Unavoidable But Interesting Exploits

I just thought of something! If a single player built a wall of beacons but left the middle of their territory neutral, they could effectively block other players while making use of the natural world regeneration for materials. I’m saying this assuming we can craft our own beacons at this point and regeneration has been implemented, so obviously it can’t happen yet.

On that genius note what can you guys think of that, considering what you expect to come and what has been confirmed, would become exploitable. Now I’m not necessarily encouraging use of these, but it will give you and the devs something to think about. Something where you go “Huuuuuuaaaaaaahhhh? I must try!.”

1 Like

Couldn’t people just cross your beacons and go into the middle? Even if you built a max-height wall, someone could build a max-height column right next to it and then jump in?

It seems like I remember reading something about a “number of beacons” being allowed per player. I would think we can only have so many just to avoid certain issues.

1 Like

If the player can make enough beacons, more power to them. However,

1. it has been said that there will be a limit to the number of beacons a player can have.

2. Beacons may could end up as simple pre-defined grid sections where there would be no way to overlap sections, just grow adjacent to them.

3. in the end people will basically choose a beacon path, similar to what was described in the OP, but in doing so they will lose the option to have a bigger square build.

@DarkRepulsor Traps go on the roof, walls with locked doors on the sides. There may or may not be traps like such, but I would think something could be used like that in the future.

@Nissalee The limit may very well exist, in such a case a group of players (guild) could claim the spot, more sharing of course but similar effect.

@Tahru 1: Answered above, 2: In which case you could still accomplish a wall effect, 3: Can you reword that, I don’t get it.

Good answers by the way.

I think the regeneration should take increasingly more time to happen. For instance, you clear out a 5x5x30 hole, and it takes a couple days to regenerate. You dig the same hole, and it takes a week to regenerate. Once more, a few weeks to regenerate. After a while, players would be discouraged from relying on one specific area for all of their materials. Of course this could cause problems somehow, but in the long run, it would prevent “cheating” for materials.

1 Like

well this might happen, but I believe the devs have said that players get a limited number of beacons. That said, a team of people could do this if they really wanted too, but it seems like a very expensive and convoluted plan anyways.

To reword #3 (assuming #2 is true). Say each person gets 4 beacons per world just for arguments sake. Then the adjacency is limited to.

Case 1: a line
0++++0

Case 2: a square
0++0
0++0

Case 3: an l-shape
0+00
0+00
0++0

Case 4: a cross
0+00
0++0
0+00

In all other cases, they are not joined, unless there is help from other players. The point of 3 was that each player has to choose. If he/she wants to build a castle, then maybe only the square shape would suffice.

Also, note that beacons may not cover the but a limited vertical range, so any holes would actually give another person to opportunity to set their own beacon in the center, like so, assuming some party did try the exploit as the OP suggested… In this case, the exploit has backfired.
00+00
0+x+0
00+00

Maybe like this?

The wall would go on the INSIDE border to prevent people from building anything like a siege tower if you design it so that it cannot be grappled over you wouldn’t even need to build it very tall

If any kind of terrain damaging explosives becomes a thing this would be a very bad idea to try…

I can find an easy solution for this problem;

It’s the same solution to the one that is usually used against people who are starting to disturb other people in chats -

Moderation.
Having a bunch of moderators and a good reporting system should solve those problems

1 Like

This isn’t really an exploit for me. Sure people can position their beacons (independently or with friends) to surround areas. They can then build protection around these to max height.

1. This is a seriously strange way to protect land that is identical to the land outside the surrounding beacons.

2. There is nothing special about the land they have protected. Resources will regen inside and outside this structure.

3. We’re accounting for the ratio of beacon size to total world size to be quite low. Allowing the game to have space, not feel cramped, and keep the worlds fun to explore.

So - yes this is possible - but at the moment I don’t see what is gained.

5 Likes

Yes it isn’t exactly the most cheaty thing out there, but the biggest cost would be beacons. You guys definitely have this argument in the bag though. @Crazyaga I don’t think Moderators or a reporting system could stop someone from doing this, it isn’t really cheating it’s making use of what exist and anyone who would decide to do this isn’t hurting other players by doing so (according to this thread other players may think you were the one missing out).

Anyone else have an idea? It’s fun to talk about and it’s a good thing to talk about now and in the future as we discover how things really work.

Well though it might not count as cheating it could theoretically still count as an exploit (abusing the game system) but honestly? i dont see the problem. or why you would even do it.

1 Like

Well what if a guild/a group of players builds their beacons around the beacon of another player and then everyone builds walls to max. height? Then the owner of the middle beacon would be trapped (assuming beacons also go into the ground)
Like this:

We’ve already seen a case like this where someone built a wall around someone else’s Beacon.

1 Like

Interesting idea, but the only way I can see it being useful is if there is a ridiculously great resource deposit in the middle. That way you are guaranteeing you are the only one with access to it. Still, the worlds are big enough I don’t think it will be much of an issue.

Blocking someone else in on the other hand, could be.

Agreed with Tercel. claiming an area in the middle, doesnt matter. but if you build beacons around another beacon to block it then its something else entirely, i was always kinda curious about it. i think beacons should have a certain safezone, so to say. like, if the 2 beacons arent connected, then there is going to be a small 5 block area out where there cannot be build a beacon, this would make it impossible to block completely in most cases. however if they are dedicated they still could. so im not sure there is even something to do against it.

Honestly, the things that come into my mind about this exploit is people building around Oort Temples…

What would prevent people from blocking the access to an Oort Temple by building around it using beacons?
Even if you make it so that people can’t use beacons in the area near Oort Temples, they can just team up and sorround it with a bigger circle

2 Likes

Japp, there should be a system to prevent such efforts. May be you would have at least some blocks free even between beacons of fiends. So you may block a part of a side alone, but not the whole biome.

1 Like