Thinking about buying, 2-3 questions tho

Its a limit of how many props (meshes), not blocks, you can have in a chunk.

See this.

3 Likes

Also note, that the server you pick decides your starting world but doesnt limit you from going to or settling on amt of the worlds on any server, all players are in the same universe. If you choose not to use other players’ portals then your starti g world will be home for a bit longer, but you can live completely independent if you so wish. If you’re playing with a friend you could cover all skills (though not each have access to all of them)

thanks for the link! so its not really a problem since nowadays i just play grindy games to sink some time in and enjoy myself slowly building up something.

yeah i know. as i said i’ve watched a couple of vods already and am aware of most things already. just some werent really covered by the gameplay.

2 Likes

Well what is the limit? What number of items can you add per chunk? Was that communicated and is there any warning up to that point showing you that you are running out of space?

I would worry about it because there is no guarantee the developers will do anything about it and more likely they won’t because they have a million other things on their plate to do.

Since it affects vertical space you cannot build a multi-floor area. So now you must build huge bases spread out over many plots horizontally and make sure you split that base across a CHUNK so that you don’t risk at some unknown time running into the limit and ruining the whole build because you can’t add another object to it.

So from my perspective it is a HUGE ISSUE.

1 Like

I have to agree with ^. If the game suggest you can build how you like then there shouldnt be a limit. And i dont think they mean for there to be either. Time will tell.

Purposeful addition. The limit is there for performance reasons. Otherwise people could build huge towers of meshed blocks which tear apart your PC whenever you go there. It could ruin a big city like Therka Market.
However, they have said that it can change.

1 Like

Now now ladies lets not get upset on this poor persons forum post, you’re all beautiful calm down.

I personally do not have an issue with the limit, I have 4 of each machine with max power and I have never once thought ‘damn I wish I could put more here.’ Actually I never had the problem. I am sorry that you all do have issues with it and have had difficulties with the mesh limit.

However due to the relevancy of this topic I please ask you all refrain of debating here :slight_smile: dont want to scare away new players now would you? Dont worry we are all nice but we are also very compassionate about our non-voxel blocks!!! :smiley:

6 Likes

Well if you are worried about new players you shouldn’t start your email in a condescending tone and call me a lady when I am a man. Second you shouldn’t have diminished MY concern with YOUR non-problem with a valid issue in the game when you don’t know what my build looks like. That is taking my concern and saying it is nothing at all because you didn’t have the problem. Third, we were not debating.

I was raising an issue with a new player that could affect them which is what we owe them. My exchange showed a VERY important point of people in this community. We have a strong group of FANS that will diminish other people’s concerns with the game because “they don’t have the problem or feel the developers can fix it.” I make a small comment against the game and people swoop in to defend the game and say that the issue is minor.

We have seen this consistently in this game where new people or those having serious concerns are just pushed out by the fan community who see that this game or developers do nothing wrong.

I am not saying you or Will are that “fan” but the response to me wasn’t needed. I wasn’t going to debate or argue Will’s comments. I have a 3 floor small house that is ruined because of this mesh limit even though I don’t have many machines but a small storage area where I have all items in the game. That shouldn’t be ruined because of some new limit. So I have a right to warn a new player of a possible problem especially when my claims are valid and not ridiculous.

Additionally even though I was critical of the game I was honest and fair back to the new person recommending that they try it out if they could afford it. We have to be honest with this game in many of the severe limitations and ways people are being forced to play in a “sandbox” game.

1 Like

The issue with my tone being playful was in reference to everyone here, not specifically to you. YOU are replying to me like THIS which only makes me feel you are responding in a very defensive and hostile tone. I do not mind having opinions but now the original poster is not even commenting, which is why I asked of you to drop the topic as it’s now becoming irrelevant due to your seemingly hostile behavior. :slight_smile:

I was pointing out that I had no issue of this and in fact never encountered the issue before, my ‘condescending tone’ was misunderstood apparently which only proves that you feel some sort of irritation regarding the issue. We are all friends here, and if you wish to speak about this further I suggest making a separate topic about it.

or you can @ me on discord, however this issue is not important to me as stated above I did not even think that this existed and I make quite big builds.

I dont have any issue with you, if you are taking my words too literally I apologize. I dont specifically care about gender nor did I believe it was an insult. :stuck_out_tongue: However if it implies a tone I believe you are misunderstanding. :slight_smile: Anyway I am done with this topic, please if you wish to reply to me again I encourage it’s in a different topic! As it is irrelevant now that he is well informed! :smiley:

2 Likes

As others have commented the limit is there deliberately.

Rendering meshes is significantly more expensive that the normal world voxels. (They’re higher fidelity, they’re often animated, they sometimes have VFX, etc.)

Players often comment - that the game runs great until they enter the Therka market. The Therka market is full of entities (and hence meshes). Which simply makes the game more expensive to render. Apart from this, there is nothing particularly special about the Therka market.

Originally there was no limit to what could be placed. Someone could think it was super funny to fill a chunk with huge numbers of meshes. This could significantly reduce the rendering performance for everyone in the area. (An accidental or deliberate way of ruining the experience for other players - aka griefing.)

We looked at every world chunk in the game and set the mesh limit higher than anything that already existed.

This was introduced to protect the community from a bad experience. We also decided to do it, before we introduce many new meshes for the new doors, fences, poles, beams, etc.

With the limit we have some control over the performance and experience for all players.

This is WHY we added it.

However the good news is that as we spend more time optimising the engine, reducing the cost of rendering dispatch, and add more sophisticated LOD then we will be able to increase the limits.

But I should be clear that ideally there would be no limit. The sandbox should allow whatever players wanted.

26 Likes

@James I completely understand the reason for this and thank you for the explanation in the context of big cities. In smaller builds maybe it needs to be more lax because there isn’t the density of meshes.

I must have been the top person in that “chunk mesh limit” because I literally cannot add anything else after 3 months of not touching the build. I assume because I get the error that the limit is 1 mesh higher than what I have. I only have a minor set of machines and storage to support 1 column (3 storage high) row of each item in the game.

I will do a more thorough post in the suggestions area but I think if at least we had a counter that showed our current mesh number versus the max limit (like you have for plots) it would help tremendously. Additionally some way to identify where a “chunk” starts and ends.

Without this functionality it will be completely impossible for people to even plan builds because they have no idea when or where they will hit this limit. And since it stops building vertically they will only be able to expand horizontally.

1 Like

In the meantime you can check the amount of meshes you have in the debug info under current chunk

2 Likes

another question popped up for us: how does the game handle respawning enemies near your base?

i know that there are different difficulties when it comes to planets, with increasing hostility. there’s also the meteors that can fall randomly and spawn enemies near them. if i have an area set for mself to build in, can a meteor fall near it? or can enemies spawn inside of that area? do those things change on the more hazardous planets?

1 Like

I haven’t had a meteor spawn within a certain distance of my base, but I have aggro’d some enemies that worked their way passed my doors. I haven’t ever had an enemy spawn IN my claimed area, or a meteor destroy my base or anything like that.

1 Like

Hey @Xaldafax.

Could you share or PM me details of the location so I can check it out?

Thanks!

1 Like

I have no problem with limits, as long the quality of the rendering can be improved, large buildings are contextualizing really bad at distance where it just looks messy, that I’m not sure if it is the meshes or not but it doesn’t like things like this without something that kills detail and can make it literally blend with the terrain (as terrain) :stuck_out_tongue:

Meteorites should not be able to spawn any closer than 60M from your settlement, that’s what i’ve heard, but i’ve seen some meteorites land seemingly closer.
With my base, I’ve claimed an entire island so no mobs bother me at all unless I go near the entrance. I still hear meteorites fall every now and then but I never have the mobs from them trickle in while I’m home.
I imagine if you are plotted on regular land that you’d probably have to plot a larger area to prevent mobs from wandering in or spawning nearby as mobs will not spawn in settlements or plotted areas. So if you just plot a house they could spawn directly outside of it.

@TheBacon have you tinkered around with the graphics settings? I think the one you might want to check is called target minimum FPS. If it is set to anything but off, it will constantly change your graphics settings so that you are always at a minimum of 60 FPS (or whatever it’s set to) so that means changing the render distance and quality. I keep mine set to off. It will respect the other settings you’ve made and operate as expected. hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh it’s not the graphic settings, it’s just how the game renders overall, things too big and detailed will not good from afar, and that is unlike Minecraft where it’s the oposite, but i think the thing is more core to the game itself, the terrain quality, etc…

Give us an example then, what building looks bad from where? I have the same problem, but only when I lower the settings to get more fps.

(Assuming I’m understanding you) it is a graphics setting.

As the draw distance increases there is a N^2 increase in the voxel geometry. We wanted to make sure everyone could have a 1km draw distance so that they could always see another build or biome on the horizon - so we created a Level of Detail system for the voxel chunks. This makes the rendering massively more efficient but reduced the visual quality.

There is an option that pushes out these draw distances. Set this to Extreme or Ultimate.

We could offer more options for players who have the bandwidth, video RAM, and CPU to render higher fidelity at a greater range.

12 Likes