The fossil bottleneck is breaking my willpower

The fact that my first decent hammer (copper) is rate-limited by a rare component is incredibly frustrating. I burned through 6 hammers mining, and found 2 fossils. Now it’s back to stone, which makes me want to either not play, or slit my wrist.

I have literally hundreds of copper ore – either the small fossils should extract more, or it should be reserved as a component for the higher metals and removed for copper.

4 Likes

you can collect some from me if ya like
come find me ingame lateron :smile:

2 Likes

Fossil is a strange thing. Its super rare early game and abundant late game.
Because you need more at the start (tools have less durability and break more) and find less on starter planets.
You need less late game (tools have way more durability) and you find more (large fossils on ring worlds yield 10 extract).
Nowadays I end up selling most of my fossils.

5 Likes

Time for your first star travel :slight_smile: Warp to moon from your home planet, bring campfire, beacon, some beacon fuel, workbench, a few hammers, grapple (a must). When you’re aiming with totem for landing point, try to hit mountainous area, when you land try to avoid local wildlife, they’d probably annihilate you. Find some caves that have an entrance on surface of mountain and go explore, you’ll find tons of fossils. Setup your campfire/beacon in some cave and from than on you can always warp between home and beacon on another planet to get some fossils or ores.
It’s also fun to explore other planets.

One tip, don’t dig for fossils, you’ll find areas in caves that have fossils on walls as much as you need. Digging through mountains is not the best way to get fossils.

5 Likes

Also of note, if you plan on crating at all, grab Bulk and then Mass crafting,. It will save you a huge amount of resources in the long run.

An example using Fossils -> Extracts:

Method – Fossils required = Extracts produced
Single: 1 = 1
Bulk: 4 = 5
Mass: 18 = 25

So instead of 1 fossil getting you 1 extract, when you use Mass Prod., 18 fossils get you 25 extracts.

This pays off (on everything), but for instance, on your copper hammer production:

Method: Fossil Extracts required = Tools Crafted
Single: 1 = 1
Bulk: 3 = 3
Mass: 8 = 10

Also, @the-moebius already mentioned giving some extracts to get you started, but if he’s not around when you’re next on, and you see me in-game or on Discord, you can shout at me and i’ll toss you a few also.

Discord: stormsoul#0995
Forums (here): @Stormsoul

4 Likes

Thanks for the hookup offers everyone. Moebius already tried to hook me up with metal tools, I’m avoiding handouts to get a real feeling of the game and progression.

I will start working on getting to the moon, however.

Regards,
Brain

4 Likes

How do you warp to a moon?

1 Like

you need to craft warp crystal - totem upgrade, than you place it on totem (drag it on top of it in inventory). After that you point and shoot with a click while holding totem in hand.
After that you’ll have that landing location recorded in your places menu. Than craft warp conduits and place as much as needed for opening warp to that location. You place one on top of the other and than interact, there you’ll get places menu and you can choose location you previously chosen with totem.

oh lol sorry bout that usally people like that
i wont give you stuff again hahahah
love your way off playing the game :smile:

1 Like

I’ve recently started a new char leveled up to 25, to see how game is going now. It’s pretty nice if you don’t use anything from alts :smiley:

What I did in the beginning was go to the Market and buy 99 fossil extracts, it only cost me about 500 coins and that set me up nicely until i was mining plenty by myself. This is not considered a handout or cheat as economy is as vital a tool in this game as a hammer is.

4 Likes

yeah, that’s cool too :slight_smile: Not everyone is into all aspects of the gameplay, that’s what’s awesome about mmo you can always find someone to help out or trade goods or services.

3 Likes

Yes mass craft bulk level (most you can make) everything you can. It is worth it in the long run. Over the term of the game you will use a lot of those things anyway…

2 Likes

yeah easily the must have skill if any :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve got mass craft now. I just need to collect some fossils. My one trip to Vulpto… did not end well.

1 Like

Do the conduits need a spark core, or just a bunch of spark?

The other planets can be daunting at first - but you’ll get used to surviving there quickly.

Actually you don’t really need to go to a moon right away. Go into the desert on a starter planet with a torch and some hammers and go find the cave systems. Spend some time walking around in them and you can usually find a decent enough to start. You won’t get the same multiple drops per instance like you do in a moon but usually just walking around in those desert caves are what helped me out a lot.

Vulpto is a Ring-World, it’s Lv. 3. You need Epsilo, Septerfon, Andooweem or Elopor if you want Moons (Lv. 2)

3 Likes

You could also hunt wildstock on Septerfon - they occasionally drop fossils too

2 Likes