Voxel game comparison

There are many other voxel games out there. We would really love to hear your opinions about them to help us make OO better:

1. What they do right?
  2. What they do badly?
  3. What OO could learn from them?
2 Likes

Well i dont know if it is still true but minecraft “changed” their eula so servers couldnt sell ingame stuff. So what you guys could learn from that: don’t try to obtain more power over the game by making it less fun and taking down the most fun part of the game. Because without being able to sell ingame items in minecraft servers can’t pay their bills and will close so you can only play singeplayer. But i don’t think they finished this action.

Landmark

1. Initially thought this was a dream come true. They added great detail and furniture too.

2a) Too long to release.

2b) The level of detail and micro voxels has really drained the creativity from it, rather than helped it. Make no mistake, I do believe they did a stellar job, but it is not really a welcome world to the wild crafter and creativity that makes MC fun to play. There is something really freeing about not being able to make a perfect anything.

1. Although there is value in bringing realism to a game, too much realism tends to stifle innovation which can be deadly to a game targeted at creative types.

It is my belief that the only reason MC has succeeded in maintaining its title is because everyone is trying too hard to be better rather than embracing what makes it special.

1 Like

Perhaps selling things on an owned world would be fine but for all that is Oortian do not let such items be able to simply be generated on owned worlds. At least don’t let generated items be usable on the main worlds else this game will become pay to win, and that is a bad, bad thing.

1 Like

At the moment Oort just doesn’t have the same amount of things to do, that’ll change unless all of you die suddenly. Oort is an MMO though and not just a straight Minecraft, you should definitely be more focused on your comparison to other MMO games while also keeping in mind the world you are working with (voxels).

Well I’ll shoot anyway, Minecraft had transportation down early on (minecarts). Of course no one uses minecarts for transporting goods or themselves unless there’s some special glitch happening. Oort has a grappling hook, but I’ve killed myself plenty of times through that method of getting around.

There’s a game called TUG and I don’t like it, it has a cool crafting system, but it’s not anywhere near done and the controls suck. Oort is good on controls and we’ve established that it’s a work in progress, crafting works well and is appropriate, though I wish that if I put sticks down with wood blocks I could get the crafting results that a single one of those could make as well as the combination. TUG uses everything on the table in it’s recipes, but it’s far different and incapable of separating the ingredients so I can’t blame it.

1 Like

CREATIVERSE…
good: the movement of the character is quite fluid cuz of a higher jump and well speeded movement. The many different styles of furniture and building blocks are quite nice and It makes fun to build with them. Need of special machines to mine rare ores (which need time)

Bad: the mobs are well designed but seem to be to simple in movement and skills. The equipment is basically only armor and some weapons. Combat is dull. You need to many different types of mats for even the simplest tools and consumables… No standard life reg.

To learn from: look at the good points up there and avoid doing the bad ones :wink:

BLOCKSTORY…
Good: nice biomes like underground goblin caves and a hell. Equipment for waterbreathing, driving or flying that need fuel. Flying world over the ground world. Infinite hight and depth. Nice water creatures and gigantic dragons.

Bad: need to do quests for recipes. Progress feels way unbalanced. Weapons are uncreative (no special effects).

To learn from: may be a bit more hight than 256 blocks. Fueled vehicles are also a good thing. Do a better progress and don’t do it with point buy ;D

STARFORGE / GRAV
good: nice shooter intense Crafting games. Cool to have nice ranged combat.

Bad: mobs are uncreative and feels like to need to grind a lot to get good recipes (cuz they are loot).

To learn from: let ranged combat be fast and skill-based. Don’t let recipes to be loot only, cuz it’s annoying.

STARBOUND/TERRARIA
good: maaaany furnitures (and creative races for starbound) . Cool random dungeons/caves/villages/… . Tier based progress. Cool random effects on weapons and many weapons with random effects. STARBOUND has random skills on mobs. Nice farming and many cooking recipes.

Bad: nothing special next to the fact that they are only 2d ;D

To learn from: the possibility for random dungeons or fortresses that are more then a few rooms. Creatures with cool skills and may be random ones on some too. The effects weapons can have (different energy damage, speed, projectile size, different swings, waves through melee weapon effects). Different Styles of furniture/decorations and the cooking recipes :wink:

Hope that’s enough for now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ps: I had chosen to talk about crafting games, not only voxel games :wink:

1 Like

I will say that while Starbound/Terraria aren’t voxel games I would hope for Oort to be similar at some point in it’s development. They have tons and tons of things to make, whether functional for stats or pure vanity, and it’s not like Minecraft where you are really there to build a cool castle and keep the creepers away. Instead you are encouraged to go fight them for some resources and the bosses are cool. That said, I expect intelligent enemies with strengths, weaknesses and reactions, not purely super stat enemies where the guy with the biggest boot wins.

2 Likes

Also they have many different crafting station types. Mixed that with the timed crafting of creativerse it would be a good mix. For example you have a workbench, a cooking place and a alchemical cauldron and if you want to craft something you will have to wait until the items are finished (with a inventory in the station where the items are then left for you (and one you if you reserve the station with a token) for picking them up). :wink:

1 Like

I was a fan of Cube World.

What they do right?
The game had a simple look but vibrant colours and the controls felt smooth. Temperature and humidity was (or did) play a part in the game and the 3D minimap looked awesome.

What did the do badly?
Just up and stopped developing.

What OO could learn from them?
I think you’ve already got it right, involving the community and providing feedback. You may not agree with the comments and we may not agree with your direction but with open communication we can all end up being involved and on the same page. (or something like that)

2 Likes

Ya cube world has tons of potential, I’m aware that the guy wasn’t really trying to make a career off that game, but it was amazing for as far as he got before disappearing.

1 Like

Trove

1. The game offers many different “small” things to do, that continue to get built upon. For example, there are tons of things to collect, from gear looks for dress up to mounts and pets. Engaging in combat is fun and all, but sometimes people want to just farm something to create an awesome mount, or have cute little pets to follow them around.

2. Though Trove has pets and gardening, the system feels bland. For those who take the time to farm pets and want to plant things, we often look to the more intricate systems. It would be so much cooler if we could take a pet and breed it with another to hopefully achieve some special outcome. Maybe planting some flower in the winter instead of the summer to try and get it to bloom differently. Simplicity is nice in some cases, but without the extra players will stray sooner rather than later.

3. I believe OO can learn from Trove that exploration is a powerful thing. People will play your game if you keep making it exciting. World events that spawn randomly could make people want to explore. Offering a more in-depth farming system gives those who aren’t there for big combat something interesting to keep them coming back each day.

Another point to bring up is the shop. Because the game is Free to Play, Trion counts on the sales in the shop to keep the game afloat. I don’t mind this for the most part, because it is a super casual title with no PvP. People can sort of buy gear, buy purchasing items off the shop and reselling them to other players for in-game currencies or gear. If OO is going to have a shop, please keep it cosmetic. Things like special looking costumes or mounts are fine. Even better, is allowing players to buy these items and resell them to other players with in-game currency. This would hopefully keep the gold sellers from interrupting game play.

Thanks for being awesome and listening to us!

2 Likes

Oh, the EULA… Frankly, as a former server host myself, the servers that were most affected by the EULA change were GREEDY SCUMBAGS. They were taking a game, a product that they only played and hosted, not develop themselves, and they monetized it, making it a pay to win scheme. The worst part is how incredibly lucrative it was for them. It would have been a trivial matter for them to pay for their servers with the massive amount of players they already had, either through putting ads on their forums or even simply selling access to third party mods on their servers, but when you’re literally charging money to get things you could (or in some cases SHOULD) be able get in the game after 30 minutes of mining, that’s purely motivated by greed. The worst part is that they were in most cases taking advantage of children who were to young to work by convincing them to charge it all to Mommy and Daddy’s credit cards to pay for it as a sort of digital babysitter service. My server had a monthly operating cost (forums, server, all bills included) that was often as much as $600 a month and I was able to make enough to pay my bills AND my staff and make a humble profit for myself every month without stooping to a P2W model. When the EULA hysteria was going on in the MC hosting community, it was business as usual for us. My server was perfect example of “when you take care of your guests, they will take care of you!” The sleezy practices of other successful servers was a big factor in why I decided to get out of the MC Hosting community in the first place. Mojang did right by fixing the EULA, and any server that went under as a result didn’t deserve to exist in the first place.

Moral of the story; don’t even begin to get involved in pay to win schemes.

1 Like

I’d like to add to some of the things Landmark did badly. (These are based off of when I last played the game.)

• That ten minute intro video that you are forced to watch when first playing the game.

• Punishing players for not playing.
    - You have to get on an mine copper for hours (maybe less if you are lucky) to get enough to pay for the upkeep of your claim (Land owned by a player that said player uses copper that is mined to pay as rent).

• The combat
    - To me, the combat was bad. I’ve seen multiple people say it is just button mashing and circle strafing. (I think there were three skills linked to each weapon, plus a basic attack) Still better than Minecraft’s spam left click combat.

• The mobs

• The mobs punish you, even on the lower tier worlds, the damage is the same in all tiered worlds but the health varies.
  • Crafting (Getting materials)

• Every item requires that you go out and farm tons of mobs just to get a fraction of amount of said item that you need.
  • Micro-transactions

• From what I remember you could pay to get a bundle of materials instead of spending time gathering. (Good for players that have money to toss at people instead of spending time gathering.)
2 Likes

I agree with those who say “no pay to win.” I hate games like that. Some games make you buy them, where some are called “free to play,” but the truth behind it is: the more money you give them, the better you’ll dominate other players. Personally I like games that challenge me to earn my rewards and when I am defeated by someone who obviously spent hundreds of dollars on the game and keeps me pinned down for hours unable to progress, I lose interest in playing and quit.

I don’t mind aesthetics such as a black horse instead of the usual white that has no differences about it other than color, but I don’t like games that offer gear, extra banks and bags, and other advancements through a payment system. Also the games that make you pay for use of the auction houses or for in-game currencies are terrible too as they only put the payers further ahead of those who would rather play the game and earn their honors.

I summary, be about the players not the payers.

3 Likes

voxel games is admittedly not my speciality although i have played quite a bit of them but not enough to judge them, one of these is landmark.

Trove

What the did right:

Style System:

you could change the look of your weapons, hat, and mask, there was also for body but that was for max level and then cash shop only.

every one of the equipment items had a specific style that would drop depending on the area, so undead in an undead biome, fae in a fae biome and so on. the cool thing was that you could destroy the item and save the style which went into a logbook you had and you could then use that style whenever you wanted, so if i disliked the look of my guns i could go into my log and change the look of them without paying anything as many times as i liked.

it was so nice to have collectibles like that.

Statsystem:

The item in the game had so many stats on the items, most of them are simple compared to the standard, but the one stat i simply loved, was the jump stat, you could stack gear with 3 - 4 + jumps so you would be able to jump like 13 times into the air which was amazing. and added so much mobility to the game. this might be OP in this game, but yeah

Combat/Building HUD:

they had the ability to switch between building mode (placing blocks and mining blocks) and combat mode (took out weapons, got a few hotbar skills and a potion slot)

this i think is neccesary.

Block Colors

something that was also pretty neat was the fact that you had some basic color blocks in the world, but you could use a color machine to split them into more color, so a blue block could be made into anything from light blue to dark sea blue. blocks.

What they did wrong:

Gold limitation.

this thing bothered me to no end. you got gold from doing dungeons which you needed to unlock new classes BUT there was a limit on a few hundred coins that you could get each day. so that mean you had to farm every day to hit the limit, and it didnt take long, but after that it was almost just a waste to clear dungeons, you got levels but you didnt get any gold towards progress. the reason for this was also that the gold was used in the ingame cash shop. so they pushed so hard to get money that you almost felt violated.

Customization:

There was near 0 customization. all of the races, hell even the genders looked identical, all your customization came from the items you wore which would have been fine, if you could get more items than just head and weapon. people tended to look the same and you never felt like you could express yourself.

Arstyle:

this is kind of a plus and a minus at the same time, the art style was pretty cool but it really bothered me how all of the blocks kinda looked like wax. and that there was no ‘‘Wilderness’’ in terms of grass, it just looked so tame like a candy land

What could oort online learn from this:

1. make collectibles, even if they are stupid skins or even useless items, collectables are awesome
  2. Allow player created content, all of the dungeons and weapon skins were created by players, they could send them in for a general vote and if they were accepted they would get added into the game and every weapon / hat / mask which was made with that skin would have a ‘‘created by:’’ tab so the person who did it got some credit,
  3. Having some sort of timesink is okay, but dont lock down the amount of something you can get in a day if it is for something important, like classes.
  4. allow us to customize or characters looks with styles (and hopefully dyes, i have an entire post for both so yeah…)
  5. dont be afraid to add cool stats, rather than having only standard STR/DEX/INT ish system you could add more stats like jump height, amount of jumps, how fast you dig (called lasermancy in this game), damage, movementspeed and so on.

Cube World

Ahh yes. cubeworld, the eternal alpha game, had so much potentional but it havent been worked on for years. such a waste

What they did right:

So many small things, its really hard to put a finger on it, cause some of the systems might seem pretty mediocre but all put together it just feels so nice.

Placeholder for stuff to come.

3 Likes