I’ll take a screenshot and post it.

Could this be a space issue on the C: drive?

At the moment, I have 378 GB of free space on the HDD.

1 Like

Ok, definitely not that then!

There is another possibility. My computer may not have enough processing power.
I’m on and old Dell 560 desktop (2008). It has a Pentium E5700 dual core 3.0 Ghz processor.

Can you just state if you have not modified any files prior to this and where you have everything installed and on what drives? There may be something about your system setup causing the issue.

modified files? nah. Though I do run the steam “verify integrity of game files” about once a month. I have the game installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Boundless
Since I uninstalled the game and did a clean install, I’m gonna give it another try.
The original install was from June 5th 2019. Probably doesn’t make a difference.

The 2nd pic is what happens when I click on “create world”.

On the plus side, I was able to go to one of the test(?) worlds, Dand. Got to try out swords and shields, which was what I wanted to do from the start.

Can you share the client game log?

Are you running any Antivirus or Firewall that might restrict the process starting?

Can you provide the exact details of the operating system you’re running?

Could this be the issue…?

If it’s using all the cores minus 2, does this mean that it’s trying to use 0 cores on a dual core system?

2 Likes

AVG Free Antivirus. Windows Firewall.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Pentium E5700 @ 3.00GHz: 41 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology

RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-15)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 018D1Y (CPU 1): 36 °C

Graphics
LCD TV (1280x720@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (MSI): 44 °C

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA ): 32 °C

Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H653A ATA Device

Audio
High Definition Audio Device

its “max(#cores - 2, 3)” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It could be an issue with Windows 7. Anyone else on windows 7 that has been able to use the local universe stuff?

Yes; more investigation is a Windows 7 limitation on how the processes are set up. We create job objects which ensure if a parent process exits the childs will exit also; in this case a nested set of job objects with the discovery/universe servers run in a job object that is shared with the client so if the client exits the discovery servers will exit too. Each discovery server is responsible for running the generator and world servers for its universe and equally has a job object so if the discovery server crashes the generator/world-servers will exit… which isnt supported in Windows 7.

I will have to do something else to try and emulate the behaviour for window 7.

1 Like

Thank you for all that you do.
Btw, I love the swords. Getting the timing right on the shields takes a bit of getting used to. But even a wood shield against a spitter for a new character really helps.

1 Like