Unplayable lag every day at 8pm EST. Fix this or I quit (as do many others)

I’m an American on Finata. Happens every day like clockwork. Apparently, using a European VPN fixes this, so the devs are apparently throttling Americans at crunch time? <Edited by Steggs - Watch the language>

Seriously though, whatever is going on is ruining the game, and will make people quit.

3 Likes

When you leave, can I have your stuff?

5 Likes

This is really getting to become BEYOND ANNOYING

UNPLAYABLE UNPLAYABLE UNPLAYABLE. That’s all I see most evenings.

Now Finata just seems straight up down …

1 Like

My main/hunter/miner is stuck in the sanctum at Besevrona :frowning: I could spend 1900c to get home, but I’ll just craft more for now.

I assure you we absolutely are not throttling connections based on ip (or at all.)

7 Likes

Can you find out why this happens every day like clockwork and what needs to be done to fix it?

While you’re assurances are great, it’s not stopping a large majority of us from not being able to play for a large chunk of time.

I’m not sure what we can do to help aid that process but I do know DK and I are both playing on the PS4. I know many people who complain in the hubs are on PS4 as well. Each evening people who I have friended quit playing Boundless areound the same time and it’s always a result of ‘too much lag’.

Edit: this happens every day at almost the same time, give or take 10 minutes. It’s extremely infuriating. Usually I can sidestep it by making sure I log off on USW servers. If I forget and log off on a EU server then my character is basically jailed until I play the next day.

I’m in on this. One of many reasons this game was sadly released pre maturely as I’ve said time and time again. Love the game but the server integrity is deteriorating rapidly and it’s supposed to improve. Fix after fix and update after update and still just trash. Quit adding things and fix the backbone of your game or it’s doomed for failure. This is getting rediculous

Oh and god forbid you dare step near a portal l0l let alone a hub!

(I am not a networking expert, or am very knowledgeable in network infrastructure, so take all this with a pinch of salt)

I can say that our servers are not under extreme stress or anything to explain people’s lag, but that at 00:15 UTC I believe we trigger full snapshots of the servers for backups, which may be causing a period of lag (not involved with this to give a definitive answer). you say 8pm EST, but I assume you mean 8pm EDT since at least until today, USA has been in daylights saving, and this would match up with when the snapshots of the servers is being performed. There is an open ticket in our issue logger for this to be moved to the most globally quiet time of the game as a short term “fix”, but needs investigation to what we can do (short of not getting perfect backups anymore which is a bit dangerous) to keep it from causing stress on the server.

Other causes of lag (given that our servers are not under stress and we absolutely dont do any throttling, certainly not ip-based throttling) can only be down to either:

1. simply having far too high a latency, eg a user in south america on a not-great ISP may simply have too high latency to Amazon’s AWS servers in Australia to play on those servers (latency must remain within 500ms one-way including spikes).

2. the routing of traffic between the user’s computer and Amazon’s AWS servers is “bad” (has high packet loss) which may also cause unexpectedly high latency. This is not something we can do anything about really… it has nothing to do with our servers. Some user’s may find a VPN provides a better experience, simply because using the VPN means the routing is forced to change and then happens by chance to avoid bad links. Sometimes Amazon itself has issues in their internal routing leading to high packet loss which I find examples of online and they usually resolve quite quickly which would cause issues for everyone, but in general bad routing is entirely a personal issue, a user on a particular ISP in a particular part of the world happens to go down internet routes that have issues on them whilst a user on another ISP or in another town doesn’t. Sometimes ISP’s can be a problem here, and opening a ticket with the ISP will kick them into resolving it.

Some users keep saying that their internet connection cannot have any issues because they can watch netflix or youtube without problems, or play other games without problems, which is not really relevant to Boundless. Netflix/youtube buffer content which is not possible in a game, buffering hides any large latency spikes or packet loss so that they are non-issues unless the connection is really completely broken, and netflix and youtube will both have huge networks of CDN so that you are streaming the video from a server very close to your physical location. Other games, generally speaking are either 1) not “realtime”, and dont require stable connections, or 2) only ever have you playing on servers physically located near to you (not on other continents or the other side of the world, no-one seriously plays an FPS with latency over 100ms). Some games with shared universes like Boundless may achieve that via sharding, where there are actually multiple servers for the same “world” and again, you connect to a server located physically near to you, but then you dont necessarigly see what is happening on the other servers or are effected by it (like you mining an ore whilst other people on a different shard see that ore doesnt even exist, or you dont even see the other players at all)… and that is not really possible in Boundless because the world itself can be modified and you absolutely cannot have interactions with the world not be effecting all users…

not to say there is “no other” possibilities, there are other issues that we have looked at before, that added the chunk-download throttling options to help people combat bad connections, and there is another issue locally fixed but not yet released to do with auto-throttling planet-map (for globes/planets in the sky) downloads which were being allowed to run at “full speed” and similarly could have caused temporary issues as they downloaded.

12 Likes

If you quit can you give me your base cords? Thank you. If anyone is planning on quitting just PM your beacon cords and the exact time that you last logged off.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to better explain that. The user who referenced 8pm EST is probably like every other American and we’ve all been taught pst/mst/cst/est as standard time zone indicators. Americans are horrific at using proper dst descriptions. I’ll blame it on our education system for the last several decades.

That aside, your lagmonster scenario you are describing due to the snapshots is probably the real culprit here. I personally don’t have any real lag issues outside of this window the same time every evening. I hope your proposed bandaid fixed is something you guys are able to fast track. It really shuts down the game for an hour or two each evening.

4 Likes

I am in us East and find that I lag more often on my own server planets than I do on the EU servers, and I have no VPN or anything of that sort. Shrug

I mean regardless what the culprit is the reality is it’s hitting during prime time for a very large market and it has the ability to tank a game. I pay the devs to find solutions to a sub optimal game experience. Outside of system reqs, bandwidth, having ports open etc… all the standard things you’d expect to hear it is indeed the devs problem that it runs like trash. Saying that you can’t do anything about taking peoples money for a game that by any real standards doesn’t run for half of the average players available playtime just isn’t something I like to hear from anyone within the company. Thats a cop out and looks poor for both the dev and publishing company. Which is unfortunate cause square Enix is wonderful

Once again. Years and years in beta and a seemingly pushed release complete with a paid membership and cash shop including both plots and cosmetics seems suspect too me lol

Yes, 8:15 EDT sounds about right.
You guys may be euro-centric, but you have to have thought at some point “hey I wonder if this will be an issue when everyone is logging on at 8:00edt when they get home from work”. Perhaps pick a time less horrible for us Americans?

And while I believe your assurances, I can also tell you someone said using a EU VPN fixed everything. Since the electrons travel roughly the same path this way… I don’t know man.

Thanks! Ok, off to go play more CoD since this game is kinda over unless fixed ASAP, no offense. I’m surprised this is a thing 1 month post release. Forget about new worlds and content, 100% of the team needs to be on unplayable lag and portal crashes if you want to survive, which I hope you guys do for what it’s worth. Nobody gives a F**K about chairs, lol. I’m pretty surprised that was somehow a priority, even if the code was 99% done. I’m not mad, just sorely disappointed. This game is going the way of release date No Man’s Sky. Hire more devs if needed. I used to suggest this game to friends; now I laugh while comparing the concept as well as the trash netcode and crashes to NMS while telling people to save their money for Fallout 76. Again, u guys seem nice, but I have the feeling the devs are not in touch with the actual state of affairs where people are quitting the game in droves while you talk about cloth banners and hunter enemies. Cute ideas but not only irrelevant, they send the game to the community “we think the netcode is fine as-is, and bugs are not a priority to us”, even if that is not in fact your thought process. Three of my friends quit the game this week due to crashes and slow fixes/work by devs. Sorry for the “tough love”

Btw, chatting while trading on PS4 is still a reproducible crash post 200 update.

Oh, and for bug fixing, I have a wired connection to my PS4 with 100megabytes per second tested download fiber internet (not megabits, either) at that time of day. My ping to US speed test is 15ms at that time of day and my ping to EU speedtest servers is about 50. When I play Overwatch with an EU host on custom games, my WORST ping is 50-60. My ping in game is 100-150ms except at lag time which is 200-500ms. So even during the other 23 hours a day, my ping in BL is literally 2 or 3 times my ping to other euro gameservers. There’s more than one problem here guys.

Suggestion: trickle your backups. One region every 30 minutes makes 48 regions, and do two regions at 10am and 1030am GMT.

1 Like

I will never use the metric system.

#MURICA

If you ever wanna get high in life then best of luck with that :grin::+1:

Eh I have a masters of science in medicine and teach college science, and I do ok with mostly Imperial. You elitist :wink: Admittedly, a far inferior system to Metric.

If you want to get high in life we have a system for that too :wink:

How about you wait until 830 EDT or EST to play?