This isn't okay

e3 trailer was also made from all player creations. It was a solution that worked for us then.

4 Likes

I think the biggest issue this exposes is the entire you can only warp to nearest planets and it costs more to go further mechanic. Honestly causes people to need to flood planets unnecessarily.

You are correct the way the universe is laid out, a fuel efficient network seems to create hubs with large numbers of portals or natural congestion points. I am not sure what the developers are working on but hopefully this will be addressed in a way that distributes the portals more without creating choke points.

They dont want more direct links between planets the portals are the number one reason there is so much lagā€¦ each portal is consistently connected to that spot in the server and there for every portal that is opened is an issue to begin withā€¦ the more portals means the more peopleā€¦
If you can only fit 4 people in a car why would you put 8 doors on the carā€¦
Does that kinda make senseā€¦

I have a suggestion for the portalsā€¦ I think you should make them interactableā€¦
This way when someone is trying to go through the door they have to ā€œopenā€ it and then wait for the server to say the door is ā€œopenā€ā€¦
Instead of the current waiting in line in the doorway just to watch someone plow through the door youā€™ve been waiting atā€¦
Also make it not possible to interact t
With players going between doorsā€¦
Iā€™ve found the more people pushing and shoving to get through only make it worse for me because of all the interactions that pop upā€¦

I have no issieus with this, but thats because i strongly dislike cities and places where a lot of people gather in games like this. I set up my base solitary on a level 4 planet. This way i can easily go to higher level planets without having to go throgh the bottleneck. And the amound of low level planets is HUGE now, so have those for the picking.

Yeah kind of absurd how many low level planets there areā€¦ I dont think the method should be for every character but every account made in gameā€¦
Lots of people are creating max alts just to stay in tiers 3 places

I think WoW got around this sort of issue by not only segmenting high areas of population (like the cities/hubs) onto other server shards, but also phasing areas. So you dynamically create shards for each 100 players in an area (or more!), and merge the shards back onto a primary one when the traffic reduces. The issue this can cause is that you might not see all people you are expecting to in an area (like friends/guildies etc). So youā€™d have to address that one carefully! - But does give you the ability to let everyone, everywhere, all the time.

2 Likes

Wow does not let you change terrain, terrain and buildings are always in the same place. Put and remove blocks. All the flowers. ores etc, does differ between shards/phases, in one it can be mined, in another not, i seen numerous times ore nodes that disappear or suddenly appear when you where phasing, changing nodes.

In Boundless all blocks can be changed removed/placed/chiselled etc. So they would behave like ore nodes in wow, and if in one shard someone change a single block, and in the other notā€¦ what version of that block should persist when shard merging?

Sharding in games like boundless makes more problems than solves :wink:

3 Likes

Shard the objects separate from the population :wink:

Still, due to synchronization overhead it probably would be not worth it. A game like this needs a synchronous calls, and itā€™s most performant when there is no sharding, when it all takes place in single thread. Often introducing parallelism is not worth the overhead. And parallelism involving different machines connected through network is just another pandoras box, netsplits, latency, ensuring messages (what you send through network) to arrive in order, arrive at all and at most onceā€¦

Sharding when you need proper ā€œreal time likeā€ synchronization, so the world is consistent is the last thing you want to do.

Itā€™s totally different case when you can have eventual consistency, when shards themselves are independent.

If all latency issues are connected, iā€™d hope they would fix the server registering kills first.

Nothing is more frustrating then killing a mob but it doesnā€™t register dead for .5-1.5 seconds later and it gets one final hit (since your guard is down since you killed it) and you die.

I agree with you.

If anything they should make all portal costs the same for planets that do not require any hazard protection.

Planet that require Hazard protection would require more oortstone since the portal is in a hazardous environment.

(I donno, just an idea in itā€™s infant stage there is room for improvement and suggestion.)

1 Like

The only other game that is like Boundless that I play that doesnt have latency issues is No Manā€™s Sky.

But the problem with NMS is all the data is stored player-side so the players can use save edits and cheat.

I do hope Boundless Team finds a way to correct the latency issues.

Yeah, thatā€™s reasonable categorization :slight_smile: Or something like that.

1 Like

Yes, I agree, I cannot understand why we have so many starter planets that are going to be empty soon.

If anything, there should be way fewer of them, 1-2 more t3, 2 more t4, and 2-3 more t5, as well as XP bonuses for breaking blocks and harvesting on t4+

People will still homes there. Iā€™m moving from T5 to T1, because itā€™s so much easier to build on T1 than T5.

3 Likes

I plan on living in a t5 or t6, but just make a portal and mine rock from whatever low T planet I want to make my buildings out of.

But for now, my friends and I are learning how to city in C-Merika.

1 Like

the groups I am in are planning or started their big builds on t2 planets so not going to be abandoned anytime soon. The reason is it is easier to build on t1 and t2.

1 Like

But is it really worth it cost wise to keep updating an empty planet if the player base drops?

They canā€™t just do server merges like other MMOā€™s.