🌤 Weather IRL

Tulsa, Oklahoma reached 105F/40.6C today, and I learned an interesting medical fact that I’m happy to share with the group.

DID YOU KNOW that taking antihistamines can interfere with your ability to sweat and, therefore, to deal with extreme heat?

I walked to the gym this afternoon at the height of the day’s heat, and I was baffled/amazed that I didn’t start to sweat until maybe the last minute of my journey, right as I approached the door. So I went and did some research after I got back home, and I found out that the diphenhydramine (Benadryl) I’d taken the night before could have inhibited that response.

3 Likes

I saw the GFS model run temps for the Great Plains, Oklahoma was especially yikes! :scream:

That is really good to know about antihistamines! I usually do take a Benadryl during the day when we go out mining - partly for allergies, but also, for some reason I get an unusual side effect from it, it increases my appetite, which lets me enjoy a nice meal afterwards (and then sleep good when we get home). But I won’t do that this time - going to be a heatwave here too, showing low 90’s around here for our mining day Saturday, which is really hot for here, as I mentioned I was having trouble with the low 80’s last Saturday!

Might go swimming Friday afternoon, and perhaps again Saturday after mining. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Weather here in 'murica is okay, I guess. I wonder how the europeans are doing now that everything is warm.

1 Like

Yesterday, it was 41°C (105.8°F) in my city in France.
Pure pleasure.

2 Likes

there was an excessive heat warning near where I am right now. Very hot

1 Like

South of england here back to a more bearable 24c after a brief exposure to how a fried egg feels.
Always have had a healthy dislike for summers and if this keeps up over next few years might have to migrate to scotland (or antarctica…) before everything spontaneously combusts.
bring on autumn!
virtual icecubes to all those still in the 40c temps. :ice_cube: :ice_cube:

1 Like

Here is my weather for the next few days. Already had 3 days of 90+

1 Like

To piggyback on this, since we’re discussing extreme heat anyway, not sweating is also a symptom of severe dehydration. If you notice yourself stop sweating and don’t have another explanation like this, you likely need to drink water.

2 Likes

I’ve just been informed of a Haboob on it’s way here. So that should be delightful. joescott

4 Likes

Can’t get enough dirt in your… everything…

1 Like

“Anikan sand meme here”
8d6

4 Likes

5/6 of those poses are a bad idea while standing outside in a haboob.

Sandy teeth.

1 Like

“Amateur weather” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had the interesting fortune to spend most of my life in the midwest and southwest of the US heh. Ridiculous heat in some places. Ridiculous humidity in some places. Ridiculous heat and humidity all around between them and yes here, have the occasional tornado thrown in!

I remember all the shock and how many explanations were required for people down here to even understand how someone dies from 100F - a temperature so low phoenicians spend months of the year wishing for it to come back :rofl:

So I don’t know but it seems like just some fun/silly conversation and an interesting weather phenomenon to me but every time I stop and think about what’s happening over all, it’s a little bit scary. How far we are ahead of certain “schedules” and “estimations” etc …

Anyways hopefully everyone gets through this with nothing more than some (relatively) minor discomfort. Especially if this is the shape of things to come.

4 Likes

Nice clear scorcher of a day for mining here!

6 Likes

The one good thing about Phoenix weather is that those, uh, estimations say very little will change here temperature-wise. I’m not going to think about water… Though I do recommend the book Water Knife.

1 Like

Hope you guys take a break and get out of the sun when you feel you need to. :white_heart:

2 Likes

That looks terribly humid, glad I’m gone lol

1 Like

Thanks! :grinning: I’m actually sitting under the cover today, a 1st for me, easier to see out in the sun, but still finding them ok. Dan insisting on staying out though… :joy:

Finding a lot of little ones, hoping for a big one though before heading off for a nice Chinese buffet meal! :yum: My energy is holding up better being under cover so think I should last at least another hour. :grinning: A swim would sure feel nice though…

4 Likes

Poolside pic from Friday… I think a bit late to head up there now and that area is PACKED. I think a lot of people coming to here to escape the worse heat elsewhere! I spent the last of my energy out in the sun, waiting for Dan to finish… then after the meal, home to AC and probably :sleeping:. I want to play a bit but will probably pass out!

4 Likes

The forum is not the place for rude pictures. Take them elsewhere.