Unstable connection

Just got boundless last week from Steam (if I’d realised I could of got it direct then I would of, only found out afterwards :confused:) …I keep getting the unstable connection message every 10-15 seconds and then after counting down it goes back to the game, only occasionally kicking back to San gum… as far as I can tell I have a pretty stable Internet connection with a decent speed and even after dropping most of the graphics settings right down it’s still the same… any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you are connecting to a server that is too far away from your real world location.

We have an FAQ on this if you like to take a look.

https://forum.playboundless.com/t/q-im-having-connection-lag-issues-help/

Thanks, I’ll go through everything in that article tonight when I get home from work … I’m in the UK and I’m pretty sure I initially connected to the EU one as I thoughtt that would be the closest compared to the US or Australia. … if I do have to change server will I have to start the whole game/character from scratch?

This is the FAQ entry to look at:

Try setting your bandwidth limit to the minimum option. If it works ok you can increase it.

That is one option, another option is to travel through a warp or portal but you might need to ask someone in the community to help you out.

Have a check first and see where you are and we’ll see if we can help. :slight_smile:

idk if it’s lag I have but after the update the key and mouse reactions are slow, did try to going in and out of the game and restart my pc but it dosent work.

I was having this problem all the time. I was in the right server location and stuff. Under options you can choose to not be dropped when you get a Unstable Connection notice. I chose this option and everything has been fine.

just did turn it on but it didn’t make any difference for me still slow reactions when walking, jumping and use the mouse but thanks =)

Is your PC overheating? I play on a Mac and don’t have lag problems which is weird because Macs are not for gaming. XD

The only time I ever got lag was when I played for a long time and Mac got very hot. And are you in the right server?

No. No overheating this started after the update idk why tho just restarted an extra time to be sure and I am also in the right server (therka for EU)

here is a new gif something is wrong :3

Please confirm you’re running the latest graphics drivers directly from the vendor (NVIDIA or AMD?)

just just did everything and it didnt work (I didn’t have any problems yesterday)

Thanks, I have tried that but it’s still happening unfortunately.

Laptop not overheating … It gets pretty warm but that’s normal for it. . … how do I change server just to see if that makes any difference?

From what I can see the ping is ok.

The speed test should be able to handle it as well I think.

Not sure about the packet loss as it was timing out about once every 45-60 seconds … don’t know if that’s bad or not.

I have set the bandwidth limit to the minimum as James suggested but still the same … just downloading the latest graphics driver and will try again when that’s done.

I don’t know if this makes any sense but I noticed this flash up briefly whenever I got kicked back to Sanctum,“Missing portal connection WarpSrc_playerstart euc_c1_homeWarpDst_playerstart_3181784465564610119” plus on a few occasions it came up with Error 8 and sometimes Error 9.

I am physically in the UK and as far as I’m aware I’m connecting to the EU server and my character is on Therka.

This output is the problem.

Without the game running - your latency is bouncing from ~85ms which is great, to over 500ms which is terrible and unplayable for a realtime game.

If your connection continues to be this variable then the Boundless will be limited by this variability.

You need to work out why this is happening and try to resolve it.

Likely issues are:

1. Playing Wirelessly and the signal is noisy. Try a wired connection, tweaking your QoS setting, tweaking the wireless config (force 5Ghz, try a different channel, etc), moving closer to the router, etc.

2. Contention on your local network. Is someone else using the connection at the same time? iPlayer, YouTube, Spotify, etc?

3. Contention on your ISP connection. Less you can do about this, but it’s possible that during the evening your local ISP connection is much busier.

If you can run the Ping test and get a solid ~80ms without the jumps above 500ms then the game will be solid.

1 Like

I’m using a wired connection but there are a couple of TV’s in the house that either or both will often be running Netflix so I’m guessing that must be causing the problem…I have just upgraded the broadband to fibre which should come into affect in a couple of weeks time so hopefully that will help.

1 Like