The XP machine: Tedious, but effective

This is silly reductionism. Few people, if any, are asking for things to be handed to them on a plate. This retort really gets on my nerves. I don’t see anyone asking the game to be easy, I see them asking to be less grindy. Difficulty and mindlessly banging your head against a lumber shaped XP wall are not the same thing. I could suggest a number of ways to make this game more challenging, none of them in any way to do with the length of time simple processes take or the amount of effort simple game mechanics take to unlock.

2 Likes

I know what I’m doing tonight!

2 Likes

But that’s what the game IS. It’s like asking for less driving in a racing game. I don’t understand how people missed what this game is. I don’t feel the game is too grindy, perhaps that doesn’t make it so; but that goes both ways. I’m just pulling from past experiences and expectations. If the grind wasn’t the grind, it wouldn’t be the game I thought it was, and not one that would be as fun.

People are asking for things to be easier. Be that through less time spent, or less effort (button presssing, I guess?), they want things faster or with less effort. As grindy game guy, I see everything working as intended. If I was unhappy with the time or effort involved in a game, I would find a new game. I love Boundless.

Perhaps some folks are coming over from MC creative mode?

1 Like

You have a good point.

Again though, some people like the grind. It’s a preference thing.

2 Likes

I mean no offense, and I get that people will complain about a game they love, but all your posts I’ve read (I’m fairly new to the forums), are all complaints and wanting everything changed. You’re clearly free to do what you want with your time, but why do you even play this game? You seem to enjoy not a single aspect of it.

4 Likes

2 reasons. First, waiting till the 18 so I can get paid and buy the new Lego Villains game coming out between now and then. And secondly, cause I WANT to enjoy the game. I saw the concept, and it was a great idea. A blend of Minecraft and No Man’s Sky into an MMO that isn’t RPG Combat or Story Focus. Where the characters are in control.

Having played Face of Mankind back when it was completely free, before they adopted the Free to Play model and ruined the game, I love a game where Roleplaying is important and that the players are in control.

In Face of Mankind, there were many Factions, that each had a role. One faction was the Military, and people who join it, literally treated it like a Military. Doing Drills, learning how to aim and shoot, and even doing events to go fight waves of alien mobs hosted by GMs as the only none playable controlled things in the game.

Meanwhile there was a Faction that was the police force for the different cities. Where you were assigned patrol routes, had to enforce the laws, which were all player created, and so on. Another faction all miners, working on a planet to dig up resources to create the weapons used by the military and police force. While also having a pvp tone to it, by another faction being criminals, looking like normal citizens but doing crimes, taking over planets, and creating anarchy that the military had to constantly fight again, and the Police protected normal citizens from.

I love that kinda experience. The difference between FoM and Boundless tho, was that in FoM, you can just join, create a character, pick a faction and that was it. You spawned with your weapons, and on you go to do what you want, and roleplay how you want in the community.

Boundless tho, is a massive grindfest. I WANT to enjoy it, I’ve seen what it could be like in the future, a happy place where people that want to own shops can just own a shop without needing to grind or craft materials. Where those that want to go mining, can just go out mining, without their tools breaking or running out of resources, or having to go to specific locations on specific planets to find it. Where those that like combat can fight as many mobs as they wants. And those that just want to build, can build, without needing to go get the resources and crafting the stuff themselves.

The issue is, right now currently the only way to live that kinda style, is using coin to buy your way pass the grind. However, you need to grind to get resources to sell. Worse yet, the biggest and most open shops with the most money to buy your resources buy them at horribly low prices, while charge you overprice for the same items. You have to go pretty far out of your way to find obscour shops to get a good deal on buying something, but they aren’t popular, so like you they have very little money, and so can’t support buying any resources you grind as well.

(It’s actually an issue I’m running into right now. I have cheap Iron tools, selling for 100c each, the second lowest I’ve ever seen. 37 axes, shovels and 38 hammers. But they never sell. Even after a week, not a single thing is sold in my shop. No money, I can’t buy rough Oordstone, or whatever it’s called, to get a portal up and running to a shopping hub. Nor request them for less than the 300c each price of the one shop I’ve seen selling them, to get them. The literal only way for me to progress, at this point, is to make a hunter alt and manually going out of my way, myself, to grind meteors to get them.)

People can’t make money off me, I can’t support buy their stuff. And the rich shops that can, exploit it by buying at very low price. Such as the biggest shop I’ve ever seen buying Copper Ore at 3c each and selling at 5c, then buying iron ore at 3c each too, but selling at 10c. Buying Shop Stands and Request Baskets at 200c each, and then selling them back for 500c each.

You have the option to not grind by selling things for coin, to buy stuff you need with that coin. But because of how greedy people are, you grind so much, for so little coin from nearly every shop in the game, that it’s a better option to just keep grinding and manually craft what you need, which might not be how you want to play the game.

This is why on another thread, I wanted Footfall to be used to cut the pay for end game rich players, and used to better support and help lower end players who get caught in this grinding loop, unable to progress very far, especially if they are casuals or don’t have the time and energy to play.

It’s why I complain to make the grind easier overall. Cause the players are already only paying pennies for many hours of hard work, so why not change how much people can progress within those many hours of hard work, to make those pennies into lots of actual usable money.

That is why I complain. I can see to potential, but I can also see the many issues. I want, not just the game, but the devs, the players, the community, and the game itself to be better. I’m more an idealist, I can what it COULD be, and that is what makes me keep logging in, and hoping today is the day something changes and gets better.

Demon/Dark Souls
You’re being a bit hyperbolic. The majority of players didn’t find souls “easy”, skipped grind or went through it all naked after playing one game. You’re describing the best players. Players that put a serious amount of time into the games. Heck, I must have thrown many hundreds of hours into each iteration.
Most did grind to get better, for stats and items.
Sidenote:Demons was the best :slight_smile: Possibly because it was my first and I knew nothing. Learning the ins and outs is a double edged sword.

2 Likes

I love Demon Souls the best for it’s balance of weapons and magic and being able to tackle any world in any order. Whats more, it rarely has any monsters, most enemies are humanoids, so the only version where you can go around backstabbing and parrying nearly every enemy in the game. Meanwhile I love the world design of Dark Souls 1 that was so interconnected, that if you know all the paths, you could go to anywhere in the game, and bypass many bosses to get to whatever weapon you wanted as quickly as possible.

However, I feel you are misunderstanding what I meant in my post by comparing it to Boundless.

Boundless is ALWAYS a grind. It doesn’t matter if your a new player or a very old dedicated player. It doesn’t matter if your in the beginning of the game or at the end, it doesn’t matter how many hours you played, nor how much knowledge about the game or it’s mechanics and features you have. It’s always a horrible grind. The only defining factors, are if you like the grind, don’t like the grind, or don’t care about the grind.

Meanwhile in the Dark Souls series, the more you play, the easier the game is, not just in that one playthrough, but in every other playthrough as well. Not even just in that one game, but all the dark souls games too.

The more you play in Dark Souls, the more you progress, the more easier you’ll find the game as your learning how to beat each of the enemies one by one, killing the bosses playthrough after playthrough, and know the secrets, item locations, and shortcuts are.

Boundless, since you can play it anyway you want, if you choose not to sell your items and instead use them to Craft. Then both in the beginning, and at the end game, you are constantly grinding resources. Over and over. It never gets easier, even with Max Stats, Diamond Forged Tools and the best potions. Because to progress you need more and more resources every single time. Till you hit the end, at which point the grind is the exact same again and again. The game never changes, it never gets easier as you progress, it only feels that way when you jump tiers, from low to mid by going from nothing to having Iron Tools. Then from Mid to End Tier by getting ahold of Forged Gem Tools.

It seems amazing at first, you’re getting a whole lot more resources than before. But very quickly your potions run out. and you need to grind resources to remake them. Then your tools break, and you need more resources to remake them, Your portals run out of Shards, you need more resources to refuel them, your beacon runs out of fuel, you need more resources to remake them, your Machines are breaking down faster that you can repair them, every single Machine has a unique coil, which can only be repaired with a very specific coil, whats more they also have advance coils which gives even more power effeciently, and you can’t craft the repair tools until you have quite a few coils already first. On top of having a Spark Generator, making Spark, which constantly needs to be repaired for quite a lot too, to fuel all your machine’s mid tier items.

You are constantly needing more and more stuff, more and more basic resources, to turn into mid tier resources which uses spark, and then added with coils for power requirements to make the most advance stuff, which unless it’s a decoration block, will eventually need repair or will break if it’s a tool.

No matter the level, there is always grinding, the game NEVER gets easier.

Of course, using coin to skip the grind is an option, if you can A, make a shop that people actually visit and buy stuff from, or B, are will to grind 3 times harder, and get very little reward for such hard work to the pitiful request baskets that will only pay you in pennies for your hard grinded work, which till will just turn around and sell for straight profit, making money off your blood, tears, and work as they laugh at how stupid you are.

This game is hell. In nearly every way of playing there are faults dragging the game down. And the massive grind wall, and shear lack of ways to get money, are the biggest faults for most of it.

You do progress in Boundless and it does get easier and grind does go down, not disappear but certainly improves.
I moaned about the diamond wall, i thought levelling was slow past 30 ish, i thought money was too hard to get, i thought getting diff coloured blocks in enough quantity to build big with was tedious.
None of it is the case now.
I got the diamonds to power my bench. Made my own titanium tools. Made more machines and got loads of experience from my rocks i mined. Got skills maxed and now hunt and gather with proficiency. Have gems coming out the wazoo. My wallet is bursting. I knock trees down with aoe iron axes. I have all the ingredients i need-stacks of shimmer orbs, beans, trophies, all the higher end stuff. I still have 30 adv ruby coils i cant shift and soon a bunch of topaz and saph and emerald too. No footfall needed.

You get better, you learn, you get richer, grind becomes more than manageable. I’m glad it isn’t handed to you.

Alts are available for all to benefit from. If you don’t, you’re handicapping yourself for no good reason.

4 Likes

I’m really digging some parts of this game, and I’ll be swimming in coins soon - had a brilliant idea that actually worked. However, the grind to 50 is the new thorn in my side. With the horrendous Grindy McGrindfest that is reaching lvl 50 I can’t stomach the idea of trying to make level 50 alts at the moment. Yeah, you can craft stones for a bajillion exp but I’m sure they’ll nerf that (even though it takes weeks to mine that much stone) - then what? And yes, I know with a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious hammer you can do it in 30 sec so yah there’s that… but they’ll balance lvls 1-49 around what a lvl 50 might do :frowning:

Mostly I’m just not looking forward to the next nerfs so I’ll just try to get as much enjoyment “as is” with the game for now.

Hate to always be complaining but I :heart::heart::heart:️ Boundless day 1

To be honest, to see that easy leveling with mining in this games is a hit into my face since i have more fun to explore, hunt and gather overground.
I play with my coplayer who loves mining.
I spend same time in game, do all stuff overground, care for the food in our small group, but he is leveling twice fast than me.
Well, i don‘t care to be slow in leveling, since he can care for all tools we need, but to see, how people who don‘t mine much are screwed up by this game is very sad.
Thats not boundless, thats very bounding on mining to get any good progress in this game.

Maybe yours :roll_eyes:

What? You can repair coils even with Iron Spanner, maybe you would know that if you played the game instead of whining…

It does get easier. I had gathered so much resources, that now I occasionally build, but mostly just explore all planets, and I dont grind the resources, I just pick them on the way… either we are playing different games, or I play the game wrong :frowning: I never sell or buy anything… well , and all I did buy is few ruby adv coils, because i had so much from just playing, that I wanted to spend it to get more journal task done. You can play the game ignoring coins, ignoring other players, and still have a great time… but you must want to have a good time, be able to adapt to the game, instead of trying futilely adapt game to you.

You must be masochist if your still playing it :scream:

5 Likes

I do play, but I can’t afford, nor gather the resources to craft, coils. I only know what I’ve seen in a video explaining them to me when I went to look up what the resource Power was and how to get access to it. And in the video, it said each coil had a different color to represent what machine it went to, but also needed a unique gem spanner to repair it. Such as white colored coil for Workbenches and needed a Diamond Spanner, while a Red coil would need a Ruby Spanner.

Turbo Charged Crafting! | Power Coil Introduction | Boundless Testing v187

This is the video, set at the time. While it was a Beta made video from 7 months ago, everything else in the video is the exact same currently, I don’t see why Spanner Repairs would be the only thing changed after release.

They also changed power requirements of some tools, they changed how now coils reduce spark, time etc. If you look at videos from beta, have a courtesy to test if it’s till valid (or at least read all the patch notes after the video was published) before you spread misinformation. Some people may think that what you stated about coils is true.

The fact you were not aware that what you state is not true, does not change the fact it is not true. And since this part of your post looked like stating facts instead of presenting you opinion, how far will I be from truth if I was to call it a blatant lie?

The least you can do when you are so vocal about things, don’t lie about mechanics of the game, double check facts.

4 Likes

We share the same brain.

If you grind something super hard for many hours I don’t see the problem with the huge exp gain

6 Likes

That’s my way of looking at it. You put in the work to get all that rock, why should you be denied the rewards just because it makes a big number flash on the screen?

3 Likes

Hello, I am currently newer, level 21 as of now. Am interested in your method of leveling as well as being a part of the mining that you are trying to set up. I have three people total that would be more than willing to help, I have a level 17 character being built for mining and my 21 is being built for crafting. Would love to help in any way I can.

I think it was nerfed, because i got for ~12 - 14k rocks around 100k exp in the last days, now i got only 40k for the same amount of rocks.

actually… you can eat your food anytime… fill the machines and then log out… cough cough… the buff stays with you when you return to the game with the remaining time…
so load your machines eat your food… log in tomorrow BOOM… rinse and repeat… cough cough…