Thoughts on cuttletrunks

if i could cuss i probably would. i really dislike cuttletrunks. the enemy itself is well made, i jsut hate them. every time i fight them i end up dying, fighting 5 OTHER enemies, or running so far away from what im trying to mine i cant find it again. I was just trying to dig some rock on Munteen VII and i fought 5 before i even got to where i was going (about 30 seconds walk straight through) and it took me about 3 minutes. as im trying to mine out a bunch of rock to repay someone for rock i took, and to make more walls of my own, i just kept getting assaulted by cuttletrunks to the point where i got 5 igneous rock and 13 tallow.

i dont really have suggestions on how to improve them, make them better, or what, but i feel like they need a little bit of balancing and wandering path fixes, or somehow improve my bad luck shrug

i hope this isn’t too negative though, because i love the game, very pretty and well made, wonderful and awesome, cuttletrunks just assault me so often and its just bugging me so much

I suppose you where digging at those large igneous rock spots to mine for them. Have you tried digging yourself inside and closing the entrace so you can safely mine rocks without disturbance(OH WAH AH AH AH)? Sure they will camp outside and your probaly have to run for it as soon as you get out but thats no big deal since by than you will have plenty of rocks and a short sprint in one direction(You don’t know, oh oh,You don’t know you’re beautiful,) and they wont bother you anymore.

1 Like

First off, in case you were unaware, Munteen VII is classified as a Ring Planet. In other words one of the most hostile in the game, and as such one of the most rewarding in terms of resources and rare blocks. Personally, while I do find the Cuttletrunks the most difficult mob that I’ve found, they are not that hard to deal with in groups of 1-3. Some suggestions that might make them easier for you.

1. If one agrro’s you, minimize how much you wander from that small area as that will often result in aggroing more mobs, as you’ve mentioned. Focus on the one that aggroed you to eliminate it.
  2. Use the Slingbow Extra Damage Crystals. They’re fairly easy to make and make a big difference.
  3. Dual-wield Slingbows, twice the damage potential.
  4. As you approach your target area, don’t try and run past all the mobs. Kill them first, often before they aggro you, you can get the first shot in.
  5. Have a good supply of Healing Brews in an active slot for quick access.
  6. What Yawaly said. :wink:
3 Likes

didn’t try mining under, but i did minimize my walking patterns, they all flew TOWARDS ME, i was running in circles taking carefully aimed shots, when all of a sudden, i heard 2 more squirks and then as i was fighting all of them, 2 more came along.

i had 30 brews before i started playing today. i went to Munteen with about 15, rage quite with 6, in about 10 of trying to mine.

killed all of the mobs before i started mining. as i said, all the cuttletrunks wandered STRAIGHT INTO ME. (that was not said angrily, jsut pointedly)

1 Like

Cuttletrucks are getting an upgrades so you’ll need to be even more prepared. You won’t be able to run past them as they’ll grab hold of you.

1 Like

yeah, mixed feelings, considering i already dislike them, but if it’s part of the game, i’ll probably just have to find a way to deal with it

Well Munteen has tier 4-5 creatures everywhere, it’s meant to be a particularly hard challenge.

If what the guys says doens’t work then you can try going as a team with others, perhaps someone who wants to just farm dark blood while you focus on your mining?

The only other option is to stick to a lower tier planet.

2 Likes

There’s also the option of not going alone. :wink: Although I know that can be tricky to organize.

None of the low tier planets have igneous stone in the quantity and colour I want.

And nobody else will go with me. I have like 5 friends on there and one’s a leader of a city, and the others did their own thing.

I don’t got nobody that will just watch my back

Also, the tier 4-5 isn’t a problem, it’s FIVE OF THEM. Quantity is my problem.

When I’m surrounded by cuttletrunks, I literally dig in. They tend to aim at your lower half, so dig a 1x1 hole and stand in it. You should be able to focus one target at a time with little or no damage from other targets so long as they are not directly on top of you.

Also works against spitters at about 5m or more.

8 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but igneous in munteen isn’t the same as solum or other starter planets? and I’ve found plenty of igneous in Solum

igneous on Vulpto - red, on Nashril - yellow and its all i think.

I’m paying someone back in igneous, and Munteen and Solum both have purple. Maybe a slightly different purple, but whatever

Solum is a starter planet so will be a lot safer to mine from. Also Therka has the purple colour stone too (I build my initial base out of it).

2 Likes

this isn’t about the mining aspect, that’s the aside note. the comments ive made on Cuttletrunks stand as so, and only so:

• ive found way too many, way too often (for my tastes)

• when i mine in an exposed area, i often get (comparative) hordes of cuttletrunks

• this is very annoying when I’m just trying to mine something but end up getting many cuttletrunks that just wander into my battle with previous cuttletrunks, especially trees since they dont appear underground.

• that’s it. there’s just a lot of them, and their wandering pathing seems to just give me massive amounts of bad luck. this thread wasn’t about the igneous rock. it was about cuttletrunks (sorry if this sounds aggressive or rude Stretchious)

They see (detection sphere) thru ground it’s a biggest problem! They can’t lost you or just give up when don’t see you long time.

1 Like

good point, ill put a suggestion topic into the suggestion thing, with a LoS timer sort of thing. if it cant see you a timer starts, if the timer runs out, it stops chasing you. meaning, if it gets stuck in a tree, it might stop attacking, sounds reasonable, but the cuttletrunk does zoom side to side enough that itd be difficult to just, block it off and escape.

there could be sneak/stealth passive in the skill tree that reduces the aggro or enemies totally loses aggro when out of sight. so instead regular invisibility sneaking skill it could be more about the aggro. it could be totally standard feature for all as well but the more things in a skill tree the more interest it places overall in gameplay.

5 Likes

i would love an aggro decreaser. a somewhat difficult to make potion that takes Silver and other things, so its not super easy, but super useful

1 Like