[Testing] Texture reflections, are they final?

Are all the materials their final versions? Some materials are going to change in the next patch, a lot. Like marble and iron. Marble looks like a liquid at some angles, and iron is going to get a lot darker. Some items look like they’ve been covered in varnish all over, like tallow.

That’s pure white and black marble in the video.

3 Likes

please dont let this go live like this. this is why people hate refined meta rock it is so shiney it looks silly please dont ruin marble for us

1 Like

The marble le in the second video seems to me a cool ice wall!
Thanks for share @Mayumichi

1 Like

Yep please do not mess with marble and iron to much devs
Thanks for the other things they are amazing but
Marble and iron did not come out right

They said in the patch notes the lighting is not the final stage as it will be on release.

2 Likes

Think they said these are not final settings they will adjust it. Gotta start somewhere

1 Like

For reference, once more, it’s easily missed since it’s such a big post and a lot to take in:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope one of those includes the specularity, since day/night cycle doesn’t change it, the model itself is ok and marble isn’t a light source.

Also does

Some models still need to be updated to take into account the darkening effect of the surfaces that were unnaturally brightened by the old specular presentation

mean that the new colour is the natural one and will stay, and the one on live is unnaturally bright?

Guess we’ll have to wait till they inform us that the model etc updates are ready. Just hope white marble doesn’t turn out as grey and reflective as here.

2 Likes

If there wouldn’t be description about 2nd video, I would have thought that walls are made from ice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am sure it will get fixed and it won’t change the look of how they look now. So many of us has asked for the refined rock to get fixed so I would assume they wouldn’t do something counter productive like that.

New material rendering and lighting is still a WIP.

We’ve already updated the shaders, but some of the textures still need updating. We can vary the “shininess” of the materials independently. Some can be super shiny some can be dull. Marble does look extra shiny there - which I don’t think is deliberate.

Heck, we could even allow players to craft “shiny marble”, “marble”, and “matt marble” if we wanted to give players full creative control. We could do this for many blocks.

25 Likes

I don’t think anyone says no to more blocks… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

i think this would be the best approach, but make sure it keeps its seamless appearance.

1 Like

This could be good use for transformation chisel if shiny and matt would be thing for those luxury blocks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

See I am loving how the new shaders work with the Worlds, I hope you don’t dial back too far. Just fix the reflectiveness on some stuff haha.

The marble always bothered me. It reminded me of when I came out of the grocery store and had a ding in my 69 mustangs door. If you look at the marble you see that indentation and I dont care for it,and dont see why its there,

1 Like

yeah i agree, I have a 6x6 plot build where the base material is white marble i demand a refund for another color if it ends up looking purpley grey like that. that is awful.

there are probably 8 or more smart stacks of white marble in that build. that is a lot of materials to just write off if you guys decide to change the color that drastically. @james

Polish chisel to adjust glossiness? :poland:

1 Like

Do it! …after we get our crafting menu text filter/search bar though.

2 Likes

this would be utterly amazing…
Would really allow builds to differentiate with others in subtle but meaningful ways and allow for some really creative and individual control over the look of a build.
Being able to tone down the shine on refined lustrous wood for example.

no backsies!!

2 Likes