(Testing) food for new players

I am a little concerned about how new players are going to find food to start. My example is the test world Havran I. Since the starberries are not coming from foliage and do not appear to be on any of the bushes around where I landed, I need to find them in trees. The ancient trees are very much like a pole and have no starberries. The other trees nearby are very tall. They do have the star berry plants but without a grapple you are not going to be harvesting them. I would not expect a truely new player to have a grapple so will they not be able to find food? Will they not be able to even find the seeds to try and grow food?

There may need to be some adjustment to where starberries will grow to address this. A planet in the real universe where this might be a problem is Trior. If a new player came down near the really tall trees and starberries really do not grow on bushes then they would have a very difficult time or starve.

3 Likes

Did you check how tutorial tips are? Are they updated

Did you look for the Earthyam plants?

It did tell me to look for food, but I had already cheated and given myself cooked meat, so I did not follow the tutorial through at that point.

No I did not. I gathered a few plants and all I got were leaves as drops but as far as if one was a earthyam plant, I do not remember seeing any but was not looking for them.

1 Like

From my testing the Earthyam plants always give you 1 Earthyam and 1 bulb, depending on the availability that should be enough to keep noobies alive.

I will be testing new player experience aswell. Ill report my own notices here if thats ok

Fine with me. I may also go look for earthyam plants around the area like @redlegdaddy suggested.

1 Like

@redlegdaddy has it right. Look for the yellow earthyram plants ( i think they call them Tuberplants now)
There are plenty around my test place :+1::+1:

1 Like

I found some of the new tuber plants, 10 in 5 minutes. I did cheat and use an Atlas to get started to make sure I was looking for the right thing. It just so happens there is a lot of tall grass round where I landed so it is a little more difficult to pick them out. If I was a new player not sure I would not have found it all a little frustrating.

If I was doing this to get seeds for a farm I would find it very frustrating.

Edited for the times. I needed to remove the time to get the atlas working and getting the initial stuff ready to go look

I dunno. I was on testing, I followed the tutorial. I had no problem finding Starberry Vines and Tuber Plants and did not starve. In fact, I did not find the experience any different than before, except you have to click on different graphics to get what you need.

Collecting enough Earthyam Bulbs to plant a double row was no harder than most of the other newbie tasks, like the one requiring you to break boulders.

I think things tend to live up to or down to your expectations. If you’re looking for failure, your’re darn well going to find it somewhere even if you have to turn a blind eye to all the successes along the way.

I found starberry plants but they were in trees so tall you needed a grapple to get them. So that is really not an option for a new player as I said. I do not think they were rare, I just think they were in accessible. As for the new tuber plant, they are around but hard to spot in an area with tall grass.

I really do not appreciate the implication. I have not said there are some fanboys that will never see any issues with what the developers do. And isn’t the entire point to testing to try and identify issues? If not they why test at all?

So the Foliage on those trees was accessible for a beginner to break to get Starberries, but the Starberry Vines dangling below them was not?

Yes I should have show a pic.

it is hard to see but there really are starberries in the trees but they have to be a few plots off the ground. Therefore inaccessible without a grapple. There are bushes so the beginner can get foliage for beacon fuel and to meet objectives but not for food. since the bushes do not seem to have starberries. Which makes sense as they could not hang down from a bush.

1 Like