The Annoying Tax Epic :D

Hi all!

I did search this and many topics came up - none that provided a clear and definite answer. I have 1 character and it seems like if i visit my shop using a skill set without the tax epic, the tax rate goes back to 10%. How did I know? I had 1 item purchased from the shop stand and the only coins in the stand had 10% off the price and not 7.5%. This is an unnecessary hassle because i already invested the skill points in one of my pages and its the very same character that i am visiting with - not even an alt. I use my shop as a little portal hub and every time i have to pass by it, i go back to the house (home beacon) to change skill page or I totally change route in order to avoid passing by the shop. Changing skill sets every 15 mins doesn’t help because once i change the skill set to pass by the shop, i can’t change it again to my mining page to go on with my mining trip. So it’s either pass by the shop and remain there or go mine using a different route. Excuse the wall of text but i wanted to make it clear why it’s a hassle :smiley:.

Edit: Reading this again, I honestly dont know what i am expecting (an answer or some sympathy or a change from the devs haha so anyway here it is, people!).

3 Likes

Literally made an alt just to handle this. It’s annoying as hell and has always been like that, well since PS4 release.

2 Likes

So it seems more of a UI bug than anything- I have only two characters.

My main, who does all the heavy lifting (5 skill pages with hunting/gathering/building) and my alt who does crafting/Forging.

Both of my alts skill pages keep the Tax Epic. That way he also functions at all times as my shopkeeper, regardless of the page I log out on. All my shop stands are owned by my alt. This is because to get the 7.5% the shop stands must be in a beacon of a character with the tax epic active.

If I visit my shop with my main, who does not have the Tax Epic, then it displays 10%. Hence why I think it is simply a UI bug.

I dont think it is. As mentioned previously, the coins of the item sold had 10% off the price and i have 1 character only so theres no way i couldve visited the beacon with a different character. I do have a friend with perms though. Idk if that makes a difference.

Fairly certain a dev said way back in October that thatbis how it works and the proper skill sheet needs to be up otherwise you’re not getting the benefits of the skill.

I’m gonna try to search for that link but maybe one of them will answer to give definitive proof.

I coulda sworn James has made a post but I’m still not finding it, there was this bit of info which I never knew.

1 Like

Well in the case you originally mentioned yes- its because you didn’t have the skill page with the tax epic active at the time of the purchase, hence 10% taken off the price. I guess I was more stating how I, personally, understand the entire system and how I circumvent it. (and noting that my main reads 10% tax on my alts shop stands despite my alt having the tax epic active at all times, which is where I mean there seems to be a UI bug.)

First time i’ve heard it put this way. I’m fully under the impression that the setting you had on your shop owner character during your last visit to the chunk sets the setting, regardless of the time of any purchase.

Meh, I’ve never tried to use this skill so just sharing what I was told.

1. this used to be a display bug, they finally solved this a couple patches ago
  2. what he describes is what always has happened, visit with a skillsheet active that doesn’t have it and it goes back to 10%, it’s the reason why I and others have an alt especially for this…
1 Like

This is quite possible as I am going off of normal play experience as opposed to any scientific experiment.

It IS how it works…

Well as far as I know what you’re doing is the only reasonable way to assure that your stands stay tax-reduced.

I have a shop on my actual base. There are too many questions and the tax isn’t that much I’ve never even tried to use it.

1 Like

Doesn’t the tax epic description specifically say something like “you have to re-visit your beacons to apply the skill effects”. Works in reverse too, have to make a shop alt to work around it.

1 Like

:+1:

10 chars

The whole skill page system is a huge mess in this game.

I fully understand why they don’t want us to have all talents on a hunter. I absolutely love how different the game plays if you have hunter skills (you can kill everything but no stealth, which means you have to kill everything) or builder or gatherer skills (with stealth you can pet cuttles if you like, but if they see you you’re dead). That’s the awesome part and is very well done.

The bad part is there is stuff in there that shouldn’t be there.

Why do we have a tax epic? It’s just confusing, non intuitive, complicated and annoying. If you want to add talents for shop keepers, they should add a new skill page that’s always active in addition to your normal skill page. This page would, of course, only have shop keeper talents that are useless while hunting or mining.

Same goes for portal opening epic or portal distance. What a stupid talent. Nobody is going to say… yeah, I might not take the damage epic on my hunter because I’m going to open a portal once in a blue moon. Everybody is going to use an alt for opening portals anyway. Just move this talent to the above mentioned sixth skill page or get rid of it. We won’t shed a tear.

What about the stupid exclusive crafting epics? Serious, we need 5 different skill sets to cover all our crafting needs. And we can have 5 skill pages. And we can swap freely in our home beacon. And normally, our crafter… stays in the home beacon. These epics should not be exclusive! And you should be able to level all crafting skills in a single page because… we’re going to have them all anyway. You’re just making the game less fun without limiting us! Either limit us (please don’t) or make it convenient. Don’t limit us with inconvenience!

Why do we have these dumb atmosphere resistances? They just make it a very bad idea to move your base to a level 4, 5 or 6 planet because we would have to skill them on all 5 skill pages of our crafter. if that’s the goal, fine. Otherwise… move them to the above mentioned 6th page. This will still prevent new players from stepping on a world they shouldn’t but won’t annoy us.

Basically, if talents limit the power of our character they are fine. Buf if a talent doesn’t limit our power and is just circumvented by using an alternative skill page or an alt you should find a better way to handle that.

2 Likes

What I hate about the tax epic is that it takes money (coins) from us and some players struggle enough to get coins without losing them to taxes that doesn’t help the economy any.

It would be different if it was a way to help the devs with the game, it doesn’t. All it does is take coins out of my pocket and gives me less to spend. I don’t make much so don’t lose much, and many would go that those who have big shops make a lot of coins so don’t lose much as they get a lot and will have the tax epic. Yes, I can agree, to some extent.

They have to switch from alts, and when you have one for building to work on your market, mall or other large area that others have shops in it can be frustrating and time consuming to constantly change from one alt to the next.

My main girl is right now both hunter and shop owner. I had her being it all before I started my shop and didn’t think ahead. Now that the beacons are in her name I don’t think I can switch my shops to my alt, and which one? One shop sells food items (G. Mall, “Making Great Things”) and the other forging mats, the compounds, gums, pastes, solvents and other (it is at @AeneaGames Nova Golda Market), “Making Things Great” (head is fuzzy, I think that is the name, sad I can’t remember it, stupid meds), I think my prices are fair. I don’t have a wide variety but do try to add what others use.

Anyhow, I had to take the tax epic off to have the points for the protection of my girl as she gathers and hunts on the higher level planets. My alt who does the cooking is becoming my gather but she needs them for the protection also, I have to have the protection from the critters and to be able to get to the higher level planets, my second alt is strictly for forging, he will almost never leave the planet and won’t ever to go level 3 and up I don’t really want to have to change everything into his name. Ironically, my main girl second page is set up strictly for gathering and there is no room for the tax epic on it.

I wish it would be removed, I don’t see how it can serve a purpose as no one gains from it and anyone who sales items loses from it.