Testing 26: Compass, Robustness and more!

This update is accessible via the Steam Beta “Testing” release of Boundless.

The release will be accessible as “Testing” until the end of the week, whilst we resolve issues with the playing community. When this additional polish is complete the release will be promoted to Steam “Live” for all players.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Release Notes:

• Art:
    • Adjusted stone and metal crucible textures to better support tinting, assigned correct tints to Iron and Titanium crucibles.
    • Warp blocks now have a less confusing label on their textures. Don’t worry though, it’s still a placeholder asset.
  • Crafting:
    • Fixed bug where the machines do not produce wear.
    • Fixed bug where broken blocks would always drop items with the world’s default color rather than the block’s color.
  • Creatures:
    • Fixed a bug with creature spawning where creatures are not spawned fairly between players.
  • Trading:
    • Changed the trading flow to add trading requests.
  • HUD + GUI:
    • Added a compass to the HUD which tracks other players and beacons.
    • Added grapple control text.
    • Added pop-up when the player exits the game.
    • Added word damage in the message shown when the player takes damage.
    • Change Smart Stack controls: now left click picks up, right click opens stack.
    • Count the total number of items available for a recipe, not just until there is a sufficent amount to be able to craft the item.
    • Fixed the message shown to the player when picks an item.
    • Removed the worlds menu. Players should now always join on the same world they were on when they left the game.
    • Reversed the amount needed and amount have in the recipe pop-up.
  • Server:
    • Player data and inventory shouldn’t be lost when a server crashes (on restart the data is recovered).
  • Worldbuilder:
    • Config path changed to be relative to the Documents folder for the user rather than the Application folder, for MacOS this will be ~/Documents/boundless/ and for Windows C:\Users.…\Documents\boundless. Users with existing configs should copy their old config files to the new location, preferably before updating the world builder, but not critical.

Known Issues:

The following items are known issues in this release.

• Some items in player hands in 3rd person view are huge (e.g. Power Core).
  • Some of the items are not positioned in the hand correctly when the players are seen in 3rd person view.
  • Some of the items displayed in the inventory screen are not positioned correctly.
  • Sometimes the animation for left handed tools do not swing continuously.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.
13 Likes

Woo, thanks! That should clear up a bunch of confusion for people

Heh, reminds me of a bug back in the original Asheron’s Call where the devs used a hash of the player’s id as a component in threat tables (to tie break). Due to poor math, some players would end up being pretty much at the top of the threat table for most mobs, even if they were just wandering by :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to be able to highlight a particular point on my compass to make it easier to follow it. For example, if I want to locate a node of resources I marked earlier.

6 Likes

Another suggestion I have (and this can come post 1.0) is to allow us to create our own “folders” or some other way of grouping and easily organizing our saved locations. Otherwise it’s going to become a mess as we play more.

5 Likes

Yeesh, can we start a hate thread so they stop being so good to us, I mean seriously, what did we do to deserve this game?

.-. when did the compass get updated? I dont remember seeing the steam update.

the update took me about 5 seconds to download. It was very fast.

I remember seeing it update, but I thought it was just steam doing the “usual” I love the compass tho, so helpfull, now we dont need the coordinates that much.

if there’s shops inside a beacon, the color should be green or have a different icon so you know it has shops.

There used to be an option you could switch on and off to see people beacon’s. I think it’d be nice to have that back and have the ability to name individual beacons. You could do things such as “Clexarews’ Tool Shed” or “Meowmere’s Ore or Less”, etc. And then people could see those at a distance if they wanted to.

3 Likes

By the looks of it people will have the option to change the name of their own beacons (looking at the beacon control menu).

Meowmeres Ore or less, thank you mate. Idea thievery is the best!

I may have leads on the some items dont swing continuously: if you look down and hammer (or other tools) with the left hand it will not swing.

I think they know about that one.

yeah i know, I just figured out how to replicate it sometimes.

Wow the floating Islands