Warps In Waiting

Before I start, may I say that this is a suggestion that has come about from my own ignorance of how things work.

I met a player, we decided to share beacon spaces in hopes of, through a collective effort, making it off of the planet Berlyn. Long story short, I did. I then set up base on Elopor, saved my location then headed back to Berlyn to leave a location marker for the other player.

This cost me, at this point, 1000c. 2 one way tickets.

I make it back to Berlyn, Leaving the location picker for the player. I then had the idea I would simply set a warp up for them. Im aware that after you break open the warp you get 30s to jump through or whatever… And its a one way trip. What i DIDNT know was that the blocks, regardless of whether or not you break them open, will eventually (after like a minute) break open on their own. The warp i crafted for my self did, then i took it so as not to lose my chance and as im going in, the other portal opens up … that cost me another 1000c.

It would be nice if the portals would last, as unopened warps, with their locations set, indefinitely… Until broken open by a player to actually reveal the warp.

and while im mentioning it,

Warping costs wayyyyy to much anyhow. Traveling is a poor progression gate, and with something as ‘signature’ to this game as warps they should be used more frequently and freely.

I suggest 50c for a trip. thats one two way trip per level, ten trips when you hit milestone ranks. this is good for farming away from base too, save your location, go fill up, warp to and fro as you need to dump stuff.

at the beginning it is costly,however one you get miner or any skill to 20-25 ish money isnt really a prob by that point as your be sitting on 15-20k

1 Like

I agree with Valkirth. Though warping, at first, may seem costly you will notice your coin increase as your progressions do. I’d recommend preparing prior to warping to ensure you aren’t wasting coin going back and forth from planets but I’m sure playing with a friend will be beneficial as you can split the cost where one pays to warp to a planet and the other pays to warp back.

The cost of the warps is not final, so will be subject to change. If I remember correctly, warps could cost different amounts depending on how far apart the worlds are. Not sure what that amount will end up being though.

1 Like

I like the sound of the cost depending on how far away the planet is.

I also don’t like this and it shouldn’t work this way. The Warps shouldn’t automatically open, but instead should return to their un-triggered state.

This is the plan. It simply hasn’t been implemented yet.

2 Likes

The reason that warps cannot stay in a ‘ready to break’ state forever, is that the whole reason behind the loading/breaking state is that it hides a lot of the loading process of connecting to the world and downloading and meshing the chunks from that world, and if the warps were to be left in a ready-to-break state indefinitely, then everytime a client walks near that ready-to-break warp, they’d be connecting to the other server, downloading and meshing chunks, for absolutely no reason whatsoever wasting resources and bandwidth.

The current behaviour is for it to automatically break so that you don’t waste your coins by being too slow to open the warp, James wants it to return back to a base warp again (though we cannot return the coins to you when this happens, so you’ve spent the coins either way).

5 Likes

@lucadeltodecso

thank you so much for that description and as james stated earlier returning to the un’triggered state would be nice. i mean, in that way we wouldnt lose the blocks and can always trade location markers.

as for the cost, i still think its a little pricey even as a lvl 21ish miner. 20k is only ten warps. i love the warping enough that id probably use it quite often between worlds. more so till i have complete bases on each planet ive set foot on.

and i cant wait for same planet portals thingies. if those are still going to be a thing.

1 Like