Tree physics and regeneration

Speaking of that, do you know whether we’re going to have trees that fall over and they regenerate later, or just ones that regenerate over time.

2 Likes

I reckon it will just work with standard world regen … missing blocks eventually get replaced over time. I doubt the trees will actually fall over as that would require some additional physics programming (but don’t quote me on that!)

I think someone mentioned in the past that there could be special types of trees, like ones that float off like balloons once you’ve taken out the bottom portion.

Not sure if anything like that will actually make it in-game, but it’d be cool for trees to simply degenerate once part of them has been taken out, and they regenerate in a new way sometime afterwards.

5 Likes

I already thought about how it would be possible to chop down the lower 5 trunk elements, which causes the tree tumble down into its blocky elements. In a way that they scatter around. It could be a very pleasing effect, both visually and even as easy going gameplay element. Nevertheless, what I consider gamelogic, it could be too easy (not necessarily bad) and maybe too shallow. Maybe you’d like to see the tree fall to one side. It would be more realistic. But I think it would be more fun to see the tree split up into its cube items. The only problem I got with this - when is the whole tree supposed to burst into its parts. I think from a gameplay point of view it would appeal to gamers intuition if a tree would explode or pop up into many cubes…at least visually. But if you had a 20 block high tree, and cut down only the lower 5 blocks, it would be strange to see the tree tumble into many voxels. Maybe an atomizer tool could help. The tumble-machine. It embraces the whole object causing it to stutter/shake/vibrate and ultimately fall into its parts. Like a well ordered and arranged simultanious popcorn explosion. I’d love that. Nevertheless, it is only a suggestion. Others might have better ideas. I always imagine those thing so droll cute and animated, and actually it is only an idea so bear with me…

1 Like

Having something like the tree physics mod in Minecraft by default would definitely be awesome.

The amount of floating trees caused by lazy lumberjacks was something that always bugged me while playing Minecraft on a public server.

3 Likes

To be honest. I’d rather have them decay than fall like that^^

2 Likes

At some point, one needs to collect the collapsed tree items, so blocks need to transform into item-shape. Could happen right at the beginning of tumble or when all blocks/a block touches ground.

It seems a bit too easy to harvest doesnt it? considering the difference in size from boundless and MC trees

They don’t^^ Trees don’t turn into handy pieces just because you chop them.

could be great having physics like that, one chop and the tree falls all over the place