Unpopular opinion: Boundless is meant for groups of players not solo

How do you get more resources by mining in a group? So far as I am aware, I get the exact same number of resources when I mine alone as I do when I mine with other people.

To be clear here, I don’t play alone. I play with my boyfriend. I would love to play with more people than that, but there does not seem to a whole lot of incentive in the game to play together. Torturing people into submission through long crafting times and massive ingredient requirements does not seem to be working…

Not necessarily. If any game has buy/sell implemented in some way, players are going to buy/sell. Many in this very thread have commented they buy instead of gather.
I’d buy if I had the coin. Again it seems you need to be a massive builder/crafter to have much coin. Which is fine, it makes it more difficult for the smaller guy, but it’s doable.

Boundless put out their first game trailer and it mentioned community gaming immediately. So I knew from the start I’d be a slower builder as a casual player.

If you don’t know how to spec your character for a hunt, you will not be able to do meteors on t4 or higher worlds because the creatures are from lvl 2 meteors and more powerful. (Not always, you still get a few lvl 1s)

I can’t do those alone. Or if I do, I die. A LOT. And keep going with an exp debt. At least I’m getting higher materials.

You have a choice in a game like Boundless.

As it’s been mentioned, you either learn to get out of your shell and meet people that do things with you, or you go it alone, buying as you can and gathering as you can.

I don’t see any single one way to play Boundless. You just have to decide for yourself what you can and can’t handle and carve out a play style that works with the games current mechanics.

Would I like to see things eased up for soloing? YES!
Hopefully it won’t be long before we hear from the Devs on what is or might be coming.

2 Likes

in case of these two it doesn’t have to be done by a group in one spot or even the same time to call it a group activity

a guild can do things better by assigning mining and gathering tasks to different members who in turn do them in their own time (bringing way more resources for benefit of the group, like supporting the needs of the guild forger who then hands some of the forged tools to the members)

biggest advantage of working together or cooperating every now and then (even if loosely), is to be able to learn from one another; learning and enjoying this game without input of others is limited really

3 Likes

By pooling resources together. Two people mining get twice as much stuff in 1hr as one person.

1 Like

I would be happy to mine , or gather, with others. It seems that most people I am familiar with are in different time zones and not around when I am or visa versa. It’s a big world out there grins

2 Likes

Pooling resources does not make mining a group activity, though. It is still a solo activity, and then you are giving someone else all your loot. The pooling is the group activity, not the mining.

1 Like

Me too, especially with something like voice chat. Socializing while mining or gathering makes the time go by quicker and is just more fun. At times I’ve enjoyed doing such things so much I’ve given as much as half my gathered things to the organizer for the group mining just because i had a great time.

I’d be happy to help and play with other players and give them extra resources from the trip too, mmos are social games, you make friends and the whole thing is a lot more fun.

The game has player run Pretty much everything.

Its obvious that 1 player cant complete against 10.

But if you are just playing the game without some sort of “i wanna be the very Best” In mind… Then it is enjoyable as solo too.

4 Likes

The pooling is the group activity in that case, though, not the mining. There are limited opportunities in this game for players to meet each other to form groups in the first place because there is so little group content. You end up in a catch 22 where no one groups, so no group forms. You have to have the groups first before you work together to take on bigger goals.

Also, the more people you get together, the less likely people are going to be to trust each other not to steal all the loots. If you never group for anything but the resource pooling, then people don’t have any opportunity to get to know and trust one another.

I’m not saying that pooling stuff is a bad idea. I’m saying that if that is the only group content, something is missing. Hunting together is incentivized in multiple ways. Loot is instanced by person, oort scales with the number of people there, the number of enemies (ie loots) scale with the number of people there, and the danger of hunting is mitigated when hunting together. So people hunt in groups. Where is that kind of incentive structure for anything else in the game?

1 Like

You don’t actually have to do a group activity to benefit from being in a large group of people that all play together.

Some people really enjoy gathering/mining, but hate building. Some enjoy crafting, some enjoy hunting. Some like it all. Some don’t, but the benefit I have seen is someone gathering items while someone else uses those items. To me it’s sort of a win/win. Do you have to be grouped up to do all this? Nah… but it does make things a bit less time consuming.

I played WoW solo other than being a guy a lot of people picked up to Tank or Heal as I had 2 decently geared toons. I didn’t really want to be in a guild, but I did want to do end game content. Kind of nice to solo what I could and then get help from others without the whole guild committment.

I could technically do hunts solo and I have done them on all Tiers, but it’s just easier and more lucrative with others. I don’t need a group, just like I didn’t in WoW, but the more the merrier at times :slight_smile: :partying_face:

1 Like

Dear god I hope the update from @james isn’t just “now that we’re self-publishing, we’ve ported Boundless to Switch! Enjoy!”

2 Likes

So just to clarify what I am saying, here are some potential methods for incentivizing group mining.

Right now, it takes an absolute ton of skill points to max out your skill sheet for mining higher tier planets. Why not incentivize grouping by making damage higher when mining in a group? The more players, the less points and potions and whatnot you need to mine on a tier 6? Then people could have skill points left over for quality of life things like lights and high jumping instead of squeezing every last drop out of damage.

Why not increase the number of resources that drop when mining in groups? Diamond blocks drop up to 4 or 5 when a lot of people are around?

There are things that could be done to incentivize people to mine together and group up. The current incentivization methods result in the current behavior. If you want different behavior, then something needs to change.

1 Like

It would seem that would be unfair to the solo players. Having done some game development and had this discussion come up many times you cannot discount solo players in MMOs. Technically you can, but it’s not the ideal situation.

Here’s a good video if you care to take the time to watch it.

2 Likes

Are group hunts unfair to solo players?

Do the game mechanics change when in a group hunt vs hunting solo?

Edit: Technically the game mechanics do change… you would get larger meteors. I’ll write more after the replies :stuck_out_tongue:

meteor tier and thus creature tier changes - what follows is available drops

still, its a MMO and I am of opinion that solo players needs should be accommodated only as long as it doesn’t break planned MMO mechanics and features

as mostly a single playing I have to say it doesn’t bother me if cooperating players get advantage over my solo grind; just fair

2 Likes

Meteor Tier technically would only produce more drops correct? I could solo on a T6 and still get the same items as a group on a T6 right?

Yes. lol. The mobs scale up. The oort from the meteor scales up. How is scaling up drops from a meteor and scaling up drops from a block any different?

I’m not advocating for any particular change. The ones I listed are just random ideas off the top of my head. I don’t care if those in particular are adopted. I am just saying that the current game mechanics result in the current behavior. The current behavior is that most people play solo, and complain about the crafting times and quantities needed to do anything. If people are happy that way, then that is fine. This thread indicated that people were not happy with the current trend of soloness that is going on. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is one definition of insanity. Complaining people don’t work in groups isn’t going to make people work in groups. The game design has to incentivize grouping if grouping is to occur.

if I prefer t3-t4 hunts, playing solo make it impossible to get mighty and elite mobs, meaning certain trophies are unattainable
I need to team up with at least a few people on t3-t4 to start getting top tier mobs

The majority of my time in boundless has been as a solo player. It is very doable and offers a freedom that working in a group setting can lack. It’s also easier to avoid conflict. It’s easy to open portals to your friends.

That being said finding like minded ppl who are about the same thing can be very rewarding. It’s why I restarted my old guild Nevermore. It’s brought something back for me. It can be lonely and tedious building and maintaining everything by oneself.

6 Likes