The new lighting system: my dark view

I feel you man all of Hearth Guard is based on lanterns in trees and bioluminescence and that dream died with this update im beyond heart broken that 800 hours of work has been basically ruined.

1 Like

im sure it will get worked on but given the epic grindy nature of things im not looking forward to the proposed fix for this… I really want to see a beacon option to change all light sources luminosity levels within said beacon instead of having to run around and whack every single piece of shiny we have with stuff I have to forge.

1 Like

That actually sounds kind of good, but I think the chance of that happening is 0 unfortunately. :confused:

UPDATE after two hotfixes:

BEFORE lighting update (pre-225):

IMMEDIATELY AFTER lighting update (225):

CURRENTLY as of 7-20-19 (225.2):

Ok, I don’t know if it’s a fluke or part of the mesh lighting fix, but things actually seem to look a bit better now.

Lighting sources still look very blurry and washed out and I think that’s related to bloom, I guess I can turn that off, but everything looks a bit more lit up and less pitch black now.

Lighting sources like torches and light emitting tools with glow seem to be giving off a bit more light. (Not so much gleam though.)

I tried the darkness slider and can’t really say I see much of a difference, but oh well, wasn’t really expecting much from that.

Anyway, it’s currently looking better as you can see from the screenshots!

I can actually tell the detail of the black bricks and black marble!

Again, idk if I’m going crazy here or if it’s actually better lol

studies screenshots Yep, looks much better already.

2 Likes

I do agree that they need to brighten tgings up a tinge

Hi all, I don’t want to make this a post bashing the game or the dev’s as I think both are great, especially in the case of the dev’s as these guys have to be among the most active of any i’ve had the good fortune to come across in any game i’ve played. Got an idea, they try to get it ingame. Got a problem, James is there to get it fixed.

With all this said, I love the new richness of colours and improved realism of blocks but I have to say this lighting is still way off the mark.

Several of the builds I have are now too dark and I am reluctant to start pulling them to pieces until the Devs say they have finished messing with said colour and lighting changes. The ‘slider’ whilst a good idea, I am finding to be a rather impractical solution also. If I crank it upto +4 so I can see a little better while out hunting at night, Im faced with too much brightness/washed out colours and buildings in the daylight (the lighting previous to the changes worked well in day and night for me by the way). So I tend to keep it back at its original 0 but now being out at night is a wall of blackness…far from ideal when you got angry livestock charging around. you might even say…well add the lighting epic or add glow to your grapple…or other held items… the simple answer is why should I… everything functioned as intended before the changes. Seems to me that if put back to how they were lighting wise that a great deal of the problems would be solved.

Meanwhile even at the maximum value of +4 the previously mentioned bases/builds are still very dark and not at all looking how they did before or as they were originally built and intended to look.

I know Im not alone here and a good many of us await the dev teams fix for this but surely it would be better to revert the things like gleam lighting back to their previous incarnation where we had a bright and consistant lighting source as the default and give others the choice to vary gleam lighting levels as an option (not the other way around). Would this not correct most of the legacy builds that are currently plagued with a total lack of lighting?
It seems with things like the lighting balance that they are adding a bandaid to cover the wound rather than heal it by just reverting how the light worked pre update. This new ‘;bandaid’ of darkness slider does not work for me at least and a good many others ive spoken to, some of which do not frequent the forums to give their opinion.

Anyway, this is where me and others I know are at right now…stuck in a world we are reluctant to build in, one thats rich in colour but perpetually dark unless we wash out a good deal of colour with a slider that also in some situations makes the day blindingly bright too

1 Like

not commenting on other things, but to clarify the new ‘slider’ doesnt effect day time at all. The slider controls the minimum amount of scene luminance the auto-exposure balance will adjust for at the dark end of the scale, it’s not a brightness slider and when it’s a bright day the scene luminance is far far higher and the slider literally has no effect there.

1 Like

Thank you for coming back and clarifying the actual function of it for us so quick. I can only guess that when I tried it I got unlucky as I came up into the light after turning it to +4 and was blinded by the sheer amount of light. I will give that side of things another try and see how I get on but the other points I made I stand by. Even with the current tweaks the insides of the bases are still vastly darker than before so I eagerly await your fix for this

1 Like

You most likely used a gleam colour which now has a lower luminosity. I had to change most of my lighting to get decent range out of my gleam.

I used white gleam(little over 200 gleam) with white wicker floor and oxide grey walls in my hub(2plotsx3plots) and was too dark still. Now the hubs been rebuilt outside with cool grey marble floor white brick and white gleam lanterns. It’s good now. But honestly I shouldn’t have had to change it before.

Also thanks to @Ratchel for the new hub.

1 Like

Any update on the lighting situation and if or when we might reasonably expect to see it corrected?

1 Like

Alright I have not even gotten half way through and so far, a lot of the same deal between people. I for one, do not entirely agree. Yes, it is a little (maybe medium) darker than I would like, but I DO love how my darker colors actually look as they should. Black refined/decorative/mosaic/marble/etc. often did not look black at all, unless in an enclosed space or if it is dark. Refined stone looked more purple than anything.

As for where I agree… So far, my builds that are not enclosed but “overshadowing” certainly do not look the same. I have a black “body” in the air, and you cannot see any of the chiseled detail, even in daytime. The part beneath it looks more dull due to not being directly in the natural sunlight. I stopped trying for now.

I forgot to mention… Turning the Dark Balance to +4 really did help. Can that be configured to a higher degree?

Not sure if this is totally on topic…maybe its just me but, for some reason I think night time comes way more often and lasts way longer than before. It could be that as it never got really dark it just seemed to be longer days.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

I hope the devs see this and keep making adjustements in the next update, because there’s still work to be done.

With all the gleam around the place, you can barely tell what blocks are on the right side of this storage, wall, and for comparison, I put one of those blocks out.
GleamLights-Storage-Too-Dark_Zoom
On the left, a zoomed-out block from the storage. On the right, well, I think you got it.

Wow I thought the right side of the storage was empty!

this has been bothering me a lot recently. overall I like the changes but there’s definitely a problem with lighting storage/shopstand displays.

placed lanterns are actually making it slightly worse.

I have found that only held light sources or the light epic have made things light well enough to see dark items properly. I made a room with gleam pretty much everywhere and it still looked dark. As soon as I held a torch it lit it up better.

1 Like

It is simply too dark at night.

I’ve got the light epic skill, plus a loot magnet with max light forged on it, and this is what I see at night. I waited until daytime to take the same picture also. It’s too difficult to see to play the game when it’s “night” and I’ve found myself inside with lighting more and more often. I enjoy surface gathering, but not being able to see where I’m going/gathering is becoming a huge frustration and I’m starting to limit my exploration of planets/resources due to this.

I definitely have issues with light, and maybe everyone can see the first screenshot just fine, but it’s almost completely black on the left side.

1 Like

whats that thing in top left corner ?
you could also look at it as it was to clear before and people got used to it
one thing they need to do to help is have shorter nights longer daytime

1 Like